Old 06-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #21
Guru

City: gulf coast
Contrary to some responses I am not adverse to new technology. OTOH I am not about to buy the latest anchor du jour either.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
It seems odd to complain about too much new technology in anchoring in a high-tech forum that didn't exist more than a handful of years ago. It's like saying that you don't need to post your thoughts here because you could have just used CompuServe's BBS instead at 2400 baud - it was just as good.

Anchor technology has leaped in the last 10 years. If you don't want to make the leap, that's fine. I just hope you anchor behind me than in front of me...
Jeffrey,
Why do you say this forum is high tech??
What on earth is high tech about it?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Lots of Bruce and CQR anchors on the dock where I am. They must be working well for them.

In any endeavor, the quality of the tool (or gun, club, car, sail, camera, etc...) is usually secondary to the persons ability to use it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: gulf coast
Marketing claims about anchoring technology surely have leaped in the last ten years. Holding ability in the wide variety of conditions OTOH I'm not so sure of.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #25
Guru

HOLLYWOOD,
A Delta? Really?
With all the better anchors availible why not join the modern world ....

Yup I've heard it too. Lots of people think you've got fuzzy stuff in your armpits if you don't get or do the new cool things.

When you ask the question "who's the smartest" the answer is elusive but the past is proven. Except for the cost of gas and the smaller parking spaces 1960ish cars work just fine today. But I like my full sized sedan w over 30mpg and remember the little buzz boxes of the past.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
HOLLYWOOD,
A Delta? Really?
Yup, really.
Buddy has had a Delta Fastset on his 1990, 42 Canoe Cove forever. Spends 4 months on the hook, on BC's central and north coast every year. Why change for the sake of change?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #27
Guru

Yup,
This is the side of anchoring that's been washed over on this forum buy the "new generation" anchor guys. Very significantly by Marin Faure (and perhaps the Rocna guy Smith) but countless others. Never stopped to ask how good is good enough.
Holding power is fine to super fine now. Anchor choices should be based on setting, veering, all bottom capability, user friendliness and other things .... IMO.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
A few months ago I replaced my still beloved Bruce with a Vulcan. So far the "staying stuck in one spot" plotter data comparos I have done show the Vulcan wins hand down. But in fairness, I went up 10 KG in weight.

I agree with Jeff, more people sharing anchoring findings with others complete with BS calls along the way should make for a better informed boating populace. However, not all need an anchor that holds on "short" scope in dark deep and windy out of the way places.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Hampton
Vessel Name: Saltwater Taffy
Vessel Model: Silverton 43
When did anchoring become so complicated

As some have said, anchoring becomes more complicated as your investment increases and the size of your vessel gets larger. I will also add as your cruising horizons get larger and the anchoring circumstances change with many different bottoms and depths you may find that you need to change your anchor or anchoring habits. However, you may also find that your old anchor is fine or, conversely, that you need to invest in something different. Knowledge and experience is the key. I have anchored from Maine to Florida and in many Caribbean islands and you learn to adapt to each situation using your prior experience to guide you. The more you anchor the better you get at it.

I have found that in a crowded anchorage when one boat uses excessive scope and then the wind or current changes it messes up the entire anchorage. While, for the normal conditions (not storm or gale force) you need to have a safe amount of scope, an amount over 5 to 1 generally makes a mess during the middle of the wind or current change that can upset the entire anchorage. Often, when entering an anchorage and most boats are using all chain and the chain is hanging straight down, you are forced to assume that the nearest boats to where you intend to drop your hook are set at a normal scope and then you plan accordingly. When it turns out a particular boat has anchored using excessive scope then a problem can occur. My practice has been to ask the boats around me where their anchor was located, but sometimes the owner is away and that's not possible or the problem can originate from a boat anchored a long way off from your boat.

For the most part, anchoring is a pleasant part of cruising and the problems are few and far between. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Lots of Bruce and CQR anchors on the dock where I am. They must be working well for them.

In any endeavor, the quality of the tool (or gun, club, car, sail, camera, etc...) is usually secondary to the persons ability to use it.
Exacto Rama!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #31
Guru

Paul M,
Well put and welcome to the forum.
Hope to hear lots more good and well ballanced posts from you in the future.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #32

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Talking

*Yawn*... I just want to know what Jeffrey's boat avatar is...

(Still plowing with an old Delta. Works for me...)
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Jeffrey,
Why do you say this forum is high tech??
What on earth is high tech about it?
You mean other than it connects people from around the world in seconds for free?

Other than those same people can share pictures, video and links to other informational web sites around the world 24/7?

And you can do all this from pretty much anywhere in the world, on multiple devisees including your phone in your underwear or on the toilet?

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
...including your phone in your underwear or on the toilet?
Careful there Billy, 20% of all smart phones make it into the terlet.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've used the claw (Bruce copy) and Danforth. Both always worked without failure (always set on the initial attempt without subsequent failure, and perhaps the San Francisco estuarian bottom is very kind), but prefer the claw since there are no moving parts to pinch the hand and it brings up less mud.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #36
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466808274.144446.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	53479

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
That should bring Peggy out.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #38

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Twilight1
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
For the most part, anchoring is a pleasant part of cruising and the problems are few and far between. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
Yes, I get an endorphin rush when I shut the engine off, secure in the stillness. Either that or I was some worried, but Miller time, definitely.
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

You put your finger right on it there Dave. Which is why anchoring threads are always so popular, as everyone has a story to tell. But yes, When the Delta came out it basically made all the previous CQR type plough anchors obsolete, and similarly the newer generation anchors, like the one you are about to receive, have done the same in a way to most others.

But...and it is a big BUT...the fact is, most folk, if not travelling long distances, which is most of us, are cautious enough to always consider wind, tide, currents and depth, and anchor is 'safe' places, so 99% of the time, the anchor is just acting as the thing that drags the rode out of the locker, and little more. So of course they don't fail, and their owner is happy. From my personal experience, I would never use a CQR type anchor again, but the majority of boats in our marina even now, are still dropping them, laying back, and having a good night's sleep.

So, for many, if not most, it doesn't matter...until one day maybe it does...which raises the point then...why bother to look into anchor alternatives..?

Nomad Willy, Eric answered that well when he said...

"Holding power is fine to super fine now. Anchor choices should be based on setting, veering, all bottom capability, user friendliness and other things ..."

As an aside, I see a thread there announcing a North American distributer for Sarca...haven't looked at it yet, but if so, that's great news for your region.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #40
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
It only seems complex because some boaters are becoming better educated on the subject, and now give it more attention. Anchorages are more crowded than before, so one boat can affect others more. There have been advances in anchor design, prompting discussion. A failed set can put your boat and others in peril, it makes sense to anchor as well as you can.
Each anchoring is a single event, with many variables, wind, current, bottom, scope,anchor type, etc, it is hard to analyse what leads to successful or failed sets, but the result of a failed set while you are asleep should encourage any thinking boater to to get it as right as it can be.
Thus the dhays thread, an experienced sail boater, seeking advice about anchoring technique with a "new" boat and a "new" anchor.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote