Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #21

City: New Bern, N.C.
Fly bridge in good weather. Mid (poop?) deck above rear cabin also in nice weather (we call it the back porch) Lower helm / saloon otherwise, in the swivel rocker/foot stool. First Mate likes the couch/settee I built for lounging.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
So many answers, so little time! In order of preference....Anywhere Chair on the sundeck hardtop collecting vitamin D, Flybridge, Sundeck in a comfy deck chair, Anywhere chair on the bow, barrel chair in salon with the ottoman watching tv, galley settee with a book listening to rain on the deck, sleeping soundly in the bed.

Anywhere that isn't "at work" is comfy and relaxing.

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
People enjoy the foredeck, afterdeck, saloon, and pilothouse. Depends on people's moods, activities, and weather conditions. (No flying bridge here.)

Old 03-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
While on the go - Fly Bridge... hands down!

On the hook... in comfy chairs with iced cooler next to table on sun deck.

In eves and if bad weather... inside salon on real cushy semi rocking arm chairs with seperate foot stools; reading, eating or watching movies.

For beddie-by, long naps, or "private fun-time"... Master Stateroom on big bed.

Other than that... swim, swim, swim.

Or... gunkholen all over the place in our quick tow behind runabout!

Ain't boat time grand... Happy Boaten Daze!! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #25

OneofSix, Unless you plan on buying a 50'er, be aware that comfort on the boat isn't the same as home. Remember, boating is a compromise. On our boat, the only seating option in the saloon is the settee/dinette. Not very comfy but when I look outside the window, the view is always better than at home.

You ask a very good question. Something that I didn't worry too much about when I bought our boat, but will certainly be a big factor for the next one.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple of recliners in the saloon.
Click image for larger version

Name:	N55 INTERIOR.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	28527
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #26
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
oneofsix, unless you plan on buying a 50'er, be aware that comfort on the boat isn't the same as home. Remember, boating is a compromise. On our boat, the only seating option in the saloon is the settee/dinette. Not very comfy but when i look outside the window, the view is always better than at home. You ask a very good question. Something that i didn't worry too much about when i bought our boat, but will certainly be a big factor for the next one. Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple of recliners in the saloon.
n55?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #27
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
OneofSix, Unless you plan on buying a 50'er, be aware that comfort on the boat isn't the same as home. Remember, boating is a compromise. On our boat, the only seating option in the saloon is the settee/dinette. Not very comfy but when I look outside the window, the view is always better than at home.

You ask a very good question. Something that I didn't worry too much about when I bought our boat, but will certainly be a big factor for the next one.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple of recliners in the saloon.
Attachment 28527
Mahal - Although that surely is a comfy salon pict you have on post 25, it looks caveish; like resting in a well outfitted cellar... I recommend that you have LARGE expansive windows. Along with comfy seating and other boat appendages...It's the view baby, that counts strongly for boating enjoyment. You already know that by what you say above! Best luck on locating your "next" boat!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Port Galley W-Coffee Cooken.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	28528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Port Rear Salon.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	28529  
Old 03-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
n55?
Yup
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #29

City: Mystic
Vessel Name: Outback
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
Hey Mystic, will you tell me about your hammock? Davit to mast? Any pictures?
We hook it between the dinghy crane and mast. And, if we want some sun shade, which is most of the time, we open the bimini. I don't have any pictures, but I'll try and take one in the next day or two and attach it our photo album.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Mahal - Although that surely is a comfy salon pict you have on post 25, it looks caveish; like resting in a well outfitted cellar... I recommend that you have LARGE expansive windows. Along with comfy seating and other boat appendages...It's the view baby, that counts strongly for boating enjoyment. You already know that by what you say above! Best luck on locating your "next" boat!
Uh, Art, that pic was taken at night. There are large windows in the left background...
I've been on an N55 and while not for me, the salon has nice views to the outside.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #31
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Uh, Art, that pic was taken at night. There are large windows in the left background...
I've been on an N55 and while not for me, the salon has nice views to the outside.
Ohhh - I see em now that I spend a second more looking! At first, upon quick glance, I thought the walls blank and lighted cabinets as thin windows for some light. duh!!
Old 03-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #32
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Everywhere
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Right here on the aft deck in the shade
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	28535  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by chc View Post
Bridge to start with, catch the last breezes of the day, cockpit, or bridge, for cocktails/snacks, salon for dinner & reading. Bow/foredeck for evening viewing of the stars & moon. As long as we are on the water, it's erelaxing
You said in part…

We have been aboard boats 37 - 53 feet. The smaller boats have a salon large enough for a table and walkway. No room for really sitting and relaxing other than the built in settee. The boats with sun decks have lawn/patio furniture on them. Good enough for daytime, but not really at night time.

Oneofsix, chc summed it up pretty well there, the answer to where does one relax is wherever the mood and weather/time of day dictates.

However, I would add, looking at the length of his boat and mine…don't dismiss the smaller vessels in the 32-40 foot range quite so quickly. It is all in how they are set out.
Whenever my wife and I are summing up a boat the thing we feel is a must is there has to be two full length lounging places in the saloon, where we can both comfortably grab that afternoon nap or read stretched out. We don't want to have to retire to the bedroom to do that in the daytime. (There's no view down there).
That is one reason I don't like galleys that take up all one side, or dinettes like those in cafes, where all you can do is sit up at them, and the space is lost to lounging. If you have two lounge length settees, (and a few cushions), then you don't need recliner chairs to be comfortable, and when I see boats with those free-standing recliners, (like in Mahal's pic of a Nordhavn 55 saloon), I often wonder what happens to those in a seaway..?
A pic of our saloon will give you a better idea of what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	settee etc.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	28544   Click image for larger version

Name:	main cabin.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	28545  
Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #35
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Anywhere except the bilge.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #36

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
On the aft sundeck 99.9 % of the time, underway the guys are on the bridge and the girls hang on the sundeck, one item for us was buying a boat with furniture, not fixed setees and such.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #37
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Anywhere except the bilge.
Ron, that brings back some (now) pretty funny thoughts to me!

At first... I thought that is soooo damn true; it immediately brought back memories of my childhood working in LI, NY boatyards on old wooden boats.

Due to size in young teens I was consistently elected to be the “Bilge Cleaner” guy while restoring or repowering some boats.

In the early 60’s, working on 1930’s, 40’s, and 50’s woody boats, the bilges would often be a sodden, mucky, smelly mess of old engine and trany lubrication (even fuel mixed in too) gunk that had over many years to decades become up to inches thick... all stirred up with the then dirtiest seawater you could imagine. Back when, it was not considered chic to have clean bilges. Also, old power trains readily leaked their fluids into bilges. Dented, galvanized metal buckets (ya know – before the now plethora of plastic ones) carrying gallons of sludge-crap would be filled by me using army surplus metal coffee cans, mason’s pointing trowels, big kitchen spoons, putty knives and other Rube Goldberg tool-methods.

After most sludge was removed, then bilge planks, stringers, and ribs would be scrubbed clean using stiff brushes, sponges, or rags saturated with ammonia and other grease cutting products. Sometimes a 50/50 solution of kerosene and gasoline was brushed into crevices and joints to help liquefy deeply embedded/solidified crap that had accumulated for years to decades. I scrapped the wood junctions clean with tips of pointy pocket knives.

Then, suddenly... my mind cleared! Realizing I now live in 2014... when bilges are supposed to be kept clean. And, I also realized that I now spend a lot of enjoyable very early morning hours “In Da Bilge” (so to say) playing with, checking up on, performing actions upon, or adding items to our Tolly’s mechanical units in my wide open, CLEAN, and good smelling double hatched salon engine compartment!

Heck, some of the engine rooms (bilge areas) I’ve seen on larger boats are simply spectacularly clean and even ornate. See Boydski’s “art room” post # 42 in this page: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/old-fat-men-engine-rooms-14125-3.html I could spend a LOT of relaxing time in that bilge! LOL

Happy Boating Daze! - Art

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	28548  
Old 03-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #38

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Standing in the bilge between 2 purring diesels is very relaxing!
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #39
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post
Standing in the bilge between 2 purring diesels is very relaxing!
Huh????? My hearing isn't what it used to be before I became a diesel guy...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #40
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
We are not live aboards, but relax in several places on the boat. There is a side stateroom that is wonderful for privacy and reading. The bow stateroom for private TV viewing. The saloon for TV. The helm deck for shade and relaxing. The cockpit for sun and now shade. We are blessed with 8 overhead hatches for bringing in the breezes at anchor. Here are some pics from Moonstruck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lou at Cayo Costa.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	28552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Don&Lou-Abaco_cruising.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	28554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lou's_comfortable.jpg
Views:	92