Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #21

RE: Where to start?

One other comment... One of my big concerns if we were to buy a dual screw motor yacht or large diesel single is the ongoing costs of engine repair/maintainence. Rebuilding to big diesels is not something that we want to do. Sure any engine can need costly repairs earlier than it should. I am hoping that they are easier to stomach on small 4cyl

Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Badger wrote:
One other comment... One of my big concerns if we were to buy a dual screw motor yacht or large diesel single is the ongoing costs of engine repair/maintainence. Rebuilding to big diesels is not something that we want to do. Sure any engine can need costly repairs earlier than it should. I am hoping that they are easier to stomach on small 4cyl

*Maintenace costs on a low hour diesel are low, repair costs non-existent.* Most decent engines will outlast their owners, unless ignored.* A low end trawler diesel might go 5,000 hours - at 250 hours per year typical, that is 20 years.* A good diesel will last 20,000 to as much as 50,000 hours without major work.* That's a long time for most cruisers.* Others may have different opinions, but in 35 years of cruising, my repair bill on diesel engines is so low as to be equivalent to zero.

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Where to start?

Quote:
Delfin wrote:Most decent engines will outlast their owners, unless ignored.* A low end trawler diesel might go 5,000 hours - at 250 hours per year typical, that is 20 years.* A good diesel will last 20,000 to as much as 50,000 hours without major work.* That's a long time for most cruisers.
*Good news.* Removal of the Coot's engine would require making a large hole in the hull or removal of the pilothouse*roof.

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 16th of August 2011 07:44:52 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: NightinGayle
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 42

As a matter of interest what is the white perforated engine room lining material you have in that very neat engine room of Coot's?* The original perforated tiles used in Gemma's Er are falling to bits and I am trying to work out what to replace them with.

Cheers

Janis Kinne

"Gemma"

42 Tradewinds* Taiwanese Trawler
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Gemma wrote:
As a matter of interest what is the white perforated engine room lining material you have in that very neat engine room of Coot's?* The original perforated tiles used in Gemma's Er are falling to bits and I am trying to work out what to replace them with.
*I'm completely ignorant.* Please query Seahorse Marine and share with us.*

http://www.seahorseyachts.com/core/l...seahorsemarine&
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #26

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390

Badger,
except for the pilot house (there is a lower station) the 390 or 400 Mainship might fit your bill. Two staterooms, no exterior wood, protected sidedecks for the kids, molded in steps to the flybridge rather than a ladder. The 390 was made from 97 till 2004, the 400 replaced the 390 and started in 2003 until the present. They're pretty good boats, American made and mass produced so there's economy of scale. Mainship is made by Luhrs. They also make Silverton motoryachts and Hunter sailboats so items like hatches, microwaves, refigeraters, hardware, seating, bedding, etc are all bought in bulk keeping the price down. There's plenty of them to look at on Yachtworld.

John
Dreamers Holiday
390 Mainship
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #27

Where to start?

Quote:
FF wrote:

"Trawler... fuel efficiency and it is more about the journey than getting there."

You may have bought into a myth,

If you are serious about great fuel efficiency you are ONLY looking for a full displacement hull.

Sometimes under a trawler.

Any boat with enough engine and the proper shape to go over hull speed will cost at displacement speeds.

The cost might be minor , say +15% for a faster shaped hull, and another 15-40% for operating an oversized engine .

So a 40 ft boat that could run 2 -3 Gph would only cost 3-6 gph , not that much difference and much easier to locate.

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 16th of August 2011 03:40:12 AM
*True that!* We can run 6-7 knots on around 5gph and we are 43'.

-- Edited by Avista on Wednesday 17th of August 2011 08:00:48 PM
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Ballard, WA
Vessel Name: Time Out
Vessel Model: CHB Ponderosa 42

Regarding the washer/dryer...think twice. We have one (Splendied 6000) and are removing it because it takes up way too much space and frankly does not wash and dry more than a couple sets of child's clothes or one beach towel. Your much better off buying tokens or using quarters at the marina for you laundry.

We have 2yo and 10 yo boys and thought how cool it would be to do laundry and not have to bring their entire closest with us. Sounds good in theory but not in execution. Simply not worth the space in IMHO.
Flyguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:14 AM   #29
FF
Guru

Our technique is huge laundry bags and a folding cart to carry them.

Many marinas do have a laundry , but seldom a good one.

The local laundromat will have Wascomats or similar large commercial washers that will eat 3 loads at a time..

Usually a bunch of dryers so the TIME spent is only one load of wash and dry time, rather than all day doing 6 loads in series.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Delfin wrote:Badger wrote:

*Maintenace costs on a low hour diesel are low, repair costs non-existent.* Most decent engines will outlast their owners, unless ignored.* A low end trawler diesel might go 5,000 hours - at 250 hours per year typical, that is 20 years.* A good diesel will last 20,000 to as much as 50,000 hours without major work.* That's a long time for most cruisers.* Others may have different opinions, but in 35 years of cruising, my repair bill on diesel engines is so low as to be equivalent to zero.

I agree with Delfin.* We have 7248 hours on our single FL SP135.* We have not had to do any repairs.* We are big on*routine/preventive maintenance.* The way the engine is running now, if we keep the boat that long, we should*easily get 15-20,000 hours out of her.

We have a Splendide WD2100XC.* Lena loves the washer.* We estimate it uses about 12 gallons for the cycles we use.* The dryer is 110 volt.* It's like trying to make toast running a 220 VAC toaster*on 110 volts.* It is good though to dry damp towels.* Right now we are in the rainy season and after a shower we throw the towels in the dryer*for 20 minutes and they're*dry.*
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #31
FF
Guru

Where to start?

"Maintenace costs on a low hour diesel are low, repair costs non-existent. "

Nonsense , oil , antifreeze,filters* must be changed on TIME installed , not just on operating hours.

"Most decent engines will outlast their owners, unless ignored. "

And purchasing a used boat , how does one be sure Da Book was followed for each layup period?

A low end trawler diesel might go 5,000 hours - at 250 hours per year typical, that is 20 years.

"A good diesel will last 20,000 to as much as 50,000 hours without major work. "

Only on industrial sourced engines that work almost 24/7.

Major work on a tug or ferry is an engine removal,

an inframe , cylinders,pistons, main and rod bearings , sometimes cam bearings will usually be done 2 or 3X before 50,000 hours for major work (a machine shop) , rebuild is needed.

Once you get to tankers with 96-104 rpm engines , the life of the engine IS longer.

For most cruisers (usually under 200 hp) with an industrial engine (not a marinized farm implement or light truck engine) over 10,000 hours is a result of BOOK maint, and rare.

It is rare for a yachtie to actually wear out an engine , but to KILL an engine is common and easy to do.

Just walk away for a year or two,

-- Edited by FF on Friday 19th of August 2011 04:14:46 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #32

http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/boats.../United-States
http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/boats...red-from/China

Probably hard to justify the custom tug when these two are on the market..

What are the shipping and tax implications of the Seahorse and importing it? Hopefully capital city yachts will be at the Boats afloat show..

At what point will I loose the ability to explore? they all have 5' or more draft. The Neville is beter equipped and 85k less, lower hours, 50k in displacement?!

Nordic 37s and American Tugs are both holding their value really well.

Is there any resource out there that lists sold vs list prices?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #33

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2011...red-from/China
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004.../United-States
Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #34
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Badger - Maybe it's my server... but... I can't get your links to come up.* Copy/paste and all.* I like to watch your progress. - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #35

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=76643&url=

Try that for the Neville
Old 08-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #36

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=27944&url=

For seahorse coot. The iPad doesn't seem to cut and paste well. If you copy my links it seems to work. Or search yachtworld.com for Seahorse Coot and Neville 49.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #37
Art
Guru

Quote:
Badger wrote:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=27944&url=

For seahorse coot. The iPad doesn't seem to cut and paste well. If you copy my links it seems to work. Or search yachtworld.com for Seahorse Coot and Neville 49.

I visited... reviewed specs, picts and text on most*sizes.* Serious boat builder, look to be exceptional craft at a*fair price.* Good luck in your choice - Get It ON!!*- Art***
Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #38

Our "plan" is to spend a lot of time as a family cruising, no tv, no Internet and phones for used for emergencies. Call me kooky, but i want my family to be very tight knit. Thankfully even though we both work, we both have jobs that allow longer vacations/weekends. We moved from Colorado a year ago. If web stayed in Colorado, I would not be here, but in an RV forum asking questions.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #39
Art
Guru

Quote:
Badger wrote:
Our "plan" is to spend a lot of time as a family cruising, no tv, no Internet and phones for used for emergencies. Call me kooky, but i want my family to be very tight knit. Thankfully even though we both work, we both have jobs that allow longer vacations/weekends. We moved from Colorado a year ago. If web stayed in Colorado, I would not be here, but in an RV forum asking questions.
Badger - I understand and appreciate*your "family"*cruising plan!* Although we are in early 60's and our kids (mid 30's to early 40's) have families established; they occasionally*come with their kids*to visit on our Tolly where we anchor out and swim, lounge or play with our tow behind speed boat.* When aboard, we still don't*include any*TV or computer and I use cell for conference biz calls, when necessary.* We do bring a good selection of movies to watch at night and games for da grand kids.* You and family should experience grand times aboard.** Visiting locals, as you stay in an area, gives great opp to bicycle with the family to see the area.* Inexpensive, good exercise and great way for a close knit family tour! - Art*
Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Badger wrote:

We both took a power squadron course this summer and plan on bare chartering a few times before we decide if it is right for us.

If you're in the Puget Sound area and are interested in chartering a boat you might want to check out Northwest Explorations in Bellingham.* They have an impressive fleet of immaculate Grand Banks ranging from 36' to 52', twin and single engine.*

I'm not suggesting a Grand Banks will meet your stated requirements for your own boat--- it probably won't-- but in terms of chartering this company is very good.* Plus they are located close to the prime cruising grounds-- the northern San Juans, BC Gulf Islands, and so on.* However they, like most charter companies, do require a certain degree of experience in similar boats before they will charter a boat.

If you're really zeroing in on the Nordic Tug I believe there is at least one charter company (in Anacortes, I think) who has these in their fleet.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote