Old 03-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #41
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
We are not live aboards, but relax in several places on the boat. There is a side stateroom that is wonderful for privacy and reading. The bow stateroom for private TV viewing. The saloon for TV. The helm deck for shade and relaxing. The cockpit for sun and now shade. We are blessed with 8 overhead hatches for bringing in the breezes at anchor. Here are some pics from Moonstruck.
I'll not ask!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #42
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
We are not live aboards, but relax in several places on the boat. There is a side stateroom that is wonderful for privacy and reading. The bow stateroom for private TV viewing. The saloon for TV. The helm deck for shade and relaxing. The cockpit for sun and now shade. We are blessed with 8 overhead hatches for bringing in the breezes at anchor. Here are some pics from Moonstruck.
I would have thought you would say in lawn chairs in the marina parking lot admiring your new paint job!!!!

Any pics yet?????
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #43
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I move around depending on the weather and conditions.

Even in a small boat, there are options. Cockpit for drinks and conversation, on the flush deck bow for sunshine and view. There are a couple places to string up a hammock.

I also have 2 bean bag chairs which are great for relaxing on the bow, or on top of the pilothouse.
During a 42C (108 F) day a couple weeks ago, while at anchor, we floated around on the bean bags to stay cool.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #44
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would have thought you would say in lawn chairs in the marina parking lot admiring your new paint job!!!!

Any pics yet?????

Well, I really would like to be doing that. No updates. It has been primed and is being sanded to baby's bottom condition. If conditions are right, finish coats start going on. Then buffing and polishing. The new name lettering, gold cove striping, and bottom painting. Then the swim platform goes back on.

I'm afraid to look!

I want to get the hydraulic hoist for the dinghy installed before they splash. Ain't yachting fun. Ordinarily I'm boating. When spending money like this, I'm yachting.

Did I mention getting the heat exchangers for the engines, after coolers, transmissions, and oil coolers serviced or replaced while this is going on?

Scott, where are you? I just want to hear from someone out there doing it.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #45
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
However, I would add, looking at the length of his boat and mine…don't dismiss the smaller vessels in the 32-40 foot range quite so quickly. It is all in how they are set out.
Whenever my wife and I are summing up a boat the thing we feel is a must is there has to be two full length lounging places in the saloon, where we can both comfortably grab that afternoon nap or read stretched out. We don't want to have to retire to the bedroom to do that in the daytime. (There's no view down there). ...
I completely agree. Our saloon allows for two people to stretch out horizontally. We usually have blankets and pillows handy.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #46
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Well, I really would like to be doing that. No updates. It has been primed and is being sanded to baby's bottom condition. If conditions are right, finish coats start going on. Then buffing and polishing. The new name lettering, gold cove striping, and bottom painting. Then the swim platform goes back on.

I'm afraid to look!

I want to get the hydraulic hoist for the dinghy installed before they splash. Ain't yachting fun. Ordinarily I'm boating. When spending money like this, I'm yachting.

Did I mention getting the heat exchangers for the engines, after coolers, transmissions, and oil coolers serviced or replaced while this is going on?

Scott, where are you? I just want to hear from someone out there doing it.
Currently Little River (North Myrtle Beach)...just back from drinks at the Myrtle Beach Yacht Club Officer's Club,,,Found out the owners were from my home town...small world.

Good luck with your "yacht" ..... hope you are back boating soon if you still have enough to feed those Cummins after all the yard work...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #47
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I keep my bilge as clean as possible but it's too small to really relax in there.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: In one way a lot like our house. Decorator asks do you like traditional or classic, Victorian or Modern, all these different styles. Simple, we like COMFY. Yes, we like pretty but comfort rules over all else. That means sofas one can spread out on. Lounges on the decks. Nice sized beds that one doesn't bang their heads or any other body parts. Places we can cuddle and lay on top of each other throughout. And fabrics and materials that allow it. Soft, cushy. And views.

Boats are limited in space regardless of how big so no throw away spaces. I call that a huge space just for looks but not use. When docked stern in the bow becomes such a nice spot for after dinner. Even on our smaller open or coupe boat we get out on the sun lounges on the bow deck at night, just the two of us. To us a boat is often a search for serenity. So make it all that way. Two captains seats so we can be side by side underway if we want to. More seats in helm area so our guests can be close too.

Think more of how it will feel than how it will look.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
flybridge, sundeck, foredeck... star gazing... chillaxing...

indoors, settee is not the most comfortable place to lounge, so we fight over the chair we added. not a recliner but comfy. I plan to buy a second chair even though finding room for it will not be an easy task on a 35' boat! plan is underway we will line up the two chairs in front of the ice maker and in use the second chair will be at the end of the settee, basically blocking access to the port side door but there is a starboard door as well so we can live with that in exchange for the enhanced comfort. of course, we "decided" this three months ago and I haven't bought another chair yet!

We do often go to bed shortly after sundown in the summer as being on the boat all day can be exhausting (in a good way!!!)
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #50
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
We could be...

In the Pilothouse having a beer...
In the cockpit having a drinkipoo...
On the foredeck having a beer...
In the saloon having a beer...
Or on the fly bridge having a beer...

Our saloon has two rocker recliners and a 3-seater leather flex steel (very comfortable). The admiral has commandeered the 3-seater.

I'm thinking of bringing one of the lazy boy recliners aboard this summer.

Jim, Sent from my iPad using Trawler
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #51
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
flybridge, sundeck, foredeck... star gazing... chillaxing...
Jennifer, here is your other half (wearing striped shirt, at the helm) enjoying the pilothouse while females are conversing in the saloon.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #52
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Aft cockpit, with 4 teak "steamer" chairs and foldable teak table. It`s well covered by the extended FB, at same level as saloon, easy access to galley/fridge/galley slave. In the saloon there is space, just, for 2 comfy small tub chairs. The FB is best for watching fireworks. Real ones, not the argument on the next boat.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #53
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I forgot to mention, even in our 34 footer, we can fit two deck chairs up top…
Great place to relax on cooler days, or in the evening, oh, yes…and watching the New Year's Eve fireworks, which for us is in Summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Image105.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #54
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Anywhere I darn well want to, provide my wife does not want that spot.

Being we do not like the sun and it rains 9 month of the year, and prefer the temperature between 60 to 80 degrees we tend to be in the salon or back deck. Being we AC during the warm/hot/sweltering, 80+ degree days, in the cool salon, and in the evening when it cools down the back deck. During the winter the salon, may be the back deck if my wife is up set with me.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #55
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Anywhere I darn well want to, provide my wife does not want that spot.
Wifey B: On my hubby.....hehe

Well, I do relax wherever he is and he with me. Together we can relax anywhere on the boat. And I don't move him out of a spot, just share it with him.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #56
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Christine likes the L setee. Some room for things. Doing things is more important for her than looking out the window. But she does a lot of both.

I like the helm seat. It's too short but now that I'm down south I can get that fixed easily. When just hanging out I like to watch anything interesting on the water or on the floats. I spend quite a bit of time looking at Navamatics on the chart plotter or i-pad. Either while underway or at rest. Underway I'm looking for different routes or anchorages for the night. I'm a "P" type personality and like to keep my options open and plan as I go.

When we have people aboard in port I usually turn the helm seat around and talk and otherwise visit.

I'd like to change the L setee into a small dinette. Raising the seats and getting a better view out. Don't have room for a 4 person dinette. Will probably make a 3 person dinette using a folding chair, stool or whatever for the 4th person. The walk around decks take up too much space.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0519 copy 2.jpg   STH71153 copy 2.jpg   DSCF0517 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #57

City: Punta Gorda
We found that the built in boat seating is not suitable for living aboard. We have a good sized salon with "stressless" type recliners. We also have a good sized aft deck where we enjoy sundowners in the evening.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 AM   #58
FF
Guru

>We found that the built in boat seating is not suitable for living aboard.<

Sounds like a Sawzall and some wood is in your future.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #59
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
The entire boat is for relaxing!
A previous poster mentioned bean bags..we made up a couple out of matching sunbrella on a previous boat..everyone always fought over them. They were loosely filled and got stuffed into the built in furniture at add comfort.

I plan to make up 4 for the current boat..I hope to spend many hours ..up on the flybridge...contemplating anchors, genset time, dehumidifiers, batteries and the like.
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #60
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

The entire boat is for relaxing!

I hope to spend many hours ..up on the flybridge...contemplating anchors, genset time, dehumidifiers, batteries and the like.
Hollywood

Art is offline   Reply With Quote