Where Have All The Smaller Trawlers Gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most boats in SE Alaska don't go jery far as most all the time they are fishing. And one dosn't need to go far to catch fish. So an OB powered Uniflite makes perfect sense.

Some people get their kicks from insulting other people on the Internet. Hiding behind a keyboard gives them a feeling of safety.

I made the mistake once of showing a photo album of my boat to some relatively new friends. Then I realized that my boat cost perhaps double
what their (mobile) home cost. And I have a nice home and the boat.

Marin was the one that made hay w the expression "toy boats" and I don't think he had in mind insulting anybody. IMO he was just drawing attention to the fact that our boats are 100% recreational.

But strictly speaking I can see where Mark's coming from as it literally belittles our recreational boats ..... boats that we spent lots of money and time on not to mention part of our hearts. So Mark I suggest you think of it as playing w words. And there are times when we need to focus on the fact that our boats are just for fun ... several kinds of fun I might add. Some very serious and some not so serious.

Marin was the one that made hay w the expression "toy boats" and I don't think he had in mind insulting anybody. IMO he was just drawing attention to the fact that our boats are 100% recreational.

But strictly speaking I can see where Mark's coming from as it literally belittles our recreational boats ..... boats that we spent lots of money and time on not to mention part of our hearts. So Mark I suggest you think of it as playing w words. And there are times when we need to focus on the fact that our boats are just for fun ... several kinds of fun I might add. Some very serious and some not so serious.

I agree - Toy word in "Toy Boats" = The word Joy in the way I think. So we could say "Joy Boats" Pleasure boats are a pure Joy of a Toy... usually - lol!

WOW Alaska is expensive !!!!!,

Yep, and it is going to become even more as the oil money drys up. The good news it will keep low life out as the 'Free Stuff' dries up with it. Plus, Thank God for the Canadian border on both ends. Sort of like a peaceful mine field or more, a 'Trump' like fence.:D:D:D:thumb:

Al-Ketchikan

He posted it a couple of times so I think it was an insult. Perhaps if he meant something else he should have posted what he meant and not tried to be "cute".

I think we know our recreational boats are recreational boats. we don't need anyone telling us that.

He posted it a couple of times so I think it was an insult. Perhaps if he meant something else he should have posted what he meant and not tried to be "cute".

I think we know our recreational boats are recreational boats. we don't need anyone telling us that.

Wes - I say in due respect: Please realize you are in the realm of some tough ol' salts. Not our first day on the beach; i.e., we taint' always nice as can be. Sometimes we get into dog fights with one another. Crass and/or funny an/or insulting and/or fairly smart or stupid items can be said by any contributor... some are more prone to banter/disagreements than others. Some words/sentences may sound odd and could be interpreted differently than intended by the poster, with no harm intended. Then again, sometimes bullets are being fired. Duck when necessary!

Bottom line: Just like football... If you can't take the game then don't suite up!

WesK,
"Being cute" ..... Yup there's a little smart ass in all of us.

Marin has posted thousands of cute posts. Even his dog can attest to that.

Most boats in SE Alaska don't go jery far as most all the time they are fishing. And one dosn't need to go far to catch fish. So an OB powered Uniflite makes perfect sense.

When acquaintances hear I have a boat, they ask if I fish. "No I don't" I reply. They respond with a look like I'm insane. I "fish" at the supermarket, or better yet, at a fish restaurant. Operating the boat is sufficient.

When acquaintances hear I have a boat, they ask if I fish. "No I don't" I reply. They respond with a look like I'm insane. I "fish" at the supermarket, or better yet, at a fish restaurant. Operating the boat is sufficient.

My experience has been the same.

Same here, Mark. When they ask - I simply say I left fishing back in the Atlantic. And that...Now I'm no longer a fisherman... bit rather... I'm a pleasure boaterman!

I sincerely hope that this is the toughest issue we have to deal with in 2016:).

In Aussie we have a saying, (usually spoken with a degree of envy), along the lines of "big boys, and their toys", and they are referring to wealthy folk, with things like Ferraris, planes, helicopters...and very large and flashy boats..! Horses for courses...or should that be, "if the cap fits?"...

WesK,
"Being cute" ..... Yup there's a little smart ass in all of us.

Marin has posted thousands of cute posts. Even his dog can attest to that.
Best I can work it out, Marin`s work, among other things, is journalism. So, expect writer`s flourishes.

We have an annual show/exhibition called "Big Boy's Toys".
It is billed as the men's lifestyle show and features top end cars, motorbikes, boats, sports equipment etc, etc.
Just a tongue-in-cheek promotional title in no way considered derogatory.
Maybe it's a downunder thing��

We have a ton of fun operating the boat, watching the critters, taking in the scenery, anchoring in remote places etc etc. But we also enjoy fishing, not least because we have some of the finest freshest seafood one could ask for.

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

20140720_163902.jpg

DSC_0684.JPG

IMG_5601.JPG

Truth be known, if in Alaska on your yacht and you don't fish you are sometimes labeled a toy boater. I am usually a toy boater in that we have much more fun fishing from a day charter. Especially with guests on board who want to catch something rather than get skunked.

The first time I heard the term toy boater applied was a very long time ago on Long Island when referring to weekend racers who always had droopy sails.

Mark, get your inverter fixed so you can enjoy your VESSEL a bit more. I'm the same, when something is broke I am sensitive too.

Same thing when someone asks you how this or that sports team is doing w/o even knowing if you ever watch sports. It's a way of supporting or promoting something.

Either that or the words are coming from someone that is so hopelessly emersed in the sport that they don't know the rest of the world exists.

Last edited:
Same thing when someone asks you how this or that sports team is doing w/o even knowing if you ever watch sports. It's a way of supporting or promoting something.

Either that or the words are coming from someone that is hopelessly emersed in the sport that they don't know the rest of the world exists.

Well Eric, that said are you rooting for the Seahawks over the Cardinals today? Huge interest down here in the outcome, parties too!

We have an annual show/exhibition called "Big Boy's Toys".
It is billed as the men's lifestyle show and features top end cars, motorbikes, boats, sports equipment etc, etc.
Just a tongue-in-cheek promotional title in no way considered derogatory.
Maybe it's a downunder thing��

Wifey B: Women can have lifestyle too. I like top end cars, boats and sports equipment plus the etc, etc. No motorbikes for either of us. :)

So, if a woman has a boy toy, then guess that makes them "Boy Toy's Big Boy Toys."

I don't think part of it is just a downunder thing. I do think it's a generational thing. I know a lot of girls into hot cars and into boats and into lots of participatory sports as well as spectator and a few even into motorbikes.

Although I quite imagine the one who started this whole toy thing meant it to be insulting, I don't personally take it that way were it to come from another source, but then I like toys.

Last edited:
Well Eric, that said are you rooting for the Seahawks over the Cardinals today? Huge interest down here in the outcome, parties too!

Sadly, football is over for the year. On a happy note - The Ravens won their Superbowl last week! :D

We also have "Women's Lifestyle Shows"!
Both these descriptions reinforce stereotypes and many women here are into these "boy's toys" but correctly interpret the expression as just marketing hype.
I guess it does come back to the intent of the original statement though!

We also have "Women's Lifestyle Shows"!
Both these descriptions reinforce stereotypes and many women here are into these "boy's toys" but correctly interpret the expression as just marketing hype.
I guess it does come back to the intent of the original statement though!

Wifey B: I also think "Women's Lifestyle Shows" as a title is a very poor concept. Most of what we have in the US are "Home and Garden" or "Auto" or "Boat and RV". As to the "Women's Lifestyle Shows" that could really limit the men attending and many men are very interested in things that would be displayed there. They might think it's going to be all about makeup or jewelry or clothing. Now, I'm even wondering what is included in a women's lifestyle show.

The stereotypical nature of the aforementioned two shows is also atypical! Women after all first won the right to vote in NZ!
The majority of trade and other "expos" here have names like "Boat Show", "On Water Boat Show", "Auckland Food Fair", "Taste of Auckland" and so on.
The "Taste of Auckland" consists of demos by top Kiwi chefs, gourmet food products, inexpensive small portions of fine dining signature dishes at great prices (attendees 50/50 male and female).
No more drift . ��

Last edited:

Eric and I are having a discussion(Debate?) on another thread. He had the nerve to interrupt the Seahawk/cardinal game, so that question you asked of him is pretty well answered. Without knowing of this thread discussion direction, I had advised him later. 'Go Hawks" :thumb: That they did, yes in deedied and I am somewhat suspect that the outcome disappointed at least one poster on this thread:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::D

Eric, I am responding regarding Mark on the correct thread-:flowers:

Al-Ketchikan

Looks like Great Harbour has updated the web page on their new Transportable Trawler.

Great Harbour N37 trawler: spacious, stable, unsinkable - Great Harbour Trawlers

There is an interesting survey on the bottom of the page. They say the TT is in production but some of the choices in the survey seem interesting to include having systems like a generator and AC that will run on land or water. Almost like you can spend the night on you boat while it is on the trailer.

On the home page, apparently the first TT Ambassadors have been chosen and there is still one opening. The chosen Ambassadors are from the west coast of FL.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom