Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2015, 02:09 PM   #161
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I remember seeing a trawler with an outboard engine on eBay years ago. Speculation was that it was a "dock queen" and could probably be moved from slip to slip.


I think the difference in torque, not horse power is what is keeping inboards the favorite power for trawlers. We are typically trying to move a heavy boat at a slow speed. Outboards are better at moving lighter boats at higher speeds.


Also, a slow RPM inboard is likely to have a longer service life than a high speed outboard.


And then there's the choice of fuel. For a boat we may be living on for months at a time, many of us would feel safer sitting on top of 200 gallons of diesel than 200 gallons of gasoline. And, diesel is more economical to operate.
There are outboards with very high torque designed for work boats. Mercury calls their commercial line "SeaPro". Yamaha has a High Thrust series.

Engine life would be an issue but not to the average user and when one dies you just clamp another on.
__________________
Advertisement

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #162
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Can you fit a 22" prop to an outboard?
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:38 PM   #163
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Can you fit a 22" prop to an outboard?
Diameter or pitch?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:04 PM   #164
Member
 
City: Marietta
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 10
Hi to all,
Happy New Year to Everyone!
I have been shopping for a used entry level cruiser in the $50,000 range and have found several 31 to 39 foot cruisers all built between 1988 and 1996.
I really like the layout of the 31 & 34 Mainship sedan Bridge boats built between 1995 & 1999. In fact I have a 1996 Mainship 31 under contract. As soon as it's rebuilt gas engines are installed and checked out I will take ownership.
I have also run across a Mainship 34 for $10,000 more. I like the extra size particularly in the cabin. The benefits of the slightly older 31 are that it will have newly rebuilt twin gas engines and as a solo captain it will be easier to cruise. The 34 is 3 years newer but it's engines have many hours on them. The 31 has gas engines and the 34 has Diesel engines. Both are well maintained and nicely appointed. The 31 comes with its own dingy and its owners say they will assist me via phone advice if and when I experience that "strange noise" that I cannot find its source.
I appreciate any advice y'all are willing to share about these boats as I make my final selection. I have read a lot of the threads regarding gas vs Diesel engines as well as single vs twins. Frankly as a gas boat owner al, my life I have no preference of one over the other. I will only buy a twin engine powered boat to go off shore. And I intend to cruise the entire Caribbean while I am physically able to do so.
BTW: I have seen several Carvers and Silvertons with the bridge to bow cut and built in steps that I find very appealing...considering I will be a solo cruiser most of the time.
Thanks
Tebeau169
tebeau169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #165
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebeau169 View Post
Hi to all,
Happy New Year to Everyone!
I have been shopping for a used entry level cruiser in the $50,000 range and have found several 31 to 39 foot cruisers all built between 1988 and 1996.
I really like the layout of the 31 & 34 Mainship sedan Bridge boats built between 1995 & 1999. In fact I have a 1996 Mainship 31 under contract. As soon as it's rebuilt gas engines are installed and checked out I will take ownership.
I have also run across a Mainship 34 for $10,000 more. I like the extra size particularly in the cabin. The benefits of the slightly older 31 are that it will have newly rebuilt twin gas engines and as a solo captain it will be easier to cruise. The 34 is 3 years newer but it's engines have many hours on them. The 31 has gas engines and the 34 has Diesel engines. Both are well maintained and nicely appointed. The 31 comes with its own dingy and its owners say they will assist me via phone advice if and when I experience that "strange noise" that I cannot find its source.
I appreciate any advice y'all are willing to share about these boats as I make my final selection. I have read a lot of the threads regarding gas vs Diesel engines as well as single vs twins. Frankly as a gas boat owner al, my life I have no preference of one over the other. I will only buy a twin engine powered boat to go off shore. And I intend to cruise the entire Caribbean while I am physically able to do so.
BTW: I have seen several Carvers and Silvertons with the bridge to bow cut and built in steps that I find very appealing...considering I will be a solo cruiser most of the time.
Thanks
Tebeau169
It sounds like you've considered all the issues appropriately. You've heard the arguments both ways. I'm only confused by you saying you have one boat under contract and then talking about making your final selection. Under contract implies you did already.

You considered the pros and cons. Now, just enjoy.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #166
Guru
 
dhmeissner's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,326
Ranger Tugs R-23
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	47797  
__________________
Dave & Suzie - Roughwater 35
http://thepromiserwb1029.org/2012/09...the-promise-2/
dhmeissner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #167
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Looking up "marriage" in the dictionary would indicate that it is a union between a man and a woman. You know how that goes.

Words change in meaning over time and the new meaning is accepted as the meaning. Remember what "gay" used to mean?

So is your boat a true "trawler" in the traditional sense of the word? How about the rest of the member's boats" Why is this the "Trawler Forum" if our boats are not true trawlers?

As far as being a "toy" boat", for what I paid for it and what I use it for, it's no more a "toy" than my car or truck (or my home).
WK - Do you need your boat such as you may need a car, truck, or house? Well, you may need the boat because you use it for income via net or line fishing; then it is not a toy and it is a trawler! If you use the boat for enjoyment only... then it is a Pleasure Boat, not a trawler... and you do not need it in the same way as car, truck, house!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #168
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorenm View Post
The other thing to consider is that the tow ratings of even a new 1/2 ton pick up are much higher than they were even 10 years ago. You can option a F150/1500 to tow over 10k pounds. Would you want to tow it every week - probably not - hell I wouldn't want to tow a 3k boat that often not because of the towing but because of the ramp hassle and time suck. However, if we are talking about towing once in a while to move from one cruising ground to the other that it a whole different animal - and a modern F150 is more than civilized enough to act as a daily driver. You can even cheat on the beam a bit because the permit for a slightly oversized load is pretty easy and cheap to get in most states (nor are you likely to get cited if you failed to get the permit).
Be careful... If an accident can be proven to have occurred due to (or even been assisted by because of) a non permitted item's width on the road... well, think about how the the verdict could turn out on that case.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #169
Veteran Member
 
City: Toledo
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Be careful... If an accident can be proven to have occurred due to (or even been assisted by because of) a non permitted item's width on the road... well, think about how the the verdict could turn out on that case.
Fair point - and my tolerance to risk is rather low so I wouldn't do it (I don't let my girlfriend drive the rental car in my name either - I tell her its because of liability...;-) - however I do know that it is pretty standard practice to tow over width center consoles (particularly in Florida) without pulling the permit and it is rarely an issue. The absence of tie down straps is much more likely to get you nailed, especially on HWY 1.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:58 PM   #170
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Diameter or pitch?
Band-B,
I would think a 22" prop would definitely be 22" in dia.

WesK,
I don't think torque is of much value on a trawler. At least pushing the boat. Horse power is what pushes the boat. But the concept of a heavy trawler fits the big slow turning engine. Dosn't push the boat any better but fit the concept much better. And for the OB engine it probably will last longer than most old trawler drivers have time to drive them. But Wes has a point ..... trawler props should be fairly large both to align w the concept of a trawler and to drive it well. And if it's fast of course it isn't a trawler.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:10 PM   #171
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Band-B,
I would think a 22" prop would definitely be 22" in dia.

WesK,
I don't think torque is of much value on a trawler. At least pushing the boat. Horse power is what pushes the boat. But the concept of a heavy trawler fits the big slow turning engine. Dosn't push the boat any better but fit the concept much better. And for the OB engine it probably will last longer than most old trawler drivers have time to drive them. But Wes has a point ..... trawler props should be fairly large both to align w the concept of a trawler and to drive it well. And if it's fast of course it isn't a trawler.
I didn't want to guess what he meant. I'm not aware of 22" diameter props on outboards but that doesn't mean they aren't there. What is more common is adding blades and using different designs. I'm not an expert on outboards but typically 16 inches or so is a large diameter.

Still I see no difficulty in designing an outboard setup to power a 45-50' trawler type boat. It would be done with multiple outboards making up whatever the desired hp since the commercially set up work type engines are typically not in the largest hp.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:30 PM   #172
Veteran Member
 
City: Key West
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 37
I'd like to weigh in, if I may RE: lack of affordable small boats. Three years ago, I followed this advice in a boating forum: "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford. Buy the smallest boat you can live aboard". My boat? A 2003 Rosborough RF-246 on which I've spent the last three summers. Based on Cape Cod, I've taken her to Canada, Maine, Long Island Sound, as well as enjoying local waters. While not luxe, the Rossi is very comfortable, has a full galley, adequate sleeping and dining arrangements, and a generous covered cockpit. Fuel, maintenance and storage are well within my budget, and I don't spend a lot of time at dock. For those interested, Eastern Boats now is producing the Rosborough, and offering three cabin configurations. Oh, and the Rossi holds it price well. A pre-owned Rossi seldom stays on the market for long. Happy New Year.
Co-Captain - Grumpy Old Men '03 Rosborough RF-246
Uncleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:44 PM   #173
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,670
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
WK - Do you need your boat such as you may need a car, truck, or house? Well, you may need the boat because you use it for income via net or line fishing; then it is not a toy and it is a trawler! If you use the boat for enjoyment only... then it is a Pleasure Boat, not a trawler... and you do not need it in the same way as car, truck, house!
This whole argy bargy about what is a trawler or not goes away if you just stick the word 'style' in there. (Most of) our boats are just 'trawler style' coastal cruisers...period.
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #174
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
This whole argy bargy about what is a trawler or not goes away if you just stick the word 'style' in there. (Most of) our boats are just 'trawler style' coastal cruisers...period.
I'll go with that!

But...

Trawler Style Forum.... might not float. And, "Trawler Style" could be one too many words for Madison Av. type marketers.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #175
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I'll go with that!

But...

Trawler Style Forum.... might not float. And, "Trawler Style" could be one too many words for Madison Av. type marketers.
Wifey B: Plus it won't p.... off you know who....
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #176
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,691
[QUOTE=Uncleg44;400276]I'd like to weigh in, if I may RE: lack of affordable small boats. Three years ago, I followed this advice in a boating forum: "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford. Buy the smallest boat you can live aboard".

This concept serves a number of us in the smaller boat class, I'd say Trawler, but- - - - - -
When we sold our 30 foot tug, we thought about moving up in size to gain additional comfort associating that with increased room. However a driving consideration was the known time frame for being on stall rental in the 32-38 foot range and not wanting to be moved around on a temporary basis till a stall was available and reasonably placed within the harbors, I chose to retain our 30 foot stall and find a boat that would serve. We did. As we are a couple and not known to gather a crowd when we boat, a sleeping accomadations with the normal bow bunks worked well, Yes, we have a fold out settee for those rare needed times. So we DOWN Sized to a 27 foot rig and think we did well.

[/URL][/IMG]

And folks, you see that I am coming along on learning to post photos!!


Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:02 AM   #177
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Congratulations Al, have been waiting for a photo of your boat when it wasn't so camera shy. Looks roughly comparable to the Prairie 29.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:46 AM   #178
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Congratulations Al, have been waiting for a photo of your boat when it wasn't so camera shy. Looks roughly comparable to the Prairie 29.
Thankeeee

But Art, when along side the 26 foot Tolly, it is very over bearning in all departments'
wider, higher hull, house and fly bridge tower over the 26.


Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:38 AM   #179
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,981
[QUOTE=Al;400288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleg44 View Post
I'd like to weigh in, if I may RE: lack of affordable small boats. Three years ago, I followed this advice in a boating forum: "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford. Buy the smallest boat you can live aboard".

This concept serves a number of us in the smaller boat class, I'd say Trawler, but- - - - - -
When we sold our 30 foot tug, we thought about moving up in size to gain additional comfort associating that with increased room. However a driving consideration was the known time frame for being on stall rental in the 32-38 foot range and not wanting to be moved around on a temporary basis till a stall was available and reasonably placed within the harbors, I chose to retain our 30 foot stall and find a boat that would serve. We did. As we are a couple and not known to gather a crowd when we boat, a sleeping accomadations with the normal bow bunks worked well, Yes, we have a fold out settee for those rare needed times. So we DOWN Sized to a 27 foot rig and think we did well.

[/URL][/IMG]

And folks, you see that I am coming along on learning to post photos!!


Al-Ketchikan
Looks like a cousin to Tollycraft. Monk have anything to do with design?
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:39 AM   #180
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Plus it won't p.... off you know who....
You mean Mr. "M"?!?!
__________________

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012