Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #61
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Out of the mouths of babes. Well, not exactly. But when you used a newly created word, "simpleized" instead of "simplified" it made me think. Taking your hint, I call what you did as you "Simplesized" your life.

Simplesized: Downsized to simplify.

I like it.

I like it too. I'm working on making it a lifestyle!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 09-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #62
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
No one in my family ever owned a boat. My father and grandfather took me shopping with them to a Sears store when I was 5 years old. They realized I was missing and began hunting for me. They found me sitting in a row boat in the sporting goods department. I cried when they tried to take me out of it. I wasn't born on a boat, the boat was born in me.

Howard

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #63
Veteran Member

City: Fort McAllister, Ga
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Dragged pegs on the tail off to the dragon 3 times this summer on my Victory Kingpin wishing these slow bikes would get the hell out of my way. I'm 65.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #64
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Dragged pegs on the tail off to the dragon 3 times this summer on my Victory Kingpin wishing these slow bikes would get the hell out of my way. I'm 65.

God help me If I every purchased a Victory over a HD that's when I would know I had lost my mind
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #65
Veteran Member

City: Maryville, TN
Vessel Name: malu lani
Vessel Model: Albin 27 FC
It's funny how these 50 and 60 year old kids talk about being old! I still hike the AT, fish the mountain streams, do my own bottom jobs and hull waxing, and just enjoy life. All my joints and organs are OEM. My boat gives me purpose in life and never lets me down by providing another "job" that needs doing. I'll probably swallow the anchor when she's "finished", so I know I'll be around for a few more years, at least! 74 and counting! Ben
tego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #66

City: Bohemia
I'm 63. I gave up my 38' sail boat because of my back surgery. I down sized to a 27 Ranger Tug. Love the boat. Maybe should have went a little bigger? I can't do all of the maintenance, but I would rather pay someone and keep on boating. I do change the oil, winterize, cover her up for the winter and wax her in the spring. I can also do the bottom. The impeller is real tuff, I will pay for that one. But, all that said, even with my physical issues, I have 15 years to go. (I hope) I will sell when I can't get on and off the boat and in and out of the vee birth.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #67
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
53 here, retired at 40. Been in some kind of boat since 16 or so. My favorite uncle died recently. They kept telling him the JackDaniels was gonna kill him. Finally got him at 93. He lived large, and is my roll model.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:46 AM   #68
Veteran Member

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Libertad
Vessel Model: Offshore 54
Another 63 YO here. I have always done my own boat work but can see the day coming when the tough stuff will have to be farmed out. Actually, I find that I am getting better at most boat related activities as I age, just not the ones that require more strength and flexibility.

My main gripe and the thing that will eventually knock me off the water is a lack of adventurous on-the-water companions. I want to go places that intrigue me and as I get further off the beaten track it gets harder to interest those around me to partake. I still believe that life is about the things that take your breath away. For me that doesn't happen much on land.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	44878
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:16 AM   #69
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
There's a guy at my sailing club who, until a couple of years ago, was a very competitive racer. It was always fun to see people underestimate him because of his age (90+) and then watch him trounce the fleet. He was part of a WW2 bomber crew, shot down over Germany and spent time as a POW. His best sailing buddy at the club was a former WW2 German soldier who also became a POW.

The guy below was the subject of a NY Times story yesterday. I'm thinking that if he (at age 100) can set 5 world records for his age group in 95-degree heat, I should be able to boat into my 90s--assuming I stay healthy.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #70

City: Hobart
Vessel Name: Theresa
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 66 LRMY
The PO of our boat was 94 when he sold her to us.
He bought the boat new in 1983,he used the boat on weekend with his girlfriend and his house during the week with his wife.Apparently they all got on OK.
My wife wasn't so keen on the idea for some reason.
stornoway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #71
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Sometimes the obvious solution is there right in front of us. A proper wife at home- and an adventurous weekend girlfriend ...

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #72
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
There's a guy at my sailing club who, until a couple of years ago, was a very competitive racer. It was always fun to see people underestimate him because of his age (90+) and then watch him trounce the fleet. He was part of a WW2 bomber crew, shot down over Germany and spent time as a POW. His best sailing buddy at the club was a former WW2 German soldier who also became a POW.

The guy below was the subject of a NY Times story yesterday. I'm thinking that if he (at age 100) can set 5 world records for his age group in 95-degree heat, I should be able to boat into my 90s--assuming I stay healthy.

Ian, I think I see this guys motivation.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #73

City: Brunswick, georgia
Vessel Name: M/V Marcail
Vessel Model: Marine Trading 44
Send a message via AIM to marcail
I'm 68 and just finished moving Marcail (MT 44) from Gulf Shores, Al to Brunswick, Ga. Last leg (and others) single handed. Great trip and several new friends along the way. I plan to keep doing these memories building activities till reality takes over. I still fly my plane and occasional take a car to historic races..... It keeps me active.......go till you can't.
marcail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #74

Very interesting thread.

After witnessing a very old boater hit several boats (at least 8 and it was a scene) trying to moor his, I decided that I will pack it in before I become a hazard to others and myself.

I have an older friend that gave up driving his boat but not his boat. He gets a friend to drive and sometimes hires a captain.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #75
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
After witnessing a very old boater hit several boats (at least 8 and it was a scene) trying to moor his, I decided that I will pack it in before I become a hazard to others and myself.
BINGO!
How many don't?
In any endeavour.
At any age.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #76
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Yes, he just needs to invest in some elbow pads.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #77
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Right, Don. The title of this thread is morphing in an entirely new direction.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #78
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I took "Sandpiper" out yesterday for a 20 mile ride, just to give her some exercise. Coming back in to San Diego Harbor, I shot this short video to remind me why I love this city so much! As long as someone will prop me up at the helm, I will continue to have and use a boat.
Attached Files

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #79
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
5 world records for the age of 100. I think that's an accomplishment but don't think probably a lot of records out there for that age. He probably can win any race in his age group. No competition.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #80
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Very interesting thread.

I have an older friend that gave up driving his boat but not his boat. He gets a friend to drive and sometimes hires a captain.
We figure the last 10 years or so of our boating will be a captain doing it all for us. We've committed to each other, can't promise how well we'll keep those commitments but we'll try, that when we become unsafe driving a car, we'll stop and use a driver (whether of our car or taxi or whatever).

When we no longer medically qualify for renewal of our Captain's Licenses, then we'll stop boating alone. However, we'll continue boating as long as we can enjoy it.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote