Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
I like the term "motor boat".

nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Let's just keep calling our boats Trawlers. Folks not on the Forum won't know the difference. It could be our own little secret
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I don't see how you can define a trawler, at least in the recreational boating world, as anything more than a styling design. I find it impossible to define it any more than you can define the word "sportscar".

Tom-
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Interestingly... after spending decades of my life from birth on and around New England pleasure and commercial boating as well as working on boats in yards and in new manufacturer... my endeavors developed a substantial span where I was not entailed in nor anywhere near salt water boating at all – due to my construction business in mountain regions. Not being interested in small lake boating at all I became a “reformed ocean boater”... for decades. Then, when I decided to renter the salt water boating scene in latter 1990’s one of the most difficult items for me to wrap my brain around was that sooooo many styles of pleasure boats were being called “Trawlers”! To me, from my New England decades of growing up on and around Atlantic Ocean boating, a trawler was a fishing boat with outriggers and nets in the ocean for hauling in tons of fish (first hand vivid pictures of working trawlers remain in my mind’s eye). Gloucester Mass fishing trawlers and the like are what I grew up with and I was used to – pure and simple. Matter O’ Fact... calling pleasure boats “Trawlers” still twists my brain a bit.

Although I’ve become somewhat used to hearing it for pleasure boats; actual trawler definition:

trawl·er/ [traw-ler] noun
1. Any of various types of vessels used in fishing with a trawl net
2. A person who trawls

So... it seems... The term “Trawler” for pleasure boats is here to stay! And, therefore “Trawler Forum” is good as any name for a diverse pleasure boating forum. Heck, the newer generations into boating will be fine with pleasure boats being called “Trawlers”. Cause, they just were not exposed to what many of us on this forum were – In The Middle to Latter portion of LAST CENTURY - LOL. I recall my grand dad talking all about growing up on his family’s horse ranch... on the edge of NY City... in late 1800’s. Time moves on, and on and on!!!!! Word definitions morph to suit the needs and desires of “New Times”!

Happy Boating... errrr Trawlering! Aw heck... that word Trawler still don’t ring right in my mind for a pleasure boat! Such is life – lmao!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #26
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
All though the term " cabin cruiser" may be old hat to old salts, it is still the term that most 'civilians' are familiar with, or as someone has suggested "motor boat".
When I was young, I was not exposed to any boats at all, except for seeing them at a distance. As a young man, all I knew were small open motor boats with no cabins. Most people I knew back then called them run-abouts.
I have been sailing for about 14 years now and still have no real knowledge of power boats anly because I have not associated myself with them. Up until last year, when I finally decided to sell my sailboat and get a power boat I didn't know the names of the different styles of boats. What I now know to be trawlers, I used to use the expression "ya, know, the kind that look like New England style fishing boats" for lack of a better way to describe them. Even now, that I know what a 'trawler' looks like, I still use that old expression to describe them to the general public and have them visualize what I am talking about.
The term 'trawler' is like a technical term to non-boaters and they have no clue as to what you are talking about. Now that this forum has educated me, plus my research on yachtworld, I come to a realization that the term 'trawler' is mainly a description of style and not function. And, 90% of boats in that style are actually motoryachts. At least that is the way I see it. I love the style. I want a trawler for the economy but will settle for a motoryactch. Limited budget does not always allow people to get exactly what they want and fortunately, there are always good alternatives.
BTW, I have really enjoyed the response and so, keep those calls and cards coming.
Thanks

Tony B
Old 04-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by portager View Post
........ Yacht - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yacht lengths generally range from 8 metres (26 ft) up to dozens of metres ...A luxury craft smaller than 12 metres (39 ft) is more commonly called a cabin cruiser or simply "cruisers.".........
I have read varying definitions of the word "yacht" including the above and I think it is a word that has been used way too loosely. Thats just my personal opinion.

Some define a yacht simply as a boat with a galley, sleeping quarters and a stationary head. The word 'luxury' is very subjective and also exploited by manufacturers. My boat fits in all of the above categories for having "Yacht" status, except for the word "luxury" and again, this is a very nebulous term that can apply if I wanted it to. The reality is that when the common, everyday ordinary person hears the word yacht, they conjur up visions of what Donald Trump would own, not what I would own. So although I technically own a yacht, I personally would NEVER, EVER, EVER call it a yacht.
And Portager, thanks for the link.

Regards

Tony B
Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Haha Gonzo. Sportscar. The perfect analogy. Think of the Mustang. Most people thought of it as a sportscar but all it really was was a lowered and styled Ford Falcon. Same mechanicals as the Falcon .....brakes and all but it was considered a sportscar. Well I would submit that we have at least a barnload and a half of waterborne "Mustangs" here on Trawler Forum. Trawler is a concept not a real thing. If a boat owner thinks he has a trawler then he has a trawler. One of the best trawlers I know of is the Albin 25 but many (or more) would'nt consider it such because of it's small size and light displacement. There are more high speed "cruisers" here on the forum than full disp boats. And they would likely belly up to the bar and swear on a stack of beers that their "cruiser" is a trawler. There was a cruise story in PMM about a trip up the coast done w a 40 some foot Bayliner that was'nt a pilothouse and they called it "our trawler" all through the article. I think it has more to do w the OWNER, his thoughts and attitudes and what he thinks of himself and his style of boating than the boat itself. And there is unquestionably the element of the need for the concept of masculinity. A man's masculinity most often needs to be earned these days. 50 yrs ago it was handed to us from an automatic vending machine that needed no coins. Why are there so many big black PU trucks and Harleys now. A real trawler should have a look that says the owner is'nt afraid to get his hands dirty and that he is indeed a man. Hogwash of course but the attitudes and concepts are firmly in place. Trawlers are just heavy cruisers. But in the 50s and before there were very few heavy cruisers and now there are many. Perhaps the sheer numbers spawned the need for a new name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 125.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	10904  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
I don't see how you can define a trawler, at least in the recreational boating world, as anything more than a styling design. I find it impossible to define it any more than you can define the word "sportscar".

Tom-
When a sport like you drive it no matter what make or model it's a Sportscar. No that's not right what I meant to say was when Bess drives....
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #30
JD
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Haha Gonzo. Sportscar. The perfect analogy. Think of the Mustang. Most people thought of it as a sportscar but all it really was was a lowered and styled Ford Falcon. Same mechanicals as the Falcon .....brakes and all but it was considered a sportscar.
I'll bet Carrol Shelby would argue that point. Or at least his bank account may.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Well, at least Chapman has attempted to define "trawler" in the recreational vessel sense.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I'll bet Carrol Shelby would argue that point. Or at least his bank account may.
The Mustang was dreamed up by Lee Iacocca, or so he claims. His question to the Ford designers at the time was "What would happen if we put a sporty body on a Falcon chassis and drive train?" The result was the 1964-1/2 Mustang. As Eric says, the car consisted of a new body and interior design mounted on the 2nd generation Falcon platform. The only thing sporty about it was its appearance.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #33
Master and Commander

My older brother's first car was a used, green Ford Falcon (early sixties) which our father bought for him. (I played driving it a couple of times, moving the steering-column gear-shift lever, etcetera before I was eligible for a license.) The car wasn't too his liking/self-image so he soon bought himself a new, true sports car, an Austin Healy Sprite, and abused it by downshifting too soon/quickly. He ended up with a rusty 1940s Dodge pickup (you know, with the engine-starter button on the floor).
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #34
JD
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The Mustang was dreamed up by Lee Iacocca, or so he claims. His question to the Ford designers at the time was "What would happen if we put a sporty body on a Falcon chassis and drive train?" The result was the 1964-1/2 Mustang. As Eric says, the car consisted of a new body and interior design mounted on the 2nd generation Falcon platform. The only thing sporty about it was its appearance.
All true but Shelby made it into a real car.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #35
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I tell people we live on 58 ft boat. If they ask what kind, I tell them a trawler. If they still do not under I show them a picture. Their reply is a yatcht.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #36
Master and Commander

Phil, you have a yacht! Accept the fact.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #37
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
No modesty allowed........we all have yachts.

JD,
Shelby made the Mustang into a dragster ....not a real car and the Falcon was a real car. A good economy car. We thought they were cheap junk in the 60s but if not abused they went the distance and the original Falcon could get 30 mpg.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Eric - You are quite correct - In the eyes of non boaters we all in this forum own Yachts. Whereas, in the eyes of billionaires we have well used tenders... at best!

When wife and I show picts of our Tolly at parties or other occasions... the surprised response from most - - - OH, You Have a YACHT!

Well, we feel we have a nice boat.

Of course the last time we attended a billionaire party... NOT!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
No modesty allowed........we all have yachts.

You are correct.

I could never call it a yacht though. I call mine a boat, but as others have said, when people see photos they call it a yacht.

ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote