When Does a Boat Become a Yacht?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclarke246

Vessel Name
Lady Di
Vessel Make
2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I apologize if this question has already been tackled.

One explanation I've heard is that a yacht must have at least 1 oriental rug aboard!

I once heard that the term "Yacht" is best used to describe your boat to people who have never seen it, and are never likely to . . . . . :socool:

Larry
M/V Boomarang

A boat becomes a yacht when it is large enough that the owner hires a licensed captain to manage the boat. That means not just to drive it, but to hire additional crew, make the decisions on the daily operation, etc.

Many people refer to my boat as a yacht. To us, it's just a boat.

A yacht is where someone else does the work.

img_221101_0_6d742de73fbec03054ef0b87af045870.jpg

Last edited:
It's a boat when you want to buy it and a yacht when you want to sell it.

The U.S. Coast Guard, a more authoritative source, defines a yacht as a vessel over 26 feet in length.

When you put more money in it, then it's worth?

When its not the owner saying it. :)

When you ask your wife, "honey, think we should get a bigger boat?" The response is something like "isn't your Yacht big enough?"

or

When you ask your boss for a raise and he responds. "What, you need a bigger Yacht or something?" and walks away laughing.

Then you have a yacht.

A yacht is what your soon to be ex-wife's divorce lawyer calls your boat during the proceedings.

To me they are all boats. I would just feel too pretentious to start talking about my yacht.

Not a yacht? Definitely it was when built for its original owner. Now used to collect mud and water samples (shown here, this week in Carquinez Strait), so technically a research vessel now (leastwise that's how it described itself communicating with the Suisun railroad bridge.)

img_221179_0_33c1daefaff445b84150a00d46d6c05d.jpg

Last edited:
Was told I have a yacht because it has an interior door.

img_221193_0_e99f74d7e841386e1f8315af1b01e487.jpg

Mark, your boat is a yacht, hell your dinghy is a yacht to me.

When you don't have to take the port a potty to shore and have a holding tank you got yourself a yacht!
:lol:
HOLLYWOOD

A Thcay can be any size you see fit, or, that might fit you!

When people ask what we're doing for holiday weekends... I often answer... we're going to play with our Thcay!! Usually they blink a couple times and turn to a different subject, or simply ask WTF is your Thacay?? To which I answer; currently it's a 34' Tolly TC!

For non boaters... the "Tolly" answer usually confuses them as much or more than the word "Thcay"

Last edited:
When the saw horses are taken off for good .

Some places (England) a yacht is sail only, wouldn't call a power boat a yacht regardless of size.

Yep, we are much the same, a yacht is a sailing boat, and those who sail in her are known as 'yachties'.

A motor yacht is something like this

Attachments

• wooden boats12 030.jpg
    wooden boats12 030.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 129
When the owner doesn’t own his own tools!!!

When the hole in the water is at least neck deep!

You will definitely know if your boat is a yacht when you start paying yacht prices for equipment and service.:banghead:

To me "yacht" has a snobbish connotation and is but a state of mind of the owner. I have a boat thankfully!

Back
Top Bottom