Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Glory
Vessel Model: Catalina 28
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 34
Where is the Market?

That this 42 Krogen is still for sale might be saying something about this present market, any thoughts out there?

Graham
__________________
Advertisement

coast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,740
Where is the Market?

Graham's referring to Stout. I split this post from the classifieds.
__________________

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
Guru
 
City: kemah
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 997
It's not the market, it's the price.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,955
What I've seen, being no expert...

A boat that is head and shoulders above the norm, and priced near the norm will sell fast.

A boat that is about the norm and priced below the norm will often sell fast.

A boat that is head and shoulders above the norm, and priced high might represent a great value but it will take a buyer that understands that value.

Most buyers ive seen try to get the most boat for the buck. Thats simply because either they cannot afford a higher priced unnit, or have a signifigant other in their lives that is affecting the purchase, or they underestimate what it takes to transform boat A intoo boat B. You see it all the time. Low price wins unless the boat is trashed.

My opinion is a boat that has had a ton of money spent on it is a bargain, but thats just me.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,351
Don't know about the market in USA I think you are a lot of lucky buggers with price and choice . Here in Australia there is nothing worthy of purchasing in the 35' to 42' trawler type boats for under $200000 . In the last 8 weeks I have had 4 boats surveyed and failed when it came to negation on the asking price after survey . Its seems to be a sellers market ??
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,158
Actually the market right now is good. Not 2008 good but that's fine. Brokers are dealing with a shortage of some of the boats they'd like to have. If a boat isn't selling, it's either condition or price or sometimes location. The other major reason is not using a broker and getting that exposure. The vast majority of boats in that price range are sold by brokers.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Guru
 
JohnP's Avatar
 
City: Toms River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,109
I always loved the design concept of the kk42's. However all the recent threads about expensive fixes of waterlogged bottoms has turned me off.


Yachtworld has a 1997 KK42 in Fla with a solid frp bottom This seems like the way to go or even a newer 39.


IMHO JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,181
Having a good KK 42' on the market for a while could mean all kinds of things not to do with the market trend. Compromises, people putting money down to hold, deals not jelling from lack of finance-ability, promises, Brokers, personalities, and even interests inside the KK community itself......way too many reasons to speculate.
__________________
Larry

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #9
Guru
 
JDCAVE's Avatar
 
City: Lions Bay, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I always loved the design concept of the kk42's. However all the recent threads about expensive fixes of waterlogged bottoms has turned me off.

Yachtworld has a 1997 KK42 in Fla with a solid frp bottom This seems like the way to go or even a newer 39.

IMHO JohnP

I think the whole waterlogged bottom issue is overblown. It's rare, I believe and can depend on how it is store in cold climates. Two surveyors "sounded" the hull on PH and it came up fine. She's hull 90, 1985.

As for the price of Stout? I haven't seen the boat. PH is also a 1985, with new fuel tanks, ESI fuel polishing system, new raised helm, new genny, teaks removed and side and fore decks refinished, new fridge and freezer, new propane range, new Tecma heads. While she doesn't have hydraulic stabilizers, she does have poles and paravanes, which is my preference. Compared to the boats I've been on, she's on the high end of an'85 model and we purchased her for <$200k. I consider myself very lucky to have her, particularly, with the Canadian $ plummeting since we purchased.

I'm aware of a very late model KK42 that went very close to her asking price of $450k+. She was impeccably maintained.


Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,086
The asking price for Stout went down significantly a few weeks ago iirc. Great boat, but even with all the upgrades and being in such nice condition, it is still an old boat. I would think with the asking price being lowered, it will sell soon.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #11
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,714
How much does it cost to sell a boat through a broker?
A percentage of the sale price I assume .... 6% .. 10% ?
If I tried to sell Willy myself I'd probably ruin many sales w my direct mouth.
When the time comes it would'nt hurt to get some scope.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #12
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
How much does it cost to sell a boat through a broker?
A percentage of the sale price I assume .... 6% .. 10% ?
If I tried to sell Willy myself I'd probably ruin many sales w my direct mouth.
When the time comes it would'nt hurt to get some scope.
It costs 10%. With any boat of appreciable value such as the one in question, it just broadens the potential buyer pool.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #13
TF Site Team
 
dimer2's Avatar
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,193
Some brokers also have a minimum of $5K. So it's 10% on boats costing >$50K and a flat $5K on boats of less than $50K. I am sure this varies by broker.
__________________
No one who achieves success does so without acknowledging the help of others.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #14
TF Site Team
 
Bay Pelican's Avatar
 
City: Chicago, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,790
The expensive add-ons for a boat like a Krogen 42 are seldom recovered. The boat may sell faster, but there is a price level for each year of a boat's make. Much higher than that price and the boat won't sell.

Our stabilizers, dinghy crane, solar and wind generation, fiberglass deck (as opposed to teak) new tanks, built in furniture, etc will just get the boat sold, not much higher in price than a boat without those features.

That is why if you can buy the boat with everything on it you want.
__________________
Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #15
KMA
Senior Member
 
City: Merritt Island
Country: U.S.
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 471
10% is correct. However, you can also work a deal with your listing broker, such that if he/she winds up handling both ends of the deal, the commission is cut to 7-8%. Most will agree to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It costs 10%. With any boat of appreciable value such as the one in question, it just broadens the potential buyer pool.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,740
KK42's value peaked in 2006/2007. I don't think those values will ever be met a again. Given the 8 plus years since then and the economy, can you say depreicating asset?

We've owned Hobo going on nine years and hope to have for another 5-10. When it's time to sell she will priced in the lower end to sell her. She doesn't owe us much now and even less later.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #17
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
IMO todays buyer is often unfamiliar with the size boat they are looking at and is unable to tell a well maintained boat from one that is not so they buy exclusively on price.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #18
Guru
 
JDCAVE's Avatar
 
City: Lions Bay, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
IMO todays buyer is often unfamiliar with the size boat they are looking at and is unable to tell a well maintained boat from one that is not so they buy exclusively on price.

...and yet within the same make and model, we found that a higher priced vessel does not necessarily mean it's in better condition. That said, I'm certain that Stout is a very nice boat from what I've been able to determine from the website.


Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #19
Guru
 
Carolena's Avatar
 
City: DC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 605
Stout is an amazing boat, IMHO, and worth much more than the sum of her parts. That said, another issue aside from those already mentioned here is financing. I assume that due to her age there are few if any banks that would consider giving a loan on the boat, and the fact is that there are not many people who are able to simply cut a check for close to $300k (and those who are able to do so may very likely be looking at newer boats). That also shortens the potential buyer pool. Also, I think most people do searches on Yachtworld based on criteria, including price, and if someone is searching for a 1985 boat, they may very well have put the search price much lower. All this said, for someone Stout is going to be a very, very nice boat.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #20
Guru
 
JDCAVE's Avatar
 
City: Lions Bay, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
Stout is an amazing boat, IMHO, and worth much more than the sum of her parts. That said, another issue aside from those already mentioned here is financing. I assume that due to her age there are few if any banks that would consider giving a loan on the boat, and the fact is that there are not many people who are able to simply cut a check for close to $300k (and those who are able to do so may very likely be looking at newer boats). That also shortens the potential buyer pool. Also, I think most people do searches on Yachtworld based on criteria, including price, and if someone is searching for a 1985 boat, they may very well have put the search price much lower. All this said, for someone Stout is going to be a very, very nice boat.

The KK42 market is a tight one. I met a fellow who was actively looking for 5 years with one failed offer before settling on a private sale. He looked at a lot of boats over that time. When the really good ones come up they go for near what the current owner is asking: these were both 1998 models and the people who bought them knew the owner and how these vessels were cared for. The knowledgeable buyers of these boats have a clear idea of what they want and are willing to wait for the right boat.



Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
__________________

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012