View Poll Results: Here are some of the things I like doing in places I visit while cruising
I enjoy just walking around the town 33 80.49%
I like sampling restaurants and local food 33 80.49%
I like visiting local museums 18 43.90%
I enjoy seeing historic sites in the area. 26 63.41%
I like seeing local, art and crafts. 19 46.34%
I like going to any local events or entertainment while I'm there 15 36.59%
I like to quietly fish in different areas. 6 14.63%
I enjoy talking to other boaters anchored or at the marina 21 51.22%
I enjoy pulling the dinghy to shore and exploring in woods and other areas with nature 16 39.02%
I like to just sit on the boat and enjoy nature 22 53.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Laundry

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #22

City: Portage
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Sample the local PIZZA.

New York City still has the #1 best , but we always hope for an edible runner up.

So far there is NO pizza in Florida that tops what can be bought frozen in a box..
I used to lived in NYC and loved the pizza there, and generally agree with your assessment. However, if you are ever in Bradenton, check out Erbelli's. You will change your opinion. Also, if you ever venture to Gainesville, find Satchel's Pizza. It is also better than most NYC products.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
anchors, pizza...they are all the same and just as good as one another...I know because I read it right here on TF....the experts of the world are either here or somewhere's in northwest Washington state I have been told.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #24
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We keep to the wild areas, photographing and hiking beaches, forests, creeks, and ridge lines. We tend to make short jumps, then stay a few days when a location holds our interest.

The PO installed an extra 40 gallon fuel tank bringing us up to 140 gallons, so we can easily go for a three week holiday (still have a job for a few more years) without needing to refuel.

There's more than a lifetimes worth of exploration on BC's north coast!
Old 02-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Murray that's all you've got is wild areas.

Pizza is not health food. We eat pizza two or three times a year max.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Well, to be fair, there has been a lot of logging in the past in some areas but it was left to reseed naturally. Most has greened up nicely with a mix of species (as opposed to monocultures when replanted manually) so for the untrained eye it looks completely natural. All in all though, it's still pretty wild
Old 02-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #27

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

Pizza is not health food. We eat pizza two or three times a year max.
I'm 65 years old. Too late to be concerned about healthy eating. Waste of good eats to be had. Besides, I haven't been ill in 5 years, am not even close to overweight, cholesterol levels good, and have never taken any drugs other than the occasional aspririn. So, for me, bring on the red meat, pizzas, and beer. So what if I die a couple of years eaflier than all those healthy folks, the salad eaters, although I do like a Greek salad with lots of feta cheese.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #28
Guru

City: West Coast
We like to find unexpected surprises so we don't read the guide books until we have had a chance to explore on our own. That made finding the art (on Friday Island, as I recall) which we came upon entirely by accident during a hike in which we thought we were getting further from civilization, yet the path continued -- that was Friday island. And up some river (a major one) in the dinghy in Puerto Vallarta we came upon a restaurant (Fajita Republic, I now know it is famous) that we accessed from a very rickety dock, as if straight out of pirates of the Caribbean, complete with alligators (or crocks, I forget which). In Barbados, we took a local bus to the middle of nowhere and found a monkey preserve, which was amazing.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
We like to find unexpected surprises so we don't read the guide books until we have had a chance to explore on our own. That made finding the art (on Friday Island, as I recall) which we came upon entirely by accident during a hike in which we thought we were getting further from civilization, yet the path continued -- that was Friday island. And up some river (a major one) in the dinghy in Puerto Vallarta we came upon a restaurant (Fajita Republic, I now know it is famous) that we accessed from a very rickety dock, as if straight out of pirates of the Caribbean, complete with alligators (or crocks, I forget which). In Barbados, we took a local bus to the middle of nowhere and found a monkey preserve, which was amazing.
Love your style. We don't use the cruising guide books as our primary sources for things to do. We go online to the locality's travel or visitor site, to Travel Advisor, and to other information available about where we're headed. Sometimes it might be the 25th item on the list but there will be something mentioning the art as you mentioned. We do similar or just do a google maps for restaurants. We've found the cruising guides are an excellent cruising tool, but they aren't as good at telling you what is at a locale as other available tools.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Lot's of nice places to eat, shop, and visit historical spots in Petaluma (one among others) adjacent to the San Francisco estuary.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #31
Guru

I do read the guide books and spend some time deciding which anchorage or marina we will visit. Without this research we would have missed the Oyster Fest in Urbana, VA, (second pic) the aviation museum in Hampton or the Tides Inn in Irvington (first pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1153.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	49077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	49078  

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote