Old 04-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #81
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Cocoa/Rockledge FL. My family had three boats as we were growing up. The first was a 14' sailboat which I was too young to remember much about it. The second was a Regal Line Lancer built in St. Cloud, FL with a 35hp Johnson which was later upgraded to a 50hp Johnson. Did a web search and found someone selling old vintage advertisement photos of an 18' version on eBay. IIRC, ours was 16' with a shorter cockpit. We would cruise on the St. Johns River, Indian River and Banana River locally but we also trailered it all over FL. Mom and dad would sleep on the boat and we would sleep in Army surplus jungle hammocks. Back in that day, the St. Johns used to be navigable south of Sanford down to Melbourne. The last boat was a 25' Owens which was mainly for ocean fishing. Dad kept the boat down at Port Salerno when it was a small fishing town and most of what is now Port St. Lucie didn't exist.

Big changes in FL over the years.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #82

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
So many seem to have spent their childhood right near big water. I grew up near the Touhy Ave beach in Chicago until grade-4, then South Bend, IN. My first boat was a 7' plywood dinghy with her bottom missing that a friend and I found ion the Touhy Beach at age 5. We nailed slats across her open bottom and towed her around the neighborhood on top of a wagon. At Age 10 in South Bend my dad and I installed a new bottom with a daggerboard well and built a sail rig. Mom made a sail on her Singer sewing machine. We'd haul the dinghy to Lake Maxinkukee and sail across from a fishing boat launch to the public beach in Culver.

My first "real" boat was Snipe #7910 my best friend sailed on Diamond Lake, MI at age 16. We towed it with his Jeepster. He used to say that lots of kids in High School owned cars, but we were the only two with a boat. Took my first wife sailing in that Snipe in our college years.

I'm still "boat crazy" at age 76
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #83
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Nick;
7' plywood dinghy with her bottom missing...nailed slats across her open bottom and towed her around the neighborhood on top of a wagon...dad and I installed a new bottom...Mom made a sail on her Singer sewing machine...I'm still "boat crazy" at age 76
Right on Moby Nick!

I'm pretty biased but, after our generation and the next, there is no other growing up like ours, with the Tom Sawyer learning like we did.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Well, I missed out my first 21 years of life, but sure making up for it now.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #85

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
In the middle of Lake Washington, on Mercer Island. Neither parent was particularly into boats, but we had boats around. Long before I could drive a car, I had a 10' Zodiac with 5hp outboard down on the lake. I took that thing all over...Coulon Park for milkshakes and lunch, the Arboretum by UW to jump off the old bridge, even the locks, just because I could.

In middle school we bought a cabin in the San Juans. We had a 20' Whaler I'd use in the summer...the 35-40 knot cruise speed made it easy to visit anywhere in the San Juans in a day, but the logs sure came out of nowhere!
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #86
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever;
I took that thing all over... just because I could.
That...says it all.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #87
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Nick View Post

My first "real" boat was Snipe #7910 my best friend sailed on Diamond Lake, MI at age 16. We towed it with his Jeepster. He used to say that lots of kids in High School owned cars, but we were the only two with a boat. Took my first wife sailing in that Snipe in our college years.

I'm still "boat crazy" at age 76
My first was a Snipe too! Remember distinctly the day my Dad towed it home....I was 3 (67 now). I restored it when I was 12 and Sailed that til my late teens when we traded for a Cal 20...
Old 04-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #88
Veteran Member

City: Mount Vernon, WA / La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Otter
Vessel Model: 1985 President Sundeck 41
I grew up in Edmonds, WA with most of our summers spent on Lake Goodwin, and my wife is from Everett, WA.
Always been close to the Sound or on a lake which makes the boating blood run thick through my veins.

Now that we've been in Helena, MT for 17 years (Swearing we'd never move back to Western Washington) we're now looking to find a place in Skagit or Whatcom County so we can be at a more reasonable distance from Otter.
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #89
Veteran Member

City: Terrell
Vessel Name: Willie Pearl
Vessel Model: Seahorse 54 Sedan
B
I was brought up in the same area as you. I graduated from South Garland in 79. I'm just 35 miles from there now in Terrell Texas. My wife's family had a lake house on Cedar Creek for 20 years learned to ski, fish, pleasure boating etc. there, we were high school sweethearts. Later my own boats would haunt all the local fresh waters. My Grandfather was a big time fisherman and his hand me downs were usually what I ended up buying, price was always right ya know? I have been studying for a few years now. The big water boats. never learned to sail and when semi retiring it seemed I was going backwards to learn lots of things that took so much effort especially solo. My wife loves the beaches however doesn't care for the deep dark big.... really big... water. She's allowing me to run off to the west coast and chase my dreams. she'll be staying at the Lone Star her baby's are here. You asked my gender in another thread. Male......Pearl is my middle name and was some joke between my father and uncle, they're ident twins. I'm sorry to say you are still vastly outnumbered. I hate the Texas summers and the older I get the less I want to try and tolerate another, however there is nothing better than a Texas fall. Football, Deer hunting, and my horse riding slash camping adventures up in the Arkansas Mountains, we have a cabin there. Would be considered hills in the PNW. So I'm going to spend that half here and the other half on my new boat. That's the plan anyway.
pearlwindham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #90
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Pearl-sounds like a plan!

BTW-I like your name. My grandfather, born and raised around Port Natchez, TX was named "Pearlie". He always thought it came from his family roots along the Pearl River in Miss/LA in the mid-1800's.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Chicago. Boating didn't start until after I finished school. Must not have learned much in my many economics/business classes to end up buying a boat.
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #92
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Seattle, WA. Grew up on a houseboat on Lake Union in the 50's and 60's. We always had some type of small boat plus my dad was a tugboater and my grandfather was an entrepreneur of some note. I used to row a 12' steel lifeboat off one of my dads tugs around from the Locks to the UW. Great fun in those days. I wouldn't move back to Seattle if they gave me the place now, just a cesspool in my view.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #93
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Grew up in the near western Chicago suburb of Westchester, near Hillside, Broadview, Brookfield and LaGrange. Every summer, we vacationed in the northwoods of WI and in MN (now the Boundary Waters Wilderness Area). We usually spent a week or two in a family of 8 kids. Sometimes, we'd have a guys only fishing trip that was a great experience.

Spent the best week of my summertime youth canoeing into Canadian waters from International Falls, MN.

Then I went to college, got married, chased a career and almost forgot about boats in the process! I finally came to my senses in 2000!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #94

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Born at the Alameda Naval Air Station (SF Bay Area), so I was practically born on the water, right? My dad was in the CG at the time. Grew up in the Bay Area. My dad was a 1/4 partner in an Owens Aruba, a 42 foot cabin cruiser, which they kept in Berkeley. That's me driving it in the avatar picture.

Later I did some sailing in the Bay, not a lot, but numerous times. Very tricky place for sailing!
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #95
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Grew up on the east side Cleveland, moved to NW Ohio for med school, likely headed to Maine for residency and the rest.

Oddly enough, despite living most of my life less than 10 miles from Lake Erie, and working on lots of other boats on Lake Erie most of my boating experience is on the Ohio, Allegheny, and Mon.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:16 AM   #96
FF
Guru

The Good Book sez , to come as children to be saved.

Grow UP?

not yet!

Maybe in the next 74 years.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:41 AM   #97
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
"Grew up" in my 6th grade class more and faster than any other I encountered. Mr. McGlade was an inspiration. Heck of a mind-opening teacher... in nearly every respect!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #98

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
I grew up in So. Cal beach towns-eventually landing in Santa Barbara. I moved to the Pacific NW after under-grad, shed my grownup ways, and never looked back. Never more than 10 miles from salt-water, and most of the time a lot closer than that.--most of the time with a boat.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote