Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #41
City: Heartland
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee

[QUOTE=healhustler;372226]Turned 65 in July. This may be the first year I'm unable change-out my 8D house batteries solo, ....we'll see.

Larry, trade them 8 D's in for golf cart batteries and a four part block and tackle and you will be good to go. I made that change and at age 79 I can handle the battery change solo.
The way I look at it age is just a number. I think messing about with these twenty some thing boats keep us young. So when do I pull the plug ? ask me when I get a little older. Right now I'm enjoying the ride.

HiDHo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:00 PM   #42
City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"When they pry my cold dead hands from the helm. And even then, reluctantly."
I greatly admire friends who, at 89 and 88 respectively, have just this year sold their boat and house and gone into an assisted living development. His health has been an issue for the last couple of decades. Two heart attacks at the wheel, macular degeneration that lost him his driver's license 4 or 5 years ago. But until last summer, 2 to 3 months cruising the inside passage as far north as Alaska or over to Haida Gwai every summer for the last 30 to 35 years. I hope to do so well.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #43
City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Thought boaters didn't go by calendars. Same thing you say about cruising I think is true about life. I have no freaking idea. I don't know what I'm going to eat for breakfast today. We live in the present. Can't change the past and if I lived in it I'd be miserable. Can't control the future. Maybe the day it's no longer our fave thing? They day it's not comfy? I don't think any of us can plan but I think we know. I think probably like most athletes though we refuse to admit it and go a little too long. We love boating so do as much as we can now. Everyone says we'll get tired of it. Of course those saying that aren't boaters and never were. Some of you older people here give me hope for doing it a long long time. I'm 36 and never imagined my life being anything like it is today. Four years ago I'd never thought of living in Florida, never cruised the ocean.

I don't want to be old tomorrow but I look forward to it, to as long as it's good for us, life I mean. When the bad outweighs the good, then no thanks, or the pain outweighs the other moments. My hubby's biggest fear is Alzheimer's because his mental skills have always been so much a part of him. Guess mine's sagging you know what but then there's treatment for that.

I get upset when I hear 12 year olds asked what they want to do when they grow up. Well, easy for me. I don't ever plan to grow up, whatever that is. I'll be a brat at 90 if I can. When the day comes boating no longer works for us, bet we'll do it virtually or at least watch others do it. Maybe some day other interests leap over boating. Can't imagine that but could I guess.

One thing we do too is spend time with younger people. Yeah, even at our ages. 19 and 20 year olds can make you laugh and smile. They'll keep you young. When we're 80 we'll depend on 50 year olds and 30 year olds and my hubby will still be eyeing the 18 year olds, dirty old man. Not really. I was 21 when we met. Thank god that's the way he still sees me.

All I can say is make the most of every day. We'll keep trying to do that. They run out sometime and there aren't as many as we want.

We have an older couple with us right now who just sold their 200' or so boat to get into some real boating. Seriously, they have found they like smaller better. Boats that is. He made a comment today. He said, "I just realized we've traveled the world and seen so little." That's in reaction to us showing him places and things he'd never seen, places he hadn't been to. Places he couldn't get to in his boat. But it's so true. Always more to see, more to do. As long as we can. Until the time comes we can no longer dream. Then it's over I guess. There comes a time life no longer has value I think. Hope I die the day before that.

Ok, now the part I have so much trouble facing and I know some of you do and have. Life without my hubby. I didn't like life before him and sure as he.l don't want to think of it after. I've never lied to him and I've promised if he goes first I'll continue to live and enjoy. That would definitely be the hardest promise to ever fulfill. I'd have to, but I don't know how.

Ok, that turned serious so now back to being a teenager.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:42 AM   #44
City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
The past few years the old body has been in noticeable decline. We boat in very remote areas and help is not instant. We thought about dropping the pick on dry land and live on the memories. Instead we sold the boat and downsized to one with much less maintance with fewer systems to worry about and continue to enjoy boating. This has been working well as we completed an 800 mile cruise this summer.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #45
City: Sydney
Looks like I'm doing a lot better than the rest of you that's a worry
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #46
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I'm almost 57. Hoping to get my bucket list trips done before 65. Hoping to be cruising till 70. Willing to accept more. Prepared to accept less.

I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #47
City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
62 now and retired 3years ago to enjoy what life has while I still can. We have boated thru out the state of florida with trailerable boats and now have the live aboard we always wanted,and downsized our house to an condo and simpleized our life. Moved to the keys and live aboard in marathon. We wanted to cruise ,but enjoy living aboard so we do short trips. Still doing what I can aboard and will evalveuate in 5 years as how things are are then maybe a motorhome? Health is good just have to know your limits and ability.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #48
City: Bass Harbor
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I am 63 and am definitely slowing down. My wife will be 71 next month. She has significant mobility limitations which impact our boating. I still singlehand both boats, but prefer to have someone else along.

As far as maintenance goes, last Spring I had several weeks of serious back pain as a result of boat work. We will see how it goes next year, but I think I will be selling at least one boat next year. Right now my thought is to sell both and replace them with a bigger trawler. One bigger boat will be less work than two boats.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #49

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 37 2002
68 and slowing down some, mostly in the more physical maintenance chores. Boat trailer bearings, truck brakes etc sure take more days each year than they used to. And the annual buff/wax of the boat. One way of addressing this may be to move on to a boat that doesn't require a trailer, or groveling and reaching down into the engine box. As long as I can keep up with the maintenance, I plan to keep on cruising. When I'm out on the water for a summer, I don't feel so old.
Richard Cook
Dream Catcher (Nordic Tug 37)
New Moon (Bounty 257, Volvo KAD44P)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #50
City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
When I'm out on the water for a summer, I don't feel so old.

Yes. Same here. It's a happy reality

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
Steve Point Cadet/ Biloxi, Mississippi USA
*Present 42 twin 135 Lehmans
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #51
City: Fort Myers
Noticed a few of my coaches from way back still looking great and most of that can be associated with active lifestyle, so we are 5 years away from retiring and working hard to stay active and healthy, God willing would like a long retirement behind the wheel moving from port to port.
For all those in your 70's and 80's still after it, congratulations, that's awesome.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #52
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Never seen so much blind optimism.

The old know what they're talk'in about and the young have no idea.

Interesting reading the coments of 60 to 65 year olds as they do indeed accurately describe me 10 to 15 years ago ..... in many coments. I'm 75.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #53
City: Fort Lauderdale
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
simpleized our life. .
Wifey B: Out of the mouths of babes. Well, not exactly. But when you used a newly created word, "simpleized" instead of "simplified" it made me think. Taking your hint, I call what you did as you "Simplesized" your life.

Simplesized: Downsized to simplify.

I like it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #54
City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We have been a live a board for 18 years, and have talked about that and where do we want to retire to. We have decided we will live aboard as long as we can get up and down the dock and get on of the boat in the summer and head south fo the winter with the motor home. We figure mid 70's, 10 more years. We might keep the boat after we move of as it gives me something to do and keeps me active. My goal is 30 years.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #55
Veteran Member
City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
Still a professional mariner here at 62. Hopefully retire in a few years, pick up my own boat and do some pleasure cruising then. Lots of places I've been to while working, want to go again and enjoy at my own pace.
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #56
City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Wifey BandB wrote: "One thing we do too is spend time with younger people. Yeah, even at our ages. 19 and 20 year olds can make you laugh and smile. They'll keep you young. When we're 80 we'll depend on 50 year olds and 30 year olds and my hubby will still be eyeing the 18 year olds, dirty old man. Not really. I was 21 when we met. Thank god that's the way he still sees me."

This rings true. When my folks were first aboard, their friends were old. Young people didn't buy boats to live aboard in the 1950's. They were in their 20's when they built/moved aboard the boat and headed south.

I remember three sets of friends dying. About every ten years of their life another group of contemporaries (cruising friends) either swallowed the anchor or passed away.

The ones gone were regularly replaced and that's what I suspect kept my folks young. Friends though were always significantly older. Retired folks...

Finally my folks were the older ones with young friends....
Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #57
City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
We are 57/58 and still pretty active so hoping for at least another 20 years!

tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #58
City: Toms River
Vessel Name: Adagio
Vessel Model: 32' Island Gypsy
[QUOTE=Forkliftt;372350]When I'm out on the water for a summer, I don't feel so old.

I Agree---Funny how that works!

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #59
City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Well, I don't know. I have just got here. Next month is my final official working month. However, I am already lined up to run forward until June 2016, oil crisis or not. In my line of work, I am still kicking some college boy butts. I need those 7 more months to buy my Fat Boy.
I want to retire with Z E R O debt. This one is going to be paid CASH!
My wife feels the same way and we probably knock on your hulls in USA next year, who knows?

Yet, I am not worried about pack in, I might as well stay in the boat. It is better than underground

...By the way, I'll be 60 in November
Now retired and cruising in calm waters
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #60
TF Site Team
City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
It is strange to see so many youngsters responding to this thread. I would not think that packing it in would even register on their radar yet. :-)
Guess not too many people were born on the water, as Janice and I were. When you are born on the water, and your first baby memories are water lapping against the hull, the changes of the tide, the boat gently rocking you to sleep, and the wind wailing and moaning in the rigging at times, then it is built into your DNA. In my opinion anyway. I was born in Pensacola, Florida, on a commercial fishing boat operated by my parents and my older brothers, and don't really remember touching dry land until the Law required that I go to school. I hated it.
So, different strokes for different folks. But I will pack it in when, and only when, I cannot even slowly crawl to do the things which need to be done. Until then, I will crawl if I have to. Even a bad day on the water is still better than a good day on land.

jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote