Old 09-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #81
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
5 world records for the age of 100. I think that's an accomplishment but don't think probably a lot of records out there for that age. He probably can win any race in his age group. No competition.
Technically, of course, you're right. I prefer to see it as his competition being with gravity and the inevitable urge to give up--the toughest competitors any of us will ever be up against.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #82
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
...... how old is too old?
Hawgwash--- I was brought up to not put any importance on age. In fact, once I was past the little kid stage when birthday parties are an important social activity, we did not celebrate or even acknowledge birthdays again.

How long one boats is totally up to the individual. There are boaters in our harbor who still operate their boats even though they rely on physical assistance to get around (canes, etc.). And I know boaters who bailed on boating at a relatively early age because their interests changed and they had gotten everything out of boating they wanted to get.

My wife and I have no idea how long we will continue to boat. We have started a new boating experience in Europe which is vastly different than what we do in the PNW, but we have no plans to curtail our boating in this area. So we will stop boating when we stop boating. We are working with the state with regards to having our PNW boat used as a fish habitat (artificial reef) when we're done using it, but we are not attaching any projected dates to this.

Like every change in my life, we will stop boating when we feel it's the right time to stop boating. And when we do, we will see it as the correct decision and we won't feel bad about it.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #83
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We have started a new boating experience in Europe which is vastly different than what we do in the PNW.
I envy you. How great it would be to experience the world by water.Your Own Vessel in Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Like every change in my life, we will stop boating when we feel it's the right time to stop boating. And when we do, we will see it as the correct decision and we won't feel bad about it.
Exactly.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
How great it would be to experience the world by water.
Well, I've certainly barely scratched the surface of "international" boating but I've done a bit. My wife and I do a fair amount of narrowboating on the canals in England. I and my crew have done some work by boat in Abu Dhabi, Istanbul, New Zealand, and on the Danube in Austria. And we've had some interesting experiences in China, the most notable going down the famous Li River and being taught how to fish using cormorants. I've posted these shots in the past but it was before you joined TF so here is a sample.

First two shots are of the boat we use on the English canals (in the first shot my wife is balancing on the toe ledge and the husband of the couple who joined us for part of that trip is steering), next three are scenes on the Li River, then a shot of the fellow who taught us to fish with cormorants and me and "my" cormorant for the day, then a couple of shots on the canals of Zhujiajiao, China, and finally one of the boats we filmed on in Xiamen, China.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	willow-1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	44895   Click image for larger version

Name:	willow-10.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	44896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li River 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	44897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li River 4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	44898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li River 3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	44899  

Name:	Cormorant 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	44900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cormorant 1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	44901   Click image for larger version

Name:	China 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	44902   Click image for larger version

Name:	China 3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	44903   Click image for larger version

Name:	China 4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	44904  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #85
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
It is strange to see so many youngsters responding to this thread. I would not think that packing it in would even register on their radar yet. :-)
Guess not too many people were born on the water, as Janice and I were. When you are born on the water, and your first baby memories are water lapping against the hull, the changes of the tide, the boat gently rocking you to sleep, and the wind wailing and moaning in the rigging at times, then it is built into your DNA. In my opinion anyway. I was born in Pensacola, Florida, on a commercial fishing boat operated by my parents and my older brothers, and don't really remember touching dry land until the Law required that I go to school. I hated it.
So, different strokes for different folks. But I will pack it in when, and only when, I cannot even slowly crawl to do the things which need to be done. Until then, I will crawl if I have to. Even a bad day on the water is still better than a good day on land.
Well stated!

" Even a bad day on the water is still better than a good day on land."

Amen!
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #86
Guru

Quote:
...When we no longer medically qualify for renewal of our Captain's Licenses, then we'll stop boating alone...
That last statement concerns me?

I guess depending on the medical reason, I could see it, but there are so many other "medical" DQ's that don't amount to a hill of beans to the non commercial boater, that I don't think I would let that be a determining factor.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #87
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
That last statement concerns me?

I guess depending on the medical reason, I could see it, but there are so many other "medical" DQ's that don't amount to a hill of beans to the non commercial boater, that I don't think I would let that be a determining factor.
Note that I didn't say we'd stop boating, just would do it with others or a captain. I guess you're right in the question of what the medical disqualification might be.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #88

Don't know about that.

Good day on land:
Painting party

Name:	body painting party.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	44984

Bad day on the water:
Hung up

Name:	boat grounded.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	44985

Just sayin'
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #89
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
That looks like on the land to me!!!!

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Don't know about that.

Good day on land:
Painting party
Attachment 44984

Bad day on the water:
Hung up
Attachment 44985

Just sayin'
Point well taken lol
Old 09-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #91

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Interesting topic. Just turned 73 and just became a widower all in the same month. Also just renewed my Masters 100T for the 8th time. Still work part time as a boat captain for a tour boat company. Don't have the physical stamina I used to have, so I hire some things done, both at home and on the boat. My next masters renewal is in five years, and I will be 78. Will hang the ticket up, but not boating. We will judge that as best we can at the time. As long as I have my whit's about me and can operate safely I will keep boating Was out driving the mussel car yesterday, I need to be careful there, very easy to forget who you are and what your doing. LOL

Dad sold his last boat when he was 82, mostly because of mother's illness. The last year he had it a young man ( under 30) asked him why he wanted to keep a big boat at his age. Answer "Because I want to, I can afford to, and I choose to. That alright with you"?

I don't know the author of this quote but it seems fitting. " Life isn't a journey to the grave with intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, boy thoroughly worn out, and screaming " Whoo-hoo! WHAT A RIDE"!

We get too soon Old- and to late smart.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sortie View Post
I don't know the author of this quote but it seems fitting. " Life isn't a journey to the grave with intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, boy thoroughly worn out, and screaming " Whoo-hoo! WHAT A RIDE"!
I don't know the author either, but I do know that my 72-year old girlfriend has it posted on her refrigerator.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sortie View Post
Interesting topic. Just turned 73 and just became a widower all in the same month.
My sincerest condolences

Quote:
Also just renewed my Masters 100T for the 8th time. Still work part time as a boat captain for a tour boat company. Don't have the physical stamina I used to have, so I hire some things done, both at home and on the boat. My next masters renewal is in five years, and I will be 78. Will hang the ticket up, but not boating. We will judge that as best we can at the time. As long as I have my whit's about me and can operate safely I will keep boating Was out driving the mussel car yesterday, I need to be careful there, very easy to forget who you are and what your doing. LOL
Awesome!

Quote:
Dad sold his last boat when he was 82, mostly because of mother's illness. The last year he had it a young man ( under 30) asked him why he wanted to keep a big boat at his age. Answer "Because I want to, I can afford to, and I choose to. That alright with you"?
I like your dad's attitude!

Quote:
Damned Skippy!

Quote:
We get too soon Old- and to late smart.

John
Ain't that a fact!
Old 09-27-2015, 12:36 AM   #94
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
54 next week. I see at least 40 more years of sunsets, sunrises and hurricanes in my future. It's all so relative. I run 10-15 miles every other day and my mile time dropped mysteriously by a full minute a year ago. Dad and mom are in their 80s and doing great. I sure hope my last day is at the wheel. The kids have demanded that they give me a viking funeral!
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:50 AM   #95
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Never

Let my boat be my casket. I'm 72 and all my own maintenance. I also work on boats for others . I'll stop boating if and when I lose mental capacity to drive one. Physical limitations are in your head. I've seen a wheel chair bound couple cruising in a 28' Bayliner in Nanimo. They did it alone, just the two of them. If you have reached the point where the effort to do it outways the joy, then stop. But don't let your beliefs get in your way. Today's 60 is your parents 40. As to bikes I've given them up as well. My span of attention and eyesight make dangerous. Unless your that idiot that hit a bouy at 148mph most boats just aren't that fast. At six kts I think my reactions are just fine.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:05 AM   #96
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
As to bikes I've given them up as well. My span of attention and eyesight make dangerous. Unless your that idiot that hit a bouy at 148mph most boats just aren't that fast. At six kts I think my reactions are just fine.
Hope you were joking about your reason for giving up bikes.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #97
Veteran Member

City: Coffman Cove, Alaska and Nevada
Vessel Name: Kraken
Vessel Model: Hewescraft
Anxiety

This topic creates anxiety for me. Im 49 with my last child just starting high school. My wife and I have always talked about boating big boat style and this has been a life long dream for us. Well maybe its more of my dream. I love the ocean. We do spend a lot of time on the water at our cabin in Alaska but its not the same. I want to hit the water and start cruising once our last child is in college. My wife has now started a masters program with an eye on an administration position in the school district. That does not seem like a 4 year plan to me. There is the source of my anxiety.
Nevada Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
As to bikes I've given them up as well. My span of attention and eyesight make dangerous.
Quote:
Hope you were joking about your reason for giving up bikes.
I don't understand that comment unless you thought he was referring to bicycles.

I assumed he was talking about motorcycles and to give up riding for attention and eyesight reasons are wise, noble and very right.

I have too many riding friends who have pushed the envelope too far and lived to regret it. Others who are older than I and still riding wisely; safely; smartly.

A very good friend and sometimes riding buddy is ex-military and a retired LEO Staff Sergeant. He is 72, hits the gym every day and walks a ton. He absolutely refuses to believe he is not fit like twenty and refuses to be accountable for the small but increasing misjudgements. It's always the fault of some other person or thing.

This past spring he lay under his bike in the driveway for half an hour until his neighbour heard his calls. He had a bucket full of excuses, none of which were his diminished strength.

I will get a call from his wife one day.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Mike View Post
This topic creates anxiety for me. Im 49 with my last child just starting high school.
A month ago, I met a couple from Seattle; both 59.
She had sailed some and he had never owned a boat; never been on the water.

3 years ago they bought a 49 Grand Banks Classic.
They spent several months gutting and redoing the interior, took some courses splashed it, paid for 6 four hour sessions with a captain and cast off. Last year they puttered around Puget Sound.

When I met them in August they were returning from a 2 month cruise of BC and Alaska.

You have 30 boating years ahead of you.
Get a boat, something for a teenager to play with on the water and away you go.

Oh, and relax.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #100
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Having started boating along the ICW some 45 years ago, it was quite ordinary to see older people stopping in at our marina. So, I saw early that boating could be a very long term endeavor. In fact, that is one of the things that fascinated me. The older people were active and interesting. To me that was a good thing.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote