Old 12-24-2015, 01:34 AM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Again.....to build my boat today would cost 2.5 to 3 times what I paid for a 9 year old OA 42. To buy new is a waste of money when one can buy an older pedigreed boat and fix the warts and pimples for a hell uv a lot less money!
Walt I am hoping that might in the end swing a sale in my direction, because although down under here we do have several makers of boats in the 32' and up categories, they are still pretty costly compared to what I am asking...and I've fixed most of those 'warts & pimples' already...

Check out the Integrity series here...'course, if I won Lotto or Powerball...

Integrity Boats - Home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image042.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	47626  

Old 12-24-2015, 01:45 AM   #42
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Where Have All The Smaller Trawlers Gone?

Continued good luck in the sale of Lotus Pete, seems odd the amount of Aussies coming on this forum looking to import used. A fool like me would think well loved boats would sell easier locally.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:07 AM   #43

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Great Harbour builds new N37

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rive View Post
Great Harbour has announce a trailerable trawler powered by 2 outboards. If I read their website correctly it will be 35 feet long. Introductory price is $215k. Built in Florida. It will be interesting to see if they get many takers.
Great Harbour (Gainsville FL) is also again building the N37. It is a great small trawler with big trawler space. Full standup engine room is to die for! Quality built and engineered for long life and easy maintenance. Check-out this time lapse video!

Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #44
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
If one has the funds to strike quickly, there were/are really good deals to be found on newer or new boats and houses. Sometimes the builder will give a sweetheart deal on a new vessel just to keep the doors open. The bigger vessels can be the better deals. As noted, the build costs for a 35 footer may be surprisingly close to the same builders 45.

Three or four years ago many very well known boat builders had stopped building smaller vessels entirely. But they kept selling a few larger vessels. I know of a new larger one already built where the buyer went bankrupt before final payments completed. It could be had for about 70% of build price. Another case where hull had been started and the buyer had gone belly up after first amounts paid up. Houses in my area the same kind of deals.

Boating has always been expensive whether big or small. Toy things tend to be that way. Buying the larger baubles at a very large discount is indeed possible.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #45

City: Lewiston
Vessel Name: Salty Paws
Vessel Model: 2003 Rosborough 246 HSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The small trawler business is pretty strong. Ranger Tug sales are booming. Both AT and NT have pretty decent sales numbers reported for the 32 and 34 foot models. Back Cove is doing quite well. North Pacific continues to make decent vessels. Helmsman is moving a few new ones. Yada yada.

The market remains rife with decent 35 to 40 footers in the used recycle bin. John T, they are out there, not sure I understand the concern.
And don't forget about the Rosborough 246, now being made by Eastern!
Salty Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #46
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottsville View Post
Great Harbour (Gainsville FL) is also again building the N37. It is a great small trawler with big trawler space. Full standup engine room is to die for! Quality built and engineered for long life and easy maintenance.
But they REALLY would rather sell you a GH74 if you got $4M of spare change.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #47
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Who exactly is the target demographic for the "Smaller Trawler"? If we ignore the fast trawlers and cruisers, it's boaters who are retired because they have the time. But they wouldn't live on the boat full time because it's "small". So they have to keep their house.

These are the people who - previously - pulled a couple of hundred thousand dollars out of their home values by refinancing or a HELOC. But with houses just now recovering in most parts of the country to their prior levels, there's a "lost decade" of appreciation.

And then you have all the old fiberglass trawlers and cruisers - they haven't gone anywhere (though many have gone "downhill"). There just isn't any way for a new small trawler to compete with those boats in any kind of substantial market.

And the race for larger boats continues. My YC has its own Bayliner 45/47/49 motoryacht fleet, but the new jump is to older 50-52 Oceans (MKII and newer) - we have a row of 5 of them (3 added to the club this year). As these larger boats continue to ratchet down in price everyone wants to go larger. And with diesel fuel locally sitting at $2.19 there's no incentive to go "small".
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #48
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Who exactly is the target demographic for the "Smaller Trawler"? If we ignore the fast trawlers and cruisers, it's boaters who are retired because they have the time. But they wouldn't live on the boat full time because it's "small". So they have to keep their house..
Or like me, they choose to keep a house for various reasons. Not everyone's dream is to sail (or motor) off into the sunset.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #49

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
Another desire some us have is for a trailerable trawler. Our Albing 25 is ideal for us. We like the Albin's economy in both price and power compared to a C-Dory 23 or 25.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
We lived on Bay Pelican continuously for 14 months and now do so for four to five months a year. At 42 feet she is sufficient and comfortable. We found we are limited, however, to only 35 guests for a cocktail party at anchor.

For every benefit I can think of with a larger boat I can think of a downside. I concede that someone who has lived on a 48 foot boat may have the same thoughts.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #51
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
If one has the funds to strike quickly, there were/are really good deals to be found on newer or new boats and houses. Sometimes the builder will give a sweetheart deal on a new vessel just to keep the doors open. The bigger vessels can be the better deals. As noted, the build costs for a 35 footer may be surprisingly close to the same builders 45.

Three or four years ago many very well known boat builders had stopped building smaller vessels entirely. But they kept selling a few larger vessels. I know of a new larger one already built where the buyer went bankrupt before final payments completed. It could be had for about 70% of build price. Another case where hull had been started and the buyer had gone belly up after first amounts paid up. Houses in my area the same kind of deals.
The problem on any of those deals is they are so dangerous and too often the only way you'll get the boat finished is by buying the builder. Also, when businesses are insolvent and about to go under, quality becomes a major issue. I want to be sure anyone I buy a boat from or order one from is financially stable and can complete the job with quality.

I've also seen a lot of those great deals that were not as advertised. Northern Marine is the first name to come to my mind. They were giving anyone who would buy an unbelievable deal, but then those boats were never completed.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #52
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Nick View Post
Another desire some us have is for a trailerable trawler. Our Albing 25 is ideal for us. We like the Albin's economy in both price and power compared to a C-Dory 23 or 25.
It seems most here have a hard time focusing on small boats.

The Albin 25 is a real solid classic boat. I could say .. "nothing else like it" but there are numerous boats on the continent similar .. but nothing in the US. The SeaDory isn't comparable at all. They are more like a flat bottomed OB skiff .. well that what they are. I like them .. would actually buy one but they are unbeliveablly high priced. Makes me think "I could build one for peanuts compared" .. may actually do that. But as a trawler there's no comparison.

Very few posts on this thread here are about small boats. Is my boat small? .. in the trawler world? .. I'd say yes .. and add that anything bigger is mid-sized+. But I can see if you own a 48' boat a 34 CHB could be viewed as small. Only if there are only two sizes .. big and small would that fly in my eyes. I view this w at least 3 and likely 4 size catergories.

So what about the small boats? You could almost say there's no such thing as a trailerable trawler .. especially an OB. The only boat under 30' that I can think of as a trawler is the Albin. Or something like Andrews boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #53
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
It seems most here have a hard time focusing on small boats.
Exactly. There's been a bit of thread drift here.... But as you say, Small is relative. You, I and Al appear to be the only "Small" boat owners here...
Old 12-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Exactly. There's been a bit of thread drift here.... But as you say, Small is relative. You, I and Al appear to be the only "Small" boat owners here...
Well, the OP never defined what boats he was referring to so everyone's debating based on their own assumptions. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with the OP's premise until I hear what it really is.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #55
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, the OP never defined what boats he was referring to so everyone's debating based on their own assumptions. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with the OP's premise until I hear what it really is.
Well there you have it Ollie, couldn't have said it better myself! Now, Stan, please stop trying to be so smart... never worked for you before. Gee Ollie, why do you always say that? Stan, that question's reasoning enough... please try and think about it!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Well there you have it Ollie, couldn't have said it better myself! Now, Stan, please stop trying to be so smart... never worked for you before. Gee Ollie, why do you always say that? Stan, that question's reasoning enough... please try and think about it!!

Wifey B:

Abbott: Well, lets see, on the team we have uh Whos on first, Whats on second, I Don't Know is on third
Costello: Are you the manager?
Abbott: Yes.
Costello: You know the guys names?
Abbott: I sure do.
Costello: Then tell me the guys names.
Abbott: I say, Whos on first, Whats on second, I Dont Knows on third and then you
Costello: You the manager?
Costello: You know the guys names?
Abbott: Im telling you their names!
Costello: Well whos on first?
Abbott: Yeah.
Costello: Go ahead and tell me.
Abbott: Who.
Costello: The guy on first.
Costello: The guy playin first base.
Abbott: Who is on first!
Costello: What are you askin me for? Im askin you!
Abbott: Im not asking you, Im telling you.
Costello: You aint tellin me nothin. Im askin you, whos on first?
Abbott: Thats it!
Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.
Abbott: Who!
Costello: The guy on first base.
Abbott: Thats his name.
Costello: Thats whose name?
Abbott: Thats the mans name!
Costello: Thats whose name?
Abbott: Yeah!
Costello: Well go ahead and tell me!
Abbott: Who is on first.
Costello: What are you askin me for? Im askin you, whos on first?
Abbott: Thats it.
Abbott: Thats it.
Costello: Whats the guys name on first?
Abbott: No, Whats on second.
Costello: Im not askin you whos on second!
Abbott: Whos on first.
Costello: Thats what Im askin you! Whos on first?
Abbott: Now wait a minute. Dontdont change the players.
Costello: Im not changin nobody! I asked you a simple question. Whats the guys name on first base?
Abbott: Whats the guys name on second base.

Just a little excerpt....
Old 12-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #57
Guru

My boat was originally built and sold as a 28' boat. That's on the documentation. In later years it was sold as a 31' boat but it's the same boat, they just added in the swim platform and anchor pulpit to the length designation.

Either way, I consider it pretty small for a trawler, yet both me and my wife plus a small dog have cruised on it for as long as 2 1/2 months. A small boat has a few compromises like a combined head and shower but it's less expensive to buy and maintain and less expensive to cruise.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #58
Guru

[QUOTE=WesK;398462]My boat was originally built and sold as a 28' boat.
Either way, I consider it pretty small for a trawler, yet both me and my wife plus a small dog have cruised on it for as long as 2 1/2 months. A small boat has a few compromises like a combined head and shower but it's less expensive to buy and maintain and less expensive to cruise.
E]
Totally agree.
Back in the 80s my wife and I cruised on 30 ft sail boats and 28 ft power . We considered our cruising boating. There was plenty of room but you always knew you were on a boat. Today many cruising couples don't want to be boating so much as taking the comforts of home with them on the water thus the bigger boats designed with more cottage on the water aspects. For some the cottage type boat is a necessity. there is however still the option to go boating. More recently we owned a 38ft lobster type with a big cockpit and smaller interior which served us for 6 week cruises in the PNW. If we cut off half the cockpit we would be cruising a 32 footer and it was a boat not a sea going cottage. Presently we own what I consider a large BOAT at 48+ft but still it does not succumb to the cottage trend. There are plenty of used boats in the 24-34 foot range that will make fine cruising platforms for a couple even with occasional short term guests. The trend to bigger is often in my opinion a trend away from boating. I am not trying to say there is anything wrong with cottage boating but pointing out that boating can be done with much less for less.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #59
Guru

The bigger boat does typically allow you to cruise in bigger water. That may or may not be a concern for some.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #60
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
For coastal stuff the bigger boat just has less weather down time.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote