Where do you relax on your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uh, Art, that pic was taken at night. There are large windows in the left background...
I've been on an N55 and while not for me, the salon has nice views to the outside.

Ohhh - I see em now that I spend a second more looking! At first, upon quick glance, I thought the walls blank and lighted cabinets as thin windows for some light. :facepalm: duh!!

Right here on the aft deck in the shade

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 135
Bridge to start with, catch the last breezes of the day, cockpit, or bridge, for cocktails/snacks, salon for dinner & reading. Bow/foredeck for evening viewing of the stars & moon. As long as we are on the water, it's erelaxing

You said in part…

We have been aboard boats 37 - 53 feet. The smaller boats have a salon large enough for a table and walkway. No room for really sitting and relaxing other than the built in settee. The boats with sun decks have lawn/patio furniture on them. Good enough for daytime, but not really at night time.

Oneofsix, chc summed it up pretty well there, the answer to where does one relax is wherever the mood and weather/time of day dictates.

However, I would add, looking at the length of his boat and mine…don't dismiss the smaller vessels in the 32-40 foot range quite so quickly. It is all in how they are set out.
Whenever my wife and I are summing up a boat the thing we feel is a must is there has to be two full length lounging places in the saloon, where we can both comfortably grab that afternoon nap or read stretched out. We don't want to have to retire to the bedroom to do that in the daytime. (There's no view down there).
That is one reason I don't like galleys that take up all one side, or dinettes like those in cafes, where all you can do is sit up at them, and the space is lost to lounging. If you have two lounge length settees, (and a few cushions), then you don't need recliner chairs to be comfortable, and when I see boats with those free-standing recliners, (like in Mahal's pic of a Nordhavn 55 saloon), I often wonder what happens to those in a seaway..?
A pic of our saloon will give you a better idea of what I mean.

Attachments

• settee etc.jpg
    settee etc.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 122
  • main cabin.jpg
    main cabin.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
On the aft sundeck 99.9 % of the time, underway the guys are on the bridge and the girls hang on the sundeck, one item for us was buying a boat with furniture, not fixed setees and such.

Anywhere except the bilge.

Ron, that brings back some (now) pretty funny thoughts to me!

At first... I thought that is soooo damn true; it immediately brought back memories of my childhood working in LI, NY boatyards on old wooden boats.

Due to size in young teens I was consistently elected to be the “Bilge Cleaner” guy while restoring or repowering some boats.

In the early 60’s, working on 1930’s, 40’s, and 50’s woody boats, the bilges would often be a sodden, mucky, smelly mess of old engine and trany lubrication (even fuel mixed in too) gunk that had over many years to decades become up to inches thick... all stirred up with the then dirtiest seawater you could imagine. Back when, it was not considered chic to have clean bilges. Also, old power trains readily leaked their fluids into bilges. Dented, galvanized metal buckets (ya know – before the now plethora of plastic ones) carrying gallons of sludge-crap would be filled by me using army surplus metal coffee cans, mason’s pointing trowels, big kitchen spoons, putty knives and other Rube Goldberg tool-methods.

After most sludge was removed, then bilge planks, stringers, and ribs would be scrubbed clean using stiff brushes, sponges, or rags saturated with ammonia and other grease cutting products. Sometimes a 50/50 solution of kerosene and gasoline was brushed into crevices and joints to help liquefy deeply embedded/solidified crap that had accumulated for years to decades. I scrapped the wood junctions clean with tips of pointy pocket knives.

Then, suddenly... my mind cleared! Realizing I now live in 2014... when bilges are supposed to be kept clean. And, I also realized that I now spend a lot of enjoyable very early morning hours “In Da Bilge” (so to say) playing with, checking up on, performing actions upon, or adding items to our Tolly’s mechanical units in my wide open, CLEAN, and good smelling double hatched salon engine compartment!

Heck, some of the engine rooms (bilge areas) I’ve seen on larger boats are simply spectacularly clean and even ornate. See Boydski’s “art room” post # 42 in this page: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/old-fat-men-engine-rooms-14125-3.html I could spend a LOT of relaxing time in that bilge! LOL

Happy Boating Daze! - Art

Attachments

• TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 129
Standing in the bilge between 2 purring diesels is very relaxing!

We are not live aboards, but relax in several places on the boat. There is a side stateroom that is wonderful for privacy and reading. The bow stateroom for private TV viewing. The saloon for TV. The helm deck for shade and relaxing. The cockpit for sun and now shade. We are blessed with 8 overhead hatches for bringing in the breezes at anchor. Here are some pics from Moonstruck.

Attachments

• Lou at Cayo Costa.jpg
    Lou at Cayo Costa.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Lou taking a break (1).jpg
    Lou taking a break (1).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 383
  • Don&Lou-Abaco_cruising.jpg
    Don&Lou-Abaco_cruising.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Lou's_comfortable.jpg
    Lou's_comfortable.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 118
We are not live aboards, but relax in several places on the boat. There is a side stateroom that is wonderful for privacy and reading. The bow stateroom for private TV viewing. The saloon for TV. The helm deck for shade and relaxing. The cockpit for sun and now shade. We are blessed with 8 overhead hatches for bringing in the breezes at anchor. Here are some pics from Moonstruck.

I'll not ask! :rofl: :dance: :D :lol:

I would have thought you would say in lawn chairs in the marina parking lot admiring your new paint job!!!!:D

Any pics yet?????

I move around depending on the weather and conditions.

Even in a small boat, there are options. Cockpit for drinks and conversation, on the flush deck bow for sunshine and view. There are a couple places to string up a hammock.

I also have 2 bean bag chairs which are great for relaxing on the bow, or on top of the pilothouse.
During a 42C (108 F) day a couple weeks ago, while at anchor, we floated around on the bean bags to stay cool.

I would have thought you would say in lawn chairs in the marina parking lot admiring your new paint job!!!!:D

Any pics yet?????

Well, I really would like to be doing that. No updates. It has been primed and is being sanded to baby's bottom condition. If conditions are right, finish coats start going on. Then buffing and polishing. The new name lettering, gold cove striping, and bottom painting. Then the swim platform goes back on.

I'm afraid to look!:eek:

I want to get the hydraulic hoist for the dinghy installed before they splash. Ain't yachting fun. Ordinarily I'm boating. When spending money like this, I'm yachting.

Did I mention getting the heat exchangers for the engines, after coolers, transmissions, and oil coolers serviced or replaced while this is going on?

Scott, where are you? I just want to hear from someone out there doing it.

However, I would add, looking at the length of his boat and mine…don't dismiss the smaller vessels in the 32-40 foot range quite so quickly. It is all in how they are set out.
Whenever my wife and I are summing up a boat the thing we feel is a must is there has to be two full length lounging places in the saloon, where we can both comfortably grab that afternoon nap or read stretched out. We don't want to have to retire to the bedroom to do that in the daytime. (There's no view down there). ...

I completely agree. Our saloon allows for two people to stretch out horizontally. We usually have blankets and pillows handy.

img_222062_0_f8506240c4505edae384881cb9a0a86c.jpg

Well, I really would like to be doing that. No updates. It has been primed and is being sanded to baby's bottom condition. If conditions are right, finish coats start going on. Then buffing and polishing. The new name lettering, gold cove striping, and bottom painting. Then the swim platform goes back on.

I'm afraid to look!:eek:

I want to get the hydraulic hoist for the dinghy installed before they splash. Ain't yachting fun. Ordinarily I'm boating. When spending money like this, I'm yachting.

Did I mention getting the heat exchangers for the engines, after coolers, transmissions, and oil coolers serviced or replaced while this is going on?

Scott, where are you? I just want to hear from someone out there doing it.

Currently Little River (North Myrtle Beach)...just back from drinks at the Myrtle Beach Yacht Club Officer's Club,,,Found out the owners were from my home town...small world.

Good luck with your "yacht" ..... hope you are back boating soon if you still have enough to feed those Cummins after all the yard work...:D

Last edited:
I keep my bilge as clean as possible but it's too small to really relax in there.

Wifey B: In one way a lot like our house. Decorator asks do you like traditional or classic, Victorian or Modern, all these different styles. Simple, we like COMFY. Yes, we like pretty but comfort rules over all else. That means sofas one can spread out on. Lounges on the decks. Nice sized beds that one doesn't bang their heads or any other body parts. Places we can cuddle and lay on top of each other throughout. And fabrics and materials that allow it. Soft, cushy. And views.

Boats are limited in space regardless of how big so no throw away spaces. I call that a huge space just for looks but not use. When docked stern in the bow becomes such a nice spot for after dinner. Even on our smaller open or coupe boat we get out on the sun lounges on the bow deck at night, just the two of us. To us a boat is often a search for serenity. So make it all that way. Two captains seats so we can be side by side underway if we want to. More seats in helm area so our guests can be close too.

Think more of how it will feel than how it will look.

Reactions: Art
flybridge, sundeck, foredeck... star gazing... chillaxing...

indoors, settee is not the most comfortable place to lounge, so we fight over the chair we added. not a recliner but comfy. I plan to buy a second chair even though finding room for it will not be an easy task on a 35' boat! plan is underway we will line up the two chairs in front of the ice maker and in use the second chair will be at the end of the settee, basically blocking access to the port side door but there is a starboard door as well so we can live with that in exchange for the enhanced comfort. of course, we "decided" this three months ago and I haven't bought another chair yet!

We do often go to bed shortly after sundown in the summer as being on the boat all day can be exhausting (in a good way!!!) :)

Last edited:
We could be...

In the Pilothouse having a beer...
In the cockpit having a drinkipoo...
On the foredeck having a beer...
In the saloon having a beer...
Or on the fly bridge having a beer...

Our saloon has two rocker recliners and a 3-seater leather flex steel (very comfortable). The admiral has commandeered the 3-seater.

I'm thinking of bringing one of the lazy boy recliners aboard this summer.

Jim, Sent from my iPad using Trawler

flybridge, sundeck, foredeck... star gazing... chillaxing...

Jennifer, here is your other half (wearing striped shirt, at the helm) enjoying the pilothouse while females are conversing in the saloon.

img_223103_0_2772e390f823be128cf072c23f230c2d.jpg

Last edited:
Aft cockpit, with 4 teak "steamer" chairs and foldable teak table. It`s well covered by the extended FB, at same level as saloon, easy access to galley/fridge/galley slave. In the saloon there is space, just, for 2 comfy small tub chairs. The FB is best for watching fireworks. Real ones, not the argument on the next boat.

I forgot to mention, even in our 34 footer, we can fit two deck chairs up top…
Great place to relax on cooler days, or in the evening, oh, yes…and watching the New Year's Eve fireworks, which for us is in Summer.

Attachments

• Image105.jpg
    Image105.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Anywhere I darn well want to, provide my wife does not want that spot. :D

Being we do not like the sun and it rains 9 month of the year, and prefer the temperature between 60 to 80 degrees we tend to be in the salon or back deck. Being we AC during the warm/hot/sweltering, 80+ degree days, in the cool salon, and in the evening when it cools down the back deck. During the winter the salon, may be the back deck if my wife is up set with me.;)

Anywhere I darn well want to, provide my wife does not want that spot. :D

Wifey B: On my hubby.....hehe

Well, I do relax wherever he is and he with me. Together we can relax anywhere on the boat. And I don't move him out of a spot, just share it with him.

Christine likes the L setee. Some room for things. Doing things is more important for her than looking out the window. But she does a lot of both.

I like the helm seat. It's too short but now that I'm down south I can get that fixed easily. When just hanging out I like to watch anything interesting on the water or on the floats. I spend quite a bit of time looking at Navamatics on the chart plotter or i-pad. Either while underway or at rest. Underway I'm looking for different routes or anchorages for the night. I'm a "P" type personality and like to keep my options open and plan as I go.

When we have people aboard in port I usually turn the helm seat around and talk and otherwise visit.

I'd like to change the L setee into a small dinette. Raising the seats and getting a better view out. Don't have room for a 4 person dinette. Will probably make a 3 person dinette using a folding chair, stool or whatever for the 4th person. The walk around decks take up too much space.

Attachments

• DSCF0519 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0519 copy 2.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 102
  • STH71153 copy 2.jpg
    STH71153 copy 2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF0517 copy.jpg
    DSCF0517 copy.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 104
We found that the built in boat seating is not suitable for living aboard. We have a good sized salon with "stressless" type recliners. We also have a good sized aft deck where we enjoy sundowners in the evening.

>We found that the built in boat seating is not suitable for living aboard.<

Sounds like a Sawzall and some wood is in your future.

The entire boat is for relaxing!
A previous poster mentioned bean bags..we made up a couple out of matching sunbrella on a previous boat..everyone always fought over them. They were loosely filled and got stuffed into the built in furniture at add comfort.

I plan to make up 4 for the current boat..I hope to spend many hours ..up on the flybridge...contemplating anchors, genset time, dehumidifiers, batteries and the like.
Hollywood
:socool:

The entire boat is for relaxing!

I hope to spend many hours ..up on the flybridge...contemplating anchors, genset time, dehumidifiers, batteries and the like.
Hollywood

:socool:

:thumb::thumb: :D:D

:popcorn::popcorn:

:whistling::whistling:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom