Old 03-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Where did you grow up?

Wifey B: My thread on your first boating experience generated this love child thread. First, I so love reading all of what you have written on that other thread and it makes me think that most here grew up near the coast and probably less populated areas. Just don't know without asking. So where?

For me, near Dallas. For hubby, Charlotte, NC. Both inland. Only water around us was lakes. Both where houses are packed close. I didn't know anyone who fished except in ponds. More hunters in my area hunted people down and shot them than animals. Hubby knew some who fished on the lake. His country cousins hunted and did other outdoor activities. The extent of my outdoor activities was pretty much just a walk to the park to get away. Hubby did play some sports outdoors and some in, and he boated outdoors, but no hunting or big game fishing or camping or hiking.

I'm guessing we're among a relative minority of those growing up in landlocked big cities to be here.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

I'm guessing we're among a relative minority of those growing up in landlocked big cities to be here.
Quite the opposite for me. Lived 4 miles from the swamps and 30 miles from the Gulf. Any free time was spent on the water. My Uncles had a house boat on the levee and my best friend's family had a camp on Vermilion Bay. Summertime was spent more on water than land! Couldn't go back and have a better up-bringing; besides most of what we did back then would not allowed by most protective parents today.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
I like to think that I haven't grown up and my wife, kids and friends tend to agree.

However, I spent my early years sailing and putting around on LI Sound and on Penobscot Bay, mostly the latter.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Agree with Mr. dw. Haven't grown up yet. Been around though...

Old 03-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Working on it!
Suburbs east of Vancouver BC, now Gulf Islands.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Spent my early life in Copiague, NY
South Shore of Long Island

"Growing up" has yet to happen
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Spent every weekend, and most all summers on the Chesapeake Bay from the age of 5. Worked at local marinas in High school etc... Then lived in the area for years as an adult until work relocations pulled me away.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Kansass. Never had really set foot on a boat -other than the art deco Admiral in St. Louis- until my wife and I and a couple of other friends (also from Kansass and with little to no boating experience) took a GB 32 from Puget Sound to SE Alaska and back in 1990. The rest is Herstory!
Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
Guru

Wifey B: Growing up was a bad choice of words. I never intend to grow up. It's vastly overrated.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I grew up along the shores of Puget Sound in Washington State. Just a couple miles South of the Narrows Bridge.

My first boating experience was learning to sail a 9' rowing dinghy called a Minto. It was a very popular dinghy for folks to use with their large boats at the time. Rowed really well and sailed great. They would set up race courses to sail the Mintos around the fishing fleet in Gig Harbor.

Lived in this area almost all of my life sailing and boating. I've often felt that I would be uncomfortable living more than a few miles from salt water.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #11

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
I was reared (didn't grow up) in Lake Geneva WI and learned how to sail on X class. Moved to GA in late 70's. Wandered for a few years and ended up in Eastern NC mid 80's. Been here since while travelling for work until retiring one year ago today.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Born & raised in the Kootenays, which is an area in southeastern British Columbia surrounding the largest lake in BC, and just west of the Rockies. Great fishing; (rainbow trout up to 40 pounds) and skiing (huge amounts of feather light powder).

I didn't see much salt water until I moved to Australia 35 years ago. I fell in love with the place (and a girl). It was a whole new world to explore.

I still love getting back to the Kootenays to rejuvenate every now & then. There's no place like home.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #13
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
New York, NY (Manhattan) opposite Pier 45 on the North River, then home of the Norwegian-American line. The Olsofjord was their flagship at that time.
Just south of Pier 45 was where the Christopher St. Ferry had been, torn down in the early 50's, it was therefore the only "open" area on the Hudson for a mile in either direction.

Talked to many tug crews and clamored over a few "Burn-it" barges.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator View Post
Kansass. Never had really set foot on a boat -other than the art deco Admiral in St. Louis- until my wife and I and a couple of other friends (also from Kansass and with little to no boating experience) took a GB 32 from Puget Sound to SE Alaska and back in 1990. The rest is Herstory!
Tator
Wifey B: So far you're the only other one, other than us, not on a major body of water.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #15
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I grew up in Saginaw, MI and lived there for my first 19 years. We boated on Saginaw Bay, starting with a rowboat at age 5.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #16
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
First four years Hakalau, Hawaii next 10 yrs. Aguirre, Puerto Rico, since then Thibodaux Louisiana. I worked in export sales of sugar machinery and for 35 yrs.traveled a lot, mainly Latin America, Africa, and Asia.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
A few places on the Chesapeake Bay. Annapolis, Patuxent River, Potomac River. Such is the path of the spawn of a Navy Pilot.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Las Vegas Nevada
Vessel Name: None Yet
Vessel Model: None Yet
Southwest Florida
Punta Gorda to be exact
Planning on returning on a boat in 6 years when I retire
No Boat but I have a name picked out....Sua Sponte
Old 03-31-2016, 02:01 PM   #19
Guru

City: Here
Fraserburgh, Scotland, I'm wearing the cap. Great Grandfathers boat somewhere in the backgound.
Attached Thumbnails
frazer (2).jpg  
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
First 7 or 8 years in Juneau Alaska. Mom painted (oil and water) the fish boats in Harris Harbor and I walked the docks. Never did fall in and don't remember a PFD. In those days PFD's were for sinking ships. Every other float finger had an outhouse (two holer) and I loved to look down in the water .. Sea Anenomes, crabs and hundreds of starfish. To me then it was like looking out of the deep sea divers helmet. Ever since being in Alaska on the docks (floats actually) with the fishboats makes me feel at home.

My mom always let me run free. We went to Seattle every summer to see grandma on the steamships and the other mothers were apalled at mom's letting me go anywhere but I never got into trouble. When the visability droped to zero I wondered how the captain knew where we were. Still wonder about that. Must have been like a never ending predicted log race.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote