Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #61
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 850
OK -- I figured out how to post pics, but haven't figured out how to put them in the right place -- still working on that.


New here, and I am not sure my boat qualifies (I will start a thread asking what constitutes a trawler -- in my mind the fact that 90% of my hours are at 8.7 knots or less is dispositive), but since I bought the boat for adventure and relaxing, this question piqued my interest. We relax, in different ways at different times, everywhere:



The bow has side-by-side recliners (they are flat and under canvas in this pic), with umbrellas that can be put up when at anchor. Very nice place to read a book, take a nap or have a small gathering for cocktails:


Behind that is the Portuguese bridge, with wing stations on either side. Great place from which to run the boat and watch the world go by:


The cockpit is always nice, since it is out of the wind and is wide open (previous boats had the bait tank in the middle, but for us the openness is better). We have a barbeque in the cockpit, and often rotisserie a prime rib or tri-tip; having a beer while keeping an eye on the Q can be very relaxing:

As with most houses, social activity tends to center around the kitchen, so we designed with our galley "up", adjacent to the pilothouse helm (wtih twin Stidds) and galley table. If you look carefully, you will note a Viking gas range -- at least for us it contributes to the relaxation of cooking:


Even when not cooking, I often sit at the helm and listen to the radio, look at charts, surf the internet or watch TV. We have a video switch that allows us to show any of 8 video sources at any of 12 screens throughout the boat):

The salon has a comfortable couch and two chairs:

Forward of the cockpit, but aft of the salon, is a mezzanine deck with a beni-hana table -- lots of fun to cook up some treats out of the shade. That table can be easily relocated to the boat deck, aft of the fly bridge.

Although the tower gets less non-fishing use than I expected, at 35' above sea level, the view is pretty good:


Not shown is a hammock that suspends from the dingy crane; bought it at a boat show and break it out often when we are anchored in a nice location. Also not pictured is the engine room, which I find very relaxing. Unlike every other engine room in my prior boats, this one is fully stand-up, and with good outboard axcess. I find it relaxing to go in there and just look around at everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_123805_resized_1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	29052   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_123815_resized_1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	29053   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_123828_resized_1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	29054   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_123857_resized_1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	29055   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_123912_resized.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	29056  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_123917_resized_1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	29057   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_123959_resized_1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	29058   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_131800_resized_1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	29059  
__________________
Advertisement

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #62
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
OK -- I figured out how to post pics, but haven't figured out how to put them in the right place -- still working on that.


New here, and I am not sure my boat qualifies (I will start a thread asking what constitutes a trawler -- in my mind the fact that 90% of my hours are at 8.7 knots or less is dispositive), but since I bought the boat for adventure and relaxing, this question piqued my interest. We relax, in different ways at different times, everywhere:



The bow has side-by-side recliners (they are flat and under canvas in this pic), with umbrellas that can be put up when at anchor. Very nice place to read a book, take a nap or have a small gathering for cocktails:


Behind that is the Portuguese bridge, with wing stations on either side. Great place from which to run the boat and watch the world go by:


The cockpit is always nice, since it is out of the wind and is wide open (previous boats had the bait tank in the middle, but for us the openness is better). We have a barbeque in the cockpit, and often rotisserie a prime rib or tri-tip; having a beer while keeping an eye on the Q can be very relaxing:

As with most houses, social activity tends to center around the kitchen, so we designed with our galley "up", adjacent to the pilothouse helm (wtih twin Stidds) and galley table. If you look carefully, you will note a Viking gas range -- at least for us it contributes to the relaxation of cooking:


Even when not cooking, I often sit at the helm and listen to the radio, look at charts, surf the internet or watch TV. We have a video switch that allows us to show any of 8 video sources at any of 12 screens throughout the boat):

The salon has a comfortable couch and two chairs:

Forward of the cockpit, but aft of the salon, is a mezzanine deck with a beni-hana table -- lots of fun to cook up some treats out of the shade. That table can be easily relocated to the boat deck, aft of the fly bridge.

Although the tower gets less non-fishing use than I expected, at 35' above sea level, the view is pretty good:


Not shown is a hammock that suspends from the dingy crane; bought it at a boat show and break it out often when we are anchored in a nice location. Also not pictured is the engine room, which I find very relaxing. Unlike every other engine room in my prior boats, this one is fully stand-up, and with good outboard axcess. I find it relaxing to go in there and just look around at everything.
Hello MYT

How about a pict of the whole boat... what year / size / make? You mention, "we designed with our galley "up"..." She a one-off or a builder's model you had them customize while building new, or a nice used boat you had customized? Looks really nice! Thanks for post/picts.

Welcome aboard TF.

And, Of Course - - >

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
__________________

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #63
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 850
Hi Art,

Not very good, but here is the best pic I have on this cpu. To answer your questions, she is a Mikelson Nomad, ordered in 2007, laid up in 2008 , commissioned and delivered in 2009, now 5 years old and about 1,500 hours on the mains and the same on each of the gensets (and if I am away from the dock the gensets are on). I have burned 15,000 gallons, so the mains are consuming about 8 gph to go an average of 8.7 knots. Not quite the efficiency I was hoping for, but good enough. With a 2300 gallon fuel capacity, I can get where I want to go, and if I ever want to go to Hawaii, I will squeeze out a little more efficiency.

Semi-custom, and I am hull 15 (and they skipped 13). Like Burger King, every owner gets to have it his way (more or less).

Thanks for the compliments.

-Rick

And her is a pic of the pilot house helm, which I meant to attach earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Traveler 2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	29063   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_123750_resized.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	29064  
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #64
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,131
Beautiful boat. I love some of the unique design features of Mikelson.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #65
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Hi Art,

Not very good, but here is the best pic I have on this cpu. To answer your questions, she is a Mikelson Nomad, ordered in 2007, laid up in 2008 , commissioned and delivered in 2009, now 5 years old and about 1,500 hours on the mains and the same on each of the gensets (and if I am away from the dock the gensets are on). I have burned 15,000 gallons, so the mains are consuming about 8 gph to go an average of 8.7 knots. Not quite the efficiency I was hoping for, but good enough. With a 2300 gallon fuel capacity, I can get where I want to go, and if I ever want to go to Hawaii, I will squeeze out a little more efficiency.

Semi-custom, and I am hull 15 (and they skipped 13). Like Burger King, every owner gets to have it his way (more or less).

Thanks for the compliments. - Rick

And her is a pic of the pilot house helm, which I meant to attach earlier.
Hi Rick

YVW - Thanks for more picts. I love Mickelson boats, not seen many but their general design turns me on! Did I miss you posting LOA and beam?

BTW - in first post you mentioned... "New here, and I am not sure my boat qualifies (I will start a thread asking what constitutes a trawler -- in my mind the fact that 90% of my hours are at 8.7 knots or less..."

Well - IMHO your craft surely qualifies as a "Trawler"... whatever the true meaning of that "boat-word" really is??? Way I see it: If it floats, can do near hull speed (or faster), is basically or better than self contained, and owner loves to be aboard - then - It meets criteria of 21st Century Trawler definition!

Happy Trawler Daze - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #66
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hi Rick

YVW - Thanks for more picts. I love Mickelson boats, not seen many but their general design turns me on! Did I miss you posting LOA and beam?


Happy Trawler Daze - Art
My favorite thing to talk about its boats, fishing and adventures, so I have tried not to get carried away but forgot to answer those questions. LOA (from the stern to the tip of the bow with the burgee blowing is 69' 6", LWL is 60'; beam is about 18' 6".

Thanks for your hospitality.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #67
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,171
Am I the only one who enjoys the activities and relaxation afforded by the Capt's stateroom?
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #68
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Am I the only one who enjoys the activities and relaxation afforded by the Capt's stateroom?
Al - That statement/question is damn near dangerous!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #69
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Al - That statement/question is damn near dangerous!
OK...maybe at your age, Art. But I'm still young enough to enjoy, appreciate and remember it!
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #70
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
OK...maybe at your age, Art. But I'm still young enough to enjoy, appreciate and remember it!
Lol - If you only knew, if you only knew! ~ ~
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #71
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,171
Well then... I'm glad I'm not alone in this dept. Apparently it's a small group, though.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #72
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Well then... I'm glad I'm not alone in this dept. Apparently it's a small group, though.
Maybe small group - but - Always BIG Grope!!



And that play is great for relaxing aboard boat - However, Capt's Cabin is not the only location!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:38 AM   #73
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,093
My favourite spot; with G&T and remote autopilot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hammock.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	29066  
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #74
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
My favourite spot; with G&T and remote autopilot.
I love it!

Plenty sun screen!

Happy Rellaxation Aboard Boat! - Art
__________________

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012