Old 09-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney
When will you pack it in?

A month ago I met a gal who was prepping to walk the 800km El Camino Trail. She will celebrate her 80th birthday on the trek.

Last week I met a couple on a GB 42 who have decided that next year they will give up their annual solitary cruises to Alaska and start travelling with other boats. She is 80 and he is 85.

We should all be blessed with such good fortune.

I have given up riding largely because I need to get back on the water but mostly because my reaction time has lost a beat. There is a five point buck on US 395 that is waiting to challenge my abilities and I’m not going there.

The salt water in my veins is still good and I feel I have some good boating years left. Realities of physical and mental abilities will not be denied and I will loop the rode to my ankle when I know I’m done.

So, how long do you plan to paddle the dugout how old is too old?

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
How old are you now?

We are currently 57/58 and we plan to keep on going until health/our safety forces us to stop. Even then I will probably get a little runabout.,

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #3

City: Fulton, Missouri
Vessel Name: Attitude Adjustment
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
Until I'm no longer physically or mentally able to! I've just turned 50 and hope I've got a few decades of boating(and riding) ahead of me. Aging is a very individual process, you don't know ahead of time how it will treat you, so enjoy every day along the way to the fullest!
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
How old are you now?
Well, two mornings ago, I was much older than I am today.

By the calendar, I'm nestled right in the middle between you and the skipper who is going to scuttle his AK solos.

I'm playing the big crib game to move the peg 5 holes at a time and see if I make it past the skunk line.

Thumbs up on the runabout to finish the race.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I have given up riding largely because I need to get back on the water but mostly because my reaction time has lost a beat. There is a five point buck on US 395 that is waiting to challenge my abilities and I’m not going there.
I've done the same after 25 years in the Motorcycle business...My Honda pension now pays for my boat hobby. I still dabble a bit with my Vespa, but I'm loath to expose myself to the risks that are out there in this age of distracted driving. I live in the most dangerous (vehicular) county in the state..

I've met some older cruising couples as well...I think beyond about 75 it gets a little touch and go...Some hang on to the end, some gracefully make the move to shore after years of great memories.. I'll boat as long as I can...Done it since I was a kid.. 66 yrs young at the moment..I figure I have another 10 years..
Old 09-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'm going to "pack it in" very soon.
I'm 75 and if I was still in Alaska i would'nt but here most anchorages are busy and going to a marina most nights is expensive. My base moorage is expensive and my income is going down and there's taxes and much other expense. Selling Willy will definitely simplify life and I view that as a good thing. I've learned a lot w Willy and had wonderful times underway and otherwise.

So for me call it "age 76".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Well I'm 31 now. I figure I've got another 20 years before the cheeseburgers get their revenge...
Old 09-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Basically satisfied if it all ended today---but another ten good years would be great!

I am now 62 years old.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Basically satisfied if it all ended today---but another ten good years would be great!I am now 62 years old.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The only people that want to live to be 100 are now 99. When do i pack it in? Don't know, but probably when they take the keys away or shot by a jealous husband. Now, that's the way to go.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Well I'm 31 now. I figure I've got another 20 years before the cheeseburgers get their revenge...

Ha, the cheeseburgers and bourbon have already had their way with me at 59. But after 2 months of paying attention I've beaten back most of their advances!

When do I pack it in? I won't know because I'll be pushing up daises before I'll admit defeat.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I'm 55, so if it's in the cards health-wise there could be 20 to 30 more years left in me. Cool!

I'll probably hang on too long, and Badger will be one of those boats people look at and wonder why it doesn't move from its berth anymore. Why? Because some days it's enough to know there's a boat sitting there, and I could disappear down the channel if I was able to and/or had the time.

There'll be a point however, where my not getting down to the marina enough will put Badger in danger, and that's where I'll draw the line. We had a bunch of boats go down this winter in a record snowfall, and many of them were old timers boats.

I think some of the boats that sank had a bunch of little jobs that were past due that kept being put off until "later". Those accumulated factors probably contributed to the boats going down due to the weight of the snow, combined with the road being closed, and the power being out for three days.

So, I'll probably pack it in well after my actual boating days are over, but before it endangers the boat that has already added so much to our lives.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #13

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
I'm 70 now and healthy. Looking to do the great loop completely but still working as well. Not thinking of slowing down for years yet unless forced to by health issues. Maybe in my 80's? 😉
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Very interesting question. Now 51 and probably won't retire until early 60s. That's when the fun will really begin (I hope). Long term cruising will be my objective. South Pacific first I hope. So that means I have about a decade to get Stillwater ready for the trip!

As others have said - there's no knowing how aging will be for each of us. I hope that I'll be boating into my 70s. If I have to stop earlier I think I'll feel a bit cheated. If I'm still at it in my 80s I'll feel like I won the lottery.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Last October I had a knee replacement. Lena and I still spent March - June out with 2 months in the Bahamas with only 5 nights in the marina the entire trip. This November I get a new hip and we're planning on heading south in February, if not before. When we do we hang it up? When I have so much metal that I can't float on my own anymore.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
When I can't get on and off the boat under my own power or stay alert continuously for at least ten hours, the Coot will be for sale.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #17
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
When I was 5, I shot my first dove on the wing. It was a couple more years before I finally learned how to shoot a limit of doves on the wing with less than a box of shells, but I was deadly shooting them out of trees. I guess I can always go back to shooting them out of trees, but when I can't do that, I will have to also give up the boat.

Tom
tpbrady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #18
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I'm battling eye issues at 58. Had two cornea transplants so far. It's really affecting my ability to boat.
If we get a handle on this then 15 years. If not ?

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My ninety-three-old father at the time wasn't confident to continue piloting the boat due to his declining eyesight.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #20

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
I'm 64 and boating is still a joy, but the maintenance ain't.
Just done a bottom job and polished the topsides on Pioneer and this will be the last time I do it myself. Took a couple of weeks to recover.
I can still do all the mechanical stuff, but need longer bars and bigger wrenches to compensate for reduced strength.
I expect to have another 15 years or so, if I take it easy and hire people for the really big stuff.

Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote