Old 03-31-2016, 03:01 PM   #21
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Water, water, everywhere and plenty of Guinness to drink!
Attached Thumbnails
Derry.jpg  
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #22

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
I was born, raised, and still live in Memphis, TN. We spent some time on the TN river, but I mainly grew up fishing in lakes on our farm. Still do now with my boys.
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #23
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Where did you grow up?

Was raised in South Texas about 30 minutes from the coast. Parents had a little beach house and my mom and sisters and I spent the entire summer there every year up to high school. Sailing, crabbing, seining for bait, fishing off the pier, reading.

My dad commuted back and forth to work and at 14 I started working with him during the summer. We would get up before daylight and make the drive into work, work all day then drive back in the evening. My dad would sometimes stop for a beer and some pickled pigs feet for the drive back to the bay house. This was the 70s so I don't think the beer was a huge deal, and pickled pigs feet was an actual snack.

Good times...
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: kemah
florida with 4 years in australia.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #25
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Colorado for the first 8 and Biloxi Mississippi for the rest
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:18 PM   #26
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I grew up in western Washington state. Until my dad died when I was 10 we lived in Olympia and had waterfront property and boats. We also had a weekend cabin on Hood Canal. When my dad died we moved inland (to Centralia) 22 miles from salt water. Spent the rest of my youth there except for one year during high school when we moved back to Olympia. I got back into boating that year sailing small boats on the sound. Now I live on the other coast (Maine). I am now inland about 200 yards, but I do live on an island.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:36 PM   #27

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
We moved around a lot when I was young. Mostly small towns in east Texas. The first time I hit the beach in Galveston when I was a toddler made me a water boy. Every where we went I wanted to see water. Lakes, ponds, streams whatever. Skinny dippin' with classmates in stock ponds all during jr high. We moved to Baytown when I was a freshman in high school and I thought I was in hog heaven. Water everywhere, maybe not the cleanest in the '70s but much better now. Bought my first boat when I was 18 and have had some kinda boat ever since.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:58 PM   #28
Guru

Born and raised on an island, Long Island, that is...yes, Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 PM   #29
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
North shore of Mass, Wakefield and Rockport.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #30
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Houston, 1950 to 1968, then off to Texas A&M. Grandparents had a camp on Highland Bayou near Galveston, spent most weekends and school breaks there. First boat was a wood skiff sunk in a neighbors slip. I refloated it and he gave it to me. Uncle gave me a 5 horse Elgin, turn motor 180 degrees for reverse then back and you're off. Backside of the motor had a spark plug with no rubber cover, so when in reverse you had to pay attention or get a nasty shock that really hurt. Those days were the best, 10 years old and captain of the ship.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Grew up in the Little Timber Creek, a tributary of the Delaware River in the small town of Brooklawn, NJ across from Phila, PA. Nearly every day until age 16 ended somewhere around "the crick".
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:05 PM   #32
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Started in Baltimore, have been growing up in 50 or so other places up to now. The growing up isn't over yet, and it looks like the places to grow up isn't over yet either.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #33
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Vancouver Island, BC. 100 acre farm with waterfront and a mountain behind.
If not at the beach, in a boat, on a raft or an "outrigger" made from drift logs
then it was the fields or mountain with a gun (oops, did I say a bad word?).

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:44 PM   #34
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Born and raised in Santa Monica, California. My dad and I fished (small aluminum boat with oars) in a marsh south of town in the mid to late 1950s. The marsh later was dedicated in the mid 1960s as Marina Del Rey. By that time we were fishing offshore Santa Monica and north to Malibu. Those were good times; the population of California was "only" 11 million! The population is now about 38 million and growing.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: I'm just amazed at the near unanimity of TF'ers living on the water or very close from a young age. Plus you have to sort of dismiss my hubby and me as we're not true trawler owners and I like to go fast. For the trawler owner, however you define it, there sure is a consistent pattern from childhood.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Durban, South Africa.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:08 PM   #37

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Born and raised in Southeaster Mass, Taunton, spent my summers, weekends on the water. My father's passion was harpoon sword fishing. Started when I was six. Went everywhere with him even the local bars. Learned to sail a Beetle Cat, and run an outboard skiff. Always had a boat, got my Master ticket in 1980,still have. My Dad and me built a great relationship on the water. He taught me about boats and fishing and some about living.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #38
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Where did you grow up?

Finger Lakes area of New York.

dhays, I have a sailing Minto!
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #39
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Kansas, my brothers and friends all swam and fished in creeks, ponds around home and on vacations the Missouri ozarks. When I got older I discovered the county state lakes and corp lakes within a few hours drive for fishing and swimming. After getting married we built a house on a private lake in a rural area and about every weekend I'ld be out in a jon boat fishing. Our 1st family boat was a 21' StarCraft day cruiser we trailered. We then bought a 2455 Bayliner express cruiser and rented a slip at the a 12,000 acre Corp lake, we spent every weekend on that Bayliner and loved it. That is how my addiction started.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 03-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #40
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'm just amazed at the near unanimity of TF'ers living on the water or very close from a young age. Plus you have to sort of dismiss my hubby and me as we're not true trawler owners and I like to go fast. For the trawler owner, however you define it, there sure is a consistent pattern from childhood.
I think many here are not "true" trawler owners ("trawler" in this case meaning a promotional gimmick-name that romanticizes pleasure boating to the boat-buying public; expressly applied by advertisers to displacement-hull pleasure cruisers). But, rather like you and me... I see many planing hulls on TF that can get up on top of the water and gain speed way beyond hull speed. Some faster than others... but... all able to well exceed displacement style "hull speed"

MOF - I don't know of one "true" trawler (i.e., an outfitted commercial fishing boat) that is on this site.

Our Tollycraft is a "pleasure cruiser"... from its birth to its death.

To follow this thread's intent: I was born in Freeport LI, NY; on the water often. Family moved to Pittsburg for short period. Came back on LI to Woodmere. Moved to N. Merrick; on the water more than often. Spent time in and out of NY City and Queens/Kew-Gardens with family members. In Maine by my 17th year; Camden on Penobscot Bay. The rest is still evolving history!

Never plan to grow up!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote