Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #21

City: Portland OR
I second skidgear's comment on safety.

The boat will probably make it through weather and waves just as well regardless of whether I'm up top or down below. But, if we can't safely go back and forth, that means it's time to stay down.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Tropical Blend
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 43
I find that the FB is unsafe after 7 or 8 drinks...

I have yet to be in a cruising situation where I thought that it was not safe. I use the PH for overnight passages and bad weather only. Probably the worst time on the FB was on a powercat charter in BVI when the north swell was hitting the north shore of Tortola. The swell was about 12 feet from the north, and the wind was whipping up 5 feet waves in the opposite direction. That induced a lot of slamming and rolling - I remember that as the Christmas Day Hell cruise. That boat only had a FB helm. Even if it had a PH, I would have used the FB for the visibility - I find it a lot easier to judge the waves from the higher vantage point.

Blender Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Thanks to LarryM for posting this photo in another thread. Fishing one day in 8-10' seas off Cape Lookout, NC in a Bertram like this one, I was running from the only drive station which was the flybridge. We went down the front of a sea. The bow caught buoyancy in the back of the next sea. When the bow rose my head was going forward. The edge of the reverse sloping windshield slammed into my mouth. One tooth broken, one with several cracks, and the lower lip cut clean through. Did we stop fishing. Oh no. We were young and foolish, but we caught a lot of fish. Those were some really expensive fish that day.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
I second skidgear's comment on safety.

The boat will probably make it through weather and waves just as well regardless of whether I'm up top or down below. But, if we can't safely go back and forth, that means it's time to stay down.
Thos topic is a real golden oldie chestnut. For mine, the above comments are however largely true, although the extra weight up top does not help the cause, but the danger getting up or down is totally relevant, and the fact the motion is magnified at hull speeds. In planing boats the motion is smoother, so less unpleasant, but accidents like Don just described are also more common up there.

I found it interesting how at the latest Sactuary Cove Boat Show I attended a couple of weeks ago an increasing number of the new models on display of the newer trawler style boats were without flybridges.
I often look at mine and think I could do without it quite easily the amount of time we spend up there, and then I'd have room for more solar panels. I certainly think flybridges on a pilothouse model are a waste of space and look like pimples on pumkins...
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

Thanks to LarryM for posting this photo in another thread. Fishing one day in 8-10' seas off Cape Lookout, NC in a Bertram like this one, I was running from the only drive station which was the flybridge. We went down the front of a sea. The bow caught buoyancy in the back of the next sea. When the bow rose my head was going forward. The edge of the reverse sloping windshield slammed into my mouth. One tooth broken, one with several cracks, and the lower lip cut clean through. Did we stop fishing. Oh no. We were young and foolish, but we caught a lot of fish. Those were some really expensive fish that day.
Don - That why you write with a lisp!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Fly Bridge!!!
After 23 years of operating a flybridgeless sedan, and now having had a boat with a flybridge for the past few years, I approve of, and totally agree with, this eloquent endorsement.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #27
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Don,

I've spent a fair amount of time on a Bertram 31 and am still amazed at how seaworthy and rugged they are. When I read your post, I felt your pain, but had to laugh. I've almost been right there . . .

We continued fishing many times when boats twice our size were returning to port.

Here is a link for your amusement. This is what flying bridges are for!

Larry
m/v Boomarang
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #28
Guru

Yep, been there too.

Running the old Bertram 31s from the bridge Larry probably knows that the wheel is more or less flat (not vertical). Not much to brace yourself with up there especially when having to work the wheel. When the bow goes down sometimes your weight will turn the wheel making you lean that much more. That's when that treacherous windshield would come up to meet you. Had to learn that one the hard way.

I had a friend with a Bertram 38 with a very tall tower. Had to laugh at the sportfishing boat video. It reminded me of tournaments on the east coast. The Bertrams because of their extreme deep Vee hulls would lean drastically in a turn. Coming out of the Fishing Center at Oregon Inlet when the boat leaned into a turn and you were in the tower you would be well out over the water with no boat directly under you. That's crazy stuff.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I think I would have waited 60 seconds for the crazies to get their head start! That's pretty wild!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #30
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Up until Bertram moved their factory, my store was right next door. I loved watching them carry the 31's across the road and drop them in the Miami river. I guess that would have been forty years ago. The 31 was the best looking Bertram ever. I know of a beauty that has twin diesels in her and is for sale. If only I had some money.

The problem with the 31 is the bridge is to small to party on.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #31
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Don-I fished the Hatteras Marlin tournament many years a go. We also used to fish a lot of the king mackerel tournaments in the Carolinas. The starts are crazy, upwards of 100-150 boats, anywhere from 20+ feet up to the really big 65'+ sportfishers. At the start-full throttle-full speed ahead! Amazing how much wake gets thrown up and how rough the water gets

I have to agree with Hop on the Bert 31'. Truly one of the finest looking and most functional boats ever built. They still bring a good price in good condition. We fished on a 42' Hatt and did the Hatteras/Bertram Shootout in Walker's Cay twice. Would always see several of the 31's in amongst the multi-million $$ battlewagons.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #32
Guru

Don,

This should bring back some memories of that special helm on the Bertram 31. Nothing to hang onto but that wheel. I'm sure you remember how easy it is to wash the blood off of these little boats, fish blood, fisherman's blood, skipper's blood . . . .

These things are such a hoot!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I can almost picture that helm with redneck blood, lip tissue and tooth parts.

Don, how did the boat fare after your facial collision?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #34
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
A guy at my marina just bought a Bert 31 sight unseen and had it trucked up from southern CA for refit. I must say it is one sexy boat. He stripped all the fishing gear off of it and is turning it into a day cruiser for he and the wife. I think he's putting a pair of new Cummins diesels in it.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Don, ...

That's not my style.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I can almost picture that helm with redneck blood, lip tissue and tooth parts.

Don, how did the boat fare after your facial collision?

We were very concerned about the boat. It looked like it had lost a lot of blood.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #37
Guru

Our flybridge can be uncomfortable in a beam sea but not dangerous. Why run in a beam sea? When on a predicted log race, and you have no choice.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Don,

I've spent a fair amount of time on a Bertram 31 and am still amazed at how seaworthy and rugged they are. When I read your post, I felt your pain, but had to laugh. I've almost been right there . . .

We continued fishing many times when boats twice our size were returning to port.

Larry
m/v Boomarang
Larry, during the Big Rock Marlin Tournament we were following a 53' Hatteras out Beaufort Inlet. Large sportsfishermen headed in every direction. The Hatteras had a mate sitting on the gunwale in the corner of the starboard quarter. One minute he was there. Next minute he was gone. As I went over a wave I saw an arm waving low in the water. We stopped and got him aboard. Raidioed the Hat, and he met us out in some calmer water for the mate to swim back. They had not missed him. From the video you posted, it's easy to see how that could happen. Oh to be young and foolish again------or maybe not. Good times anyway.

I will have to say that I had not been on a flybridge it would have been difficult to see the guy in the water. It was his lucky day.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #39
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
All these posts on the Bertram 31s and not a mention of the most famous Bertram of all, the Moppie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moppie.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	20350  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Yep, been there too.

I had a friend with a Bertram 38 with a very tall tower. Had to laugh at the sportfishing boat video. It reminded me of tournaments on the east coast. The Bertrams because of their extreme deep Vee hulls would lean drastically in a turn. Coming out of the Fishing Center at Oregon Inlet when the boat leaned into a turn and you were in the tower you would be well out over the water with no boat directly under you. That's crazy stuff.
Don,

You mean like this . . . . Woo Hoo!! Man those thing can turn.

OK, I've GOT to get my head back in the game and quit this reminiscing . . .

Larry
m/v Boomarang