Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Haylands's Avatar
 
City: Yorkshire
Country: England
Vessel Name: Barefoot Lady
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 138
Where to find boat adverts...

Hi,

As some of you will have seen we are looking for a trawler, we are coming to Florida from the UK in January to look at boats,

I am constantly looking on

Boats for Sale - New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com
www.popyachts.com
USauctions - Online Boat Auctions of Salvaged, Distressed and Liquidation Vessels
www.craigslist.org
www.eBay.com
Boats for Sale - Buy Boats, Sell Boats, Boating Resources, Boat Dealers, Parts and Accessories - BoatTrader.com
boats.com - new and used boats for sale #everythingboats
Home - Marine Trawler Owners Association
and Trawler Boats for Sale Facebook page, and here of course....


Does anyone know of any other resources that would be useful, Where do private sellers advertise if they don't use a broker and get on yachtworld...??

Thanks..
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Pete & Deb
Haylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Guru
 
djmarchand's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,439
I think that your list pretty well covers the waterfront. FWIW most boats of $100K+ are listed on Yachtworld. Maybe 10-20% in that price range are listed on the others. But under $50K it is about half and half.

David
__________________

djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
Guru
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 652
You can add boattrader.com and craigslist.com to your search list.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member
 
Dubnuh's Avatar
 
City: Portland
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 99
www.searchtempest.com is a great way to search a lot of Craigslist quickly.
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Haylands's Avatar
 
City: Yorkshire
Country: England
Vessel Name: Barefoot Lady
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
You can add boattrader.com and craigslist.com to your search list.
Uuum... they are both on the list...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnuh View Post
www.searchtempest.com is a great way to search a lot of Craigslist quickly.
Thanks, that's a new one to me...
__________________
Pete & Deb
Haylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,646
I don't know what price range you're looking in but most of the nicer boats are going to be listed with brokers. You can't look from long distance. You need to find a good South Florida broker and have them use your requirements to identify boats to show you when you're here.

Are you truly looking for a salvage boat? I guess we need to know more about what you're looking for.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
Guru
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 652
Yep, they are both on the list. TF was acting strange when I was reading the post. Don’t think I got the whole post first time.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Haylands's Avatar
 
City: Yorkshire
Country: England
Vessel Name: Barefoot Lady
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't know what price range you're looking in but most of the nicer boats are going to be listed with brokers. You can't look from long distance. You need to find a good South Florida broker and have them use your requirements to identify boats to show you when you're here.

Are you truly looking for a salvage boat? I guess we need to know more about what you're looking for.
We have a modest $100,000 budget for the boat then a further amount for necessary repairs/upgrades/aggressive servicing. I have tried two brokers and they both just send me listings on yachtworld.com and ask me if it's OK... I can do that myself, they didn't seem to bring anything to the party...!!! Maybe my budget isn't enough to get them to do something

We want a full or semi displacement single or twin small naturally aspirated diesels with manual pumps, full walk around decks, galley up, 2 to 3 staterooms and preferably stairs instead of ladders... Something seaworthy, old and with character, and can be fixed without the use of a laptop...!!!

I am looking at salvage as I don't mind some work and there are some lightly damaged ones around.... If the boat we buy is fully sorted, I'll get bored...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Yep, they are both on the list. TF was acting strange when I was reading the post. Donít think I got the whole post first time.
That does happen, thanks for posting anyway....
__________________
Pete & Deb
Haylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylands View Post
We have a modest $100,000 budget for the boat then a further amount for necessary repairs/upgrades/aggressive servicing. I have tried two brokers and they both just send me listings on yachtworld.com and ask me if it's OK... I can do that myself, they didn't seem to bring anything to the party...!!! Maybe my budget isn't enough to get them to do something

We want a full or semi displacement single or twin small naturally aspirated diesels with manual pumps, full walk around decks, galley up, 2 to 3 staterooms and preferably stairs instead of ladders... Something seaworthy, old and with character, and can be fixed without the use of a laptop...!!!

I am looking at salvage as I don't mind some work and there are some lightly damaged ones around.... If the boat we buy is fully sorted, I'll get bored...!!!



That does happen, thanks for posting anyway....
Well, in the $100k price range, I'm back to my original recommendation of a buyer's broker. You need research and homework done before you arrive.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
milt's Avatar
 
City: St. james city FL.
Country: lee
Vessel Name: White Pelican
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34' sedan 1973
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Our marine trader was listed on Craigslist (Fort Myers) it was up in Tampa bay.
There are also listings over on the east coast, so it covers a large area.
Now we did look for over two years to find the right one for us.
You do need to pick up a lot of rocks before you find a diamond.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt View Post
Our marine trader was listed on Craigslist (Fort Myers) it was up in Tampa bay.
There are also listings over on the east coast, so it covers a large area.
Now we did look for over two years to find the right one for us.
You do need to pick up a lot of rocks before you find a diamond.
A bit hard for him to do from Yorkshire, isn't it?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:06 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Haylands's Avatar
 
City: Yorkshire
Country: England
Vessel Name: Barefoot Lady
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, in the $100k price range, I'm back to my original recommendation of a buyer's broker. You need research and homework done before you arrive.
We came over to look at boats in 2016 to decide if we wanted a Cat, sail boat or Motor boat and had a broker then who showed us several boats, one had been tied to the dock just after Noah sighted land and had a rats nest on the bed in the master stateroom... Even if we had been in the market, none of the boats he showed us were worth buying. I ended up making calls to look at boats myself and if a broker was involved they knew little about the boat, showed unprepared boats and all in all were a bit of a waste of time... I understand that there are good and bad in all areas and do realise there are some good hard working brokers and agree it would be nice to have someone else do some homework on suitable boats but until we know what make/model of boat will "fit" us it would be a long list of boats and I think this puts brokers off when I speak to them... So we have decided to look at as many as we can as early as we can to get some idea of which boats will suit us, then spend time/miles/dollars to look at as many of them as we can... I'm 6'5" not slim! and broke my back some years ago, I was a few mm's away from paralysis, but they managed to screw me back together. I have permenant nerve damage down one leg, this led to two new hips and a new knee in the last few years, I am now better than I have been for several years and this dream is a reality if we get the right boat, there is nothing I can't do, I just do it a "different" way to most, so explaining to brokers what we need is just about impossible... I won't say we won't use one but I think we need to know more... Nothing's ever easy is it...!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt View Post
Our marine trader was listed on Craigslist (Fort Myers) it was up in Tampa bay.
There are also listings over on the east coast, so it covers a large area.
Now we did look for over two years to find the right one for us.
You do need to pick up a lot of rocks before you find a diamond.
I don't mind a rock if the price reflects it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A bit hard for him to do from Yorkshire, isn't it?
Everything is hard to do from Yorkshire when it's near freezing here.... can't wait to get away from this incessant cold which seizes up my old and new joints...!!!
__________________
Pete & Deb
Haylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #13
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,469
Florida Mariner is a free add paper that also has everything on line.

It is a better place to look for lower price boats where the cost of a broker is hard to build in.

It is also the place for a boat that may require fixing up, as most brokers wont bother with those.

Soundings , also has on line listings , tho probably of higher pricedboats.

Good hunting!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Haylands's Avatar
 
City: Yorkshire
Country: England
Vessel Name: Barefoot Lady
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Florida Mariner is a free add paper that also has everything on line.

It is a better place to look for lower price boats where the cost of a broker is hard to build in.

It is also the place for a boat that may require fixing up, as most brokers wont bother with those.

Soundings , also has on line listings , tho probably of higher pricedboats.

Good hunting!
I forgot the Florida Mariner, I do get their mag emailed every month... I'll check out Soundings as well..... Thanks...
__________________
Pete & Deb
Haylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #15
Guru
 
hfoster's Avatar
 
City: Cleveland
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 520
Hayland.


You want to have a look at popyachts.com. A number of vessels in your price range Mate.


Cheers.


H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #16
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,925
So your budget is $100K but what are your requirements or desires?

Usually, there is an ample supply of 1990's chlorox boats up to 40' (Sea Ray, Carver, Silverton, Bayliner, Magnum, etc) available in the high $90s low $100s. We had a TF member who sold a 35' Carver with twin Cummings for under $80K if I recall.
__________________
Buffalo Bluff Light 28
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #17
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
You can add boattrader.com and craigslist.com to your search list.
Craigslist? The guy wants to buy a boat not a hooker. SMIRK
__________________
And you folks thought I knew what I was talking about?
I do believe my intuitive gene has died.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Haylands's Avatar
 
City: Yorkshire
Country: England
Vessel Name: Barefoot Lady
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
So your budget is $100K but what are your requirements or desires?

Usually, there is an ample supply of 1990's chlorox boats up to 40' (Sea Ray, Carver, Silverton, Bayliner, Magnum, etc) available in the high $90s low $100s. We had a TF member who sold a 35' Carver with twin Cummings for under $80K if I recall.
Sorry, I was just asking for places to look so didn't fill in my requirements...

Full or semi displacement, single or twin naturally aspirated small diesels with manual pump, full walkaround decks, raised gunnels, not flushdeck, galley up 2-3 staterooms, 45ft minimum, doesn't have to be mint and sorted but not a project...... Cheers
__________________
Pete & Deb
Haylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Haylands's Avatar
 
City: Yorkshire
Country: England
Vessel Name: Barefoot Lady
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Craigslist? The guy wants to buy a boat not a hooker. SMIRK
It's a good source for boats at the cheaper end of the market (and luckily some do come with hookers...!!)
__________________
Pete & Deb
Haylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylands View Post
It's a good source for boats at the cheaper end of the market (and luckily some do come with hookers...!!)
Better get a good compass too.
__________________

__________________
And you folks thought I knew what I was talking about?
I do believe my intuitive gene has died.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012