Where do you boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Where do you spend most of your time on the water?

• Canada

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • NE US Coast

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • SE US Coast

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Gulf of Mexico

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • SW US Coast

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • NW US Coast

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Central and South America

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • E.U.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Australia

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • We wander the globe

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters
San Francisco Bay and nearby Pacific Coast - i.e. SW US Coast.

The Gulf of Alaska and Prince William sound, Alaska

Did you know that we have more shoreline at an estimated 47,300 miles than the rest of the United States combined?

Or that 17 of the tallest 20 mountains in the United States are in Alaska

Or for you fishermen that there are estimated to be more rainbow trout in Alaska over 10 pounds than the rest of the world combined

Or that they call Minnesota the land of 10,000 lakes, when there are actually over 3,000,000 yes three million lakes in Alaska over 20 acres

Or that if you overlaid Alaska on the lower 48 states, it would stick out into both the Atlantic and the Pacific oceans?

Or if you cut Alaska in half, and made each half a state, then Texas would become the third largest state?

Yes. I am an Alaskan!
It also contains both the westernmost location in the USA and the easternmost location in the USA.

I chose NE Coast. Not bitchin' about the poll choices :thumb:

I boat mostly in Long Island Sound and Block Island Sound, Gardiner's Bay.

Some Erie canal, Canada, Hudson River, Chesapeake Bay.

Wifey B:

Lake Norman NC
Florida Coast and Lake Okeechobee
The Bahamas

East Coast-GA, SC, NC, VA, DC, MD, DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA
Chesapeake Bay, Potomac, Delaware River, LI Sound, Hudson, East River,

Alaska, BC, WA, OR, CA
Columbus River, Delta, Lake Washington, Lake Union

Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Belize

Turks and Caicos, Dominican Republic, BVI, St. Martin/Sint Maarten, St. Barts,

This month-USVI, PR

Coming Attractions:

Possibly this summer. If not, next, the Great Loop
Next winter, St. Kitts, Antiqua, Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Lucia

Future goals

TN River, Ohio River, Cumberland River, Missouri River, Mississippi River, TN Tom, Tombigbee

Pacific

Europe

So much water and so little time....:D

Then repeat it all. :thumb:

Hardly fair to give the US 5 times the choices that Canada gets. Especially when we have the Inside Passage, the Broughtons, Desolation sound, the Gulf Islands, Barkley Sound, and that is only the BC coast.
I have sailed in the BVI and Turkey, and without a doubt, those ore inferior to cruising grounds in BC.

koliver,
I agree it should be west and east Canada.
Do 95% of all Canadians still live within 95 miles of the US border?

Northeast for at least a few more years - then who knows where we're off to.

Wifey B:

States we can get to by water.

All but....

NM, AZ, CO, UT, WY, NV

I think that's the list of states not accessible from the ocean. Are any of those accessible? Did I overlook a state that isn't?

Wifey B: You think of it. Almost every country in the world is accessible by water. Very few landlocked countries. :)

What I find interesting from this poll is how the demographics of this site very much differ from the boating world as a whole.

Looking at boats in the US, by far more in FL than any other state and the regions would be the SE, the Great Lakes, California, Texas in terms of total boats. However, on this site, Canada and the PNW come out with the most participants and the NE is next.

Now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense when thinking of TF. I think of Trawler Type Boats as tough, even cold weather, type boats. I don't think of people running across to the Bahamas for the weekend in one. I don't picture a lot at Catalina.

Now, we have a nice group from Australia, but not many, if any, from Europe it seems. I could see language as a barrier to some. I know we have at least one from Ireland. What about the UK as a whole? Just a different kind of boating?

I think it is also a reminder what a small part of the industry, Trawler Type boats or cruisers in general are. Runabouts and pontoons dominate. Fishing boats. Then Sportfishing boats and center consoles. Then it's the use of the boat. There are far more Sea Ray cruisers, primarily Sundancers, sold than any other cruising boats sold in the US. But not only is the boat not trawler like, the user isn't a trawler type. It's younger couples with families getting out for the weekend and the occasional week perhaps. The reality is you can take any style boat and it will have a very small percentage of the overall boating market. There are just so many different segments.

Wifey B:

Coming Attractions:

Possibly this summer. If not, next, the Great Loop.

So is that about 3 months at 20 knots? :rolleyes:

If 2017, please don't wake me with your boat when you go by.;)

Ted

So is that about 3 months at 20 knots? :rolleyes:

If 2017, please don't wake me with your boat when you go by.;)

Ted

Wifey B: Not exactly. :rolleyes:

-It's be in NYC and ready to go go go go on May 1.
-Then through the canals. That's not 20 knot territory. We obey all traffic laws...hehe. Although in St. Barts they have a 3 knot limit. That's hard to do. That's walking speed except can't walk on water. Did see a cool hydro jet pack on Pawn Stars. I don't know about that thing though. Now we might exceed 20 knots on the Great Lakes.
-Then summer on the Great Lakes.
-Leave Chicago early October or so.
-Then keep the boat a year or two on Lake Pickwick so we can see all the rivers.

So for us we might not do the final trip down the TN TOM for two or three years or who knows, might take a side trip down the MS and back up the TN TOM to the TN.

Our emphasis is everything between NYC and Mobile. We've done the East Coast and Gulf Coast and can do them anytime.

Before we ever had any idea of what it was like to be on the coast and cruise in the ocean we dreamed of retiring on the TN River. From the lake that would have been a great step to more cruising. So we really look forward to the canals, to the Great Lakes and to the TN, Cumberland, Ohio, and Missouri Rivers. A lot of people do the circle but just go right by all the cool side trips.

We also intend to explore the Great Lakes a lot. Most people just do the rim to complete the loop. Now obviously we won't see it all in one trip so will have to do more in future years. Really the main timing things are to leave NYC as soon as the canals are open and fully safe to transit. Then leave Chicago before we freeze our butts. :D

So you have May - Sept. 5 months for the canals and Great Lakes.

I really really really look forward to it. :dance:

I'm planning on making 2 unusual side trips. Onto Lake Superior to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish point and if a nice enough day to the wreck site of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Second side trip is to the confluence of the Ohio, Allegheny, and the Monongahela rivers.

Ted

I'm planning on making 2 unusual side trips. Onto Lake Superior to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish point and if a nice enough day to the wreck site of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Second side trip is to the confluence of the Ohio, Allegheny, and the Monongahela rivers.

Ted

Wifey B: Gotta see Three Rivers as in Three Rivers Stadium. Just the idea that you can go all the way to Pittsburgh and beyond. I think it's cool. :socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom