Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
When to Go South

So here we sit in Westport, CT watching the miserable weather and wondering when we will be able to start our cruise to Stuart, FL. Our "plan" for this year was to leave Labor Day weekend and take a slow pleasant cruise south. Then life got in the way and the plan was adjusted to Sunday 10/4. Then Joaquin got in the way so Sunday is a no go.

I'm hoping we can get underway on Thursday next week but who knows. I am not a fan of the ocean off the NJ coast at this time of year but we will make the trip when the seas settle down. If any TF folks are making the trip as well, reach out to us. It would be fun to have some contacts along the way. We make the following stops enroute to Norfolk:

Sandy Hook or Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Atlantic City
Chesapeake City
Solomons
Sandy Point
Norfolk

Howard

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Why wait until Thursday? I agree the weather is crappy between now and Monday with rain and 20-25 kt winds. But the Monday marine forecast is showing 10-15 kts in LI Sound and NY Harbor with seas 2-4'. The forecast further south is a little tougher but about as good as it gets in October- wind 10-15 kts. and seas 4-6' for Tuesday. Or maybe go overnight Tuesday night from Sandy Hook to Cape May to benefit from night time winds and seas along the NJ coast.

By Monday Joaquin's path will be well known and will probably be hundreds of miles to the east of you. If you wait it could be worse.

My rule of thumb is to be in the Chesapeake by the 1st of October. You are already a week late.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Guru

Giving your suggestion consideration. Appreciate the input.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Stay put. The storm is headed your way and you don't want to be caught out in it. I rode out Camile, Andrew and Katrina tied to docks. Our ship survived, the docks didn't. A tug tied opposite us in Gulfport was found a mile inland during Camile. We got lucky with Andrew and Katrina as we were up in Jupiter. Still it was rough. Just don't be foolish - stock up on fuel containers, canned food, LP and cash. Immediately after those storms there wasn't any electricity to power pumps let alone atm's.
Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Why wait until Thursday? I agree the weather is crappy between now and Monday with rain and 20-25 kt winds. But the Monday marine forecast is showing 10-15 kts in LI Sound and NY Harbor with seas 2-4'. The forecast further south is a little tougher but about as good as it gets in October- wind 10-15 kts. and seas 4-6' for Tuesday. Or maybe go overnight Tuesday night from Sandy Hook to Cape May to benefit from night time winds and seas along the NJ coast.
What foolishness!

Quote:
My rule of thumb is to be in the Chesapeake by the 1st of October. You are already a week late.David
Better a week late, than not at all.
Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Guru

After looking at NOAA and reading Chris Parker's reports, my current plan is to depart Westport on Wednesday. We will keep a weather eye out until then and make adjustments as needed. Thanks to all for your input.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Agree with Capt. Freddie. Never hold yourself to a schedule, we're pleasure boaters, right? Good weather will show up. You can take that trip in small bites and visit or anchor out in many nice spots along the way. We once left Westport, MA right at this time and got to Ft Lauderdale 9 weeks later, a great cruise, including a side trip up the Hudson and back.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Wait it out, Stormy weather is not the norm. There will be a quiet period again soon!

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
As George mentions taking your time is the key.

But as of now Tueday looks good for traveling in LIS. But that could change between now and then
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	45134  
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
Guru

Thanks Capt. Bill. We are shooting for Wednesday. Hope it will be even calmer.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
FF
Guru

The fall in New England is grand.

The key to heading south is weather you have 24/7 central heat on board.

The later you go the smaller the gaggle , and remember if you need bridge openings you will wait for that 26 fter , if the bridge tender can see him a mile away.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #12

City: Bohemia
Just keep in mind, the ocean takes a few days to lie down. There are always groups the do the ICW south starting in Annapolis, MD on Columbus Day.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #13

City: Groton
Vessel Name: Nokandolah
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
We plan to leave Groton on Wed. Seas should be down. Maybe we will cross paths. Be safe.
nokandolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #14
Guru

Nokandolah, we will look for you. Have a safe trip. We are leaving on Wednesday as well. We are heading to Stuart, FL. What's your destination?

Howard
Old 10-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #15

City: Groton
Vessel Name: Nokandolah
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
We don't have a destination. We are just going south until we find a place we like. We have a GB 42. Hope to run into you.
nokandolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #16
Guru

We finally left today, hooray! The Long Island Sound was glass smooth at 6:30am. We caught the tide going in the right direction and picked up a fair tide in the East River too. We blasted through Hell Gate at 15 mph and down the river at the same speed. I've never achieved that speed before--some current that was. We planned for Sandy Hook or Atlantic Highlands but we were so early we decided to give the ocean a go down the coast of New Jersey. We are now anchored in Barnegat Light after covering 125 statute miles in 11 hours.

We anchored in front of KK 42 who shall remain nameless. We left him plenty of room. He watched us drop the hook, let out the chain--50 feet in 11 feet of water to be courteous. Attached the chain hook, did my backdown thing then shut down the engines. Then my wife says to me, the guy on the KK is calling to you. He tells me I'm over his anchor. He said he has 120 feet of line out. Really, in 11 feet of water? Why the heck did he wait until I was all setup? And, this anchorage is dead calm and protected on all sides.

I didn't want to end a perfect day with an argument so I politely moved. Oh, well, I guess he was jealous of my Supreme.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
We finally left today, hooray! The Long Island Sound was glass smooth at 6:30am. We caught the tide going in the right direction and picked up a fair tide in the East River too. We blasted through Hell Gate at 15 mph and down the river at the same speed. I've never achieved that speed before--some current that was. We planned for Sandy Hook or Atlantic Highlands but we were so early we decided to give the ocean a go down the coast of New Jersey. We are now anchored in Barnegat Light after covering 125 statute miles in 11 hours.

We anchored in front of KK 42 who shall remain nameless. We left him plenty of room. He watched us drop the hook, let out the chain--50 feet in 11 feet of water to be courteous. Attached the chain hook, did my backdown thing then shut down the engines. Then my wife says to me, the guy on the KK is calling to you. He tells me I'm over his anchor. He said he has 120 feet of line out. Really, in 11 feet of water? Why the heck did he wait until I was all setup? And, this anchorage is dead calm and protected on all sides.

I didn't want to end a perfect day with an argument so I politely moved. Oh, well, I guess he was jealous of my Supreme.
Wow, he really sat there and watched you go through all that then decided to tell you you might be over his anchor!? What a jerk.

Luckily those types of folks are rare I find when cruising.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #18
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
that's why I always put out an anchor float that many don't seem to like,

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote