Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Bendit, I'm at the age (approaching 69) I hire people to do the "heavy" and technical/skilled maintenance.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
When they pry my cold dead hands from the helm. And even then, reluctantly.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sydney
I'm 63 retired for 2 years massive health issues close to dead 4 time in the last 15 years including a 415v electrocution that stuck me in rehab
So to me I have no plans when ""enough is enough""
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore Md
Vessel Name: Graceful
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
I'm 65 now and just bought another new to me boat so hopefully another 10 -15 yrs or who knows.
gonesailing13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
73 here and just getting going. Have no problems that limit my boating. We live aboard and have friends who are boating well into their mid 80's. When the time comes to give it up I hope I'll be smart enough to recognize it. As for now, we are prepping for our trip south from CT to FL. If you see Magic sound those Kahlenbergs and maybe I'll hear you.

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I'm staring down the barrels of being 75 but as long as I can hire the maintenance out, I'll stick with it. I mean let's face it....the really fun (stuff====>) is almost gone these days!

I said ALMOST!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #27
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I'm staring down the barrels of being 75 but as long as I can hire the maintenance out, I'll stick with it. I mean let's face it....the really fun (stuff====>) is almost gone these days!

I said ALMOST!
If'n the boat's a rockin' don't come knockin'!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendit View Post
I'm 64 and boating is still a joy, but the maintenance ain't....I can still do all the mechanical stuff, but need longer bars and bigger wrenches to compensate for reduced strength...
53 here, just changed the brake pads on my truck. I still had to use a 4' pipe to break the caliper bolts loose. Could just be uncooperative hardware, not you (yet).
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I was conceived, born and raised aboard. I think being aboard until the very end is just about perfect. That's one of the reasons why I do things for Seaweed... making her safe for the long term...

Daddy died aboard the boat he built and spent nearly 50 years aboard. He was a lucky man.

And compensating for aging body parts is a given. I'm not as strong as I was ten years ago and don't have any reason to suspect I'll be improved ten years hence. But I'll be here -- solo aboard my Seaweed.

With the Skipper -- all four pounds of her.

I don't want to live ashore. Ever. Seaweed isn't just my home -- she represents freedom to live my life as I see fit.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #30
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I suspect I'll pack it in when my mental age surpasses my shoe size...

Old 09-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #31
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I'm rapidly approaching 69 (the age, not the act!) and have the usual aches and pains that come with the age. Otherwise I'm in good health. BP is low, cholesterol good, borderline diabetic but controlling it with diet.

I hire the heavy lifting and mechanical stuff that requires someone getting into tight places but do a lot of it myself. At this age, "it", like a lot of things, takes longer than it used to, but that's part of the fun.

Like the old saying goes--it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!

I have one long boat trip left on my bucket list. When that trip is complete the boat will go up for sale and we'll be doing a lot of traveling on land.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #32
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My ninety-three-old father at the time wasn't confident to continue piloting the boat due to his declining eyesight.
I understand. Dealing with everything just slightly out of focus.
Result is i can't pick out anything small (think channel marker) in the water from a distance.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #33
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Basically satisfied if it all ended today---but another ten good years would be great!... JohnP
"If it suddenly ended tomorrow, I would somehow adjust to the fall.
Good times and riches and son of a bitches, I've seen more than I can recall..."
(Jimmy Buffett)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
When they pry my cold dead hands from the helm. And even then, reluctantly.
Great response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I was conceived, born and raised aboard. I think being aboard until the very end is just about perfect. That's one of the reasons why I do things for Seaweed... making her safe for the long term...

Daddy died aboard the boat he built and spent nearly 50 years aboard. He was a lucky man.

And compensating for aging body parts is a given. I'm not as strong as I was ten years ago and don't have any reason to suspect I'll be improved ten years hence. But I'll be here -- solo aboard my Seaweed.

With the Skipper -- all four pounds of her.

I don't want to live ashore. Ever. Seaweed isn't just my home -- she represents freedom to live my life as I see fit.
Janice, I've said it before and I'll continue to say it!
You are what great stories are made of!

As for me, I'll be 59 in October.
Between the military, law enforcement, and a variety of other things, I've beaten my body to hell and back There are days I feel like I'm 30, and others like I'm 300!

I was in charge of our motor unit at the Sheriff's Office, and used to ride all the time. I don't ride regularly any longer, for no other reason than I just don't have time.

My dad, God rest his soul, lived to be 93, and was as active as most of us here until three (3) days before his death. Lost him to a stroke I plan on following his footsteps as much as I can.

And when I feel like crap, I just look around. There's always someone worse off.

So unless it's a safety issue, I'll get off the water when they force (or carry) me off!

OD
Old 09-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #34
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We bought our current boat on my 65th birthday. Now almost a year later I had significant back surgery, which has slowed me down a bit. But, I plan to take plenty of time to heal, while I take it easy on the boat and hire younger backs for the heavy lifting. Then, we'll start our cruising plans again.

My dad was running strong into his very late 80's. I intend to do better, Lord willing.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #35
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Turned 65 in July. This may be the first year I'm unable change-out my 8D house batteries solo, ....we'll see. In order to keep the trawler-style cruising/boating/owning a boat thing alive, I think we'd need to make more of a commitment to it....living aboard or long distance cruising. Between a mountain of "stuff" and other urgencies like a diabetic cat, I see the intention needed for boating adventures are fading faster than our health. Could be a lot worse.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The only people that want to live to be 100 are now 99. When do i pack it in? Don't know, but probably when they take the keys away or shot by a jealous husband. Now, that's the way to go.
Unless the jealous husband is the 99 year old.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #37
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
When it's no longer enjoyable...
Old 09-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #38
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Between a mountain of "stuff" and other urgencies like a diabetic cat...
One of my favorite lines from comedian Tom Papa goes something like this:

'I have a diabetic cat. We have to give it shots of insulin in its neck two times a day; put pills on the end of a stick, shove it down its throat, fire them in there. It's biting and peeing on us. I wouldn't do this to keep my wife alive.

Do you know what a diabetic cat was called when I was a kid? A dead cat.'

Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Zara / Journey
Vessel Model: 1971 Grand Banks 36CL / 1980 Roughwater 41
I'm 66 and have purchased two boats and a boathouse in the last two years. The love of boats and the water will be there till I drop and God willing, I'll keep boating for a long time. I will admit that crawling out of bed after a day in the bilge is getting harder and harder but I'm not about to let that stop me.....slow me down some but not stop me.
OreWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #40
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Ditto- I love cats. I'm just a dog person. We had a stray female cat wander in and become a pet several years ago. I always admired her spunk up against anything. She came up missing and we found her, almost dead one morning beneath a little shed we have behind our house. I ran her to Dodge City veterinary, one of several locally- and spoke with Dr Smith. I told him I couldn't put a price on love- but I had $82 in my wallet . (All true) he thought she had feline lukemia (I had never heard of it). I called later that afternoon after no news and the doc got on the line. Yes. It was feline lukemia. "What do we need to do"?? Oh nothing. I forgot to call. She died about lunch.
You guessed it- $79 with creamation. Crazy

This is a tad personal here. I'm 56 and in good condition in most ways except arthritic knees which miraculously improve anytime I'm solo on the boat. Even on a sundeck at slip 16. Lucky me...

The other issue is a poor short and long term memory. It's been this way my whole life- and it is getting slightly worse. In business I used a Daytimer for commitments, contact management, information storage, etc- in a big way. I think that a good planner- along with the discipline required to make the the systems work- seemed to help me manage my commitments in a very thorough way. And in some ways, exceed the basic survival needs.
I mention this because my 76 year old mother has dimintia, probably Alzheimer's from what I understand- but never labeled. Her mother also died with Alzheimer's after my mom was able to finish her life in her own home. My dad takes care of my mom- he's like me (ok- I'm like him) and always active, "inventing" something new to make a job easier or more effective. Mom used stickie notes all around her to help "manage" information. Recipes. What I planted.

Back to me- I moved into an iPhone shortly after they came out. It just fit. And now- most of this lifetime of often useless information had been data entried and saved in the phone. NoteMaster is my favorite- as it was the first app to allow text and pictures.
So given the facts- sorry it's so many of them- what Patricia and I hope to do is accelerate any cruising, retirement plans we have and work towards making our best years right now- just in case 15 years from now I'm unable to safely operate and maintain the boat. Kind of sweet of her to be thinking that way.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️