Where to escape summer heat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It does not get much better than an Alaskan summer.

Generally highs in the high 60's to low 70's. Lows in the 50's to 60's

Sometimes it gets into the 80's but that is just too hot!

This is where we were shrimping last week. Only got 7 gallons of shrimp in two days of shrimping though. :blush:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 189
Here is one of the best kept secrets.
The Erie Canal.
For $78.00 you can cruise the Erie Canal all summer long.
What does the $78.00 get you???
Passage thru the thirty some locks.
Free dockage at all the town docks.
Free electric at most towns.
Long bike and walking paths.
Time with really friendly locals.
Travel the path of history.
Beautiful country side.
Pet friendly docks every where.
Great restaurants.
Lots of fun shopping.
Very peaceful nights.
Never any wakes.
Moderate weather all summer long.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️ Five Star Cruising.

58 this morning in South Portland, high today in the low 60's. Thursday is supposed be high of 88

Whew, I am glad I don't live down south. We are supposed to hit 75 on Thursday which will be bad enough. I will have to go out on the boat since it won't be over 65 out on the water.

It does not get much better than an Alaskan summer.

Generally highs in the high 60's to low 70's. Lows in the 50's to 60's

Sometimes it gets into the 80's but that is just too hot!

This is where we were shrimping last week. Only got 7 gallons of shrimp in two days of shrimping though. :blush:

How big were they?

The shrimp they pass off around here in galveston wouldnt make it to bait size in FL. I love shrimp, big giant shrimp. mmmmm

The SF Bay/Delta area allows one to choose his own weather. There are many micro-climates. A dozen or more miles can make a 30-degree difference in temperature. And humidity is usually low.

We were under a heat advisory pretty much every day last week with temps in the upper 90's and very high humidity.
It's been pretty miserable and it's only the beginning of July.

Still sleeping with 3 blankets at night here in the NW. No air conditioner either! Have the window open though. July has been very cool so far, today was nice, about 70. Good varnishing weather!

North end of Lake Michigan, it's pretty sultry here at the 283mm on the umr.

New England. CT, RI, MA, NH . the first 3 will have the summers looking for.

New England. CT, RI, MA, NH . the first 3 will have the summers looking for.

X2. Throw NY and ME in there too if you want t stay in USA. Great cruising grounds. We loved it up there in the summer and early fall. Early spring in islands.
Late fall and spring in GA, SC, NC and Chesapeake.. great lifestyle.

Wifey B: Define heat :confused: Some like it hot. :) If you live in Houston or Dallas, then South Florida is super cool by comparison. We're in Charlotte NC today. Same temp as Fort Lauderdale. Now we could go to the nearby Blue Ridge mountains and cool off. I don't consider it hot until it passes 95 degrees. Our high in Fort Lauderdale this year was 93 degrees. NYC has been 96 degrees and several more than 93. Houston has had 78 hotter days and many in the 100's according to my handy stat man who looked it up for me. :eek:

Beat the heat in new England no way,at least mass,I work as a coppersmith and trust me new England gets just as hot and humid

Much of the Atlantic US coast is tolerable from Florida to NJ (guessing farther north the better) as long as you are in the daily seabreeze. I personally in the last 3 summers have witnessed the difference between being on the ocean beach or lagoon shoreline and just several blocks inland. Up to 10 degree difference and 5 or more knots of wind....the hotter and more windless the day inland, the stronger the seabreeze (unless it's already strong SE already).

The place to beat the summer heat is the Great Lakes, and only one of them is Superior.

Ted

Wonder if it is going to be as hot in 2021 as it was in 2016?

One July up in Lake Huron/Michigan, we found it necessary to wear gloves and a watch cap up on the flying bridge of the boat I was running. Hated to go back home to FL panhandle.

The summers in South Australia do get hot (up to 45C or 113F) but humidity is almost always very low. Similar weather to Arizona. Because of the low humidity, the cooling effect of a sea breeze is significant. Out on the water the temperature is very comfortable even when it's 40+ on land.

Today, a glorious 31 degrees C (88F)

One July up in Lake Huron/Michigan, we found it necessary to wear gloves and a watch cap up on the flying bridge of the boat I was running. Hated to go back home to FL panhandle.

Crossing Lake Superior on July 17th to Isle Royale, the surface water temperature was in the 30s in the middle of the lake. Used the heater on the lake while cruising and at night while anchored.

Ted

hope you at least wore a towel too. :D :eek:

Crossing Lake Superior on July 17th to Isle Royale, the surface water temperature was in the 30s in the middle of the lake. Used the heater on the lake while cruising and at night while anchored.

Ted

Wifey B: Lake Superior, August 2016, we had days in the 80's but we had frigid days it didn't even hit 70. :eek:

We don't really have hot weather in South FL, never 100 degrees, not at all like South TX. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom