Old 06-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: Whats your thoughts on this................

Thats her the Apache II She was built in 74 by an Apache indian.
She was built as a Power Troller for Salmon in the PNW.
Moved to alaska in the early 80's and fished as a shrimp pot boat for 20 years.
Put her back into service for a Commercial shrimp opener this year. (See the thread on putting your boat to work)

She was old and getting tired but her heart was still strong. I have re built her. She is a fine lady again. She takes me all over the Prince William Sound and home again with nary a miss.
She may not be fancy but she is paid for and she is all mine or is it vice versa.
Sometimes I wonder

They say it is not the vessel it is the voyage. I tend to think it is the other way around,

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Congrats Rocky!!!!!! Keep us posted on her progress!!!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #23

With no zincs for several years, I wonder how the Thru-hulls and Sea Valves looked??* Did they need replacing as well?
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #24

Hi Steve,

Thru-hulls and sea valves all checked out fine, didn't have to replace a one of 'em. Everyone at the boatyard and a few boaters that came over from the dock felt like we just had a "good" spot in the marina or just got lucky. Bottom job turned out great, although we walked out of the boatyard a few grand lighter in the wallet. I'll post some pics of the new bottom. Launched her back in the water this past Friday, fueled her up and haven't stopped workin on her since we got back to the slip....LOL
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #25

Everyone....I feel like some goofy grandparent showing off pics of the new grandkid....so bear with me, I'm just really proud at how well she's looking so far. Took a close up of that same blistered area with new paint and zincs, we'll see how it goes.* By the way, do all CHBs have that fish decoration under the swim platform?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0436.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	2242   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0438.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2243   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0439.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	2244   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0441.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	2245  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Whats your thoughts on this................

Rocky:

It's a real pleasure to share in your enthusiasm for the new boat. It's looking great!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 28th of June 2010 09:13:22 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #27

Well thank you. A definite work in progress, but we're sure having fun. Thanks for lookin and sharing with me.

Pattik
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #28
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

The fish looks pretty cool.
I would think it is aftermarket. Never seen the like before

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #29

Skipperdude,

I'd have thought for sure it was a very Taiwanezze thing to add, just looks like something they'd do, but it may be aftermarket too. We'd have never really even noticed this, had it not been out of the water for the bottom job.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Your bottom looks so much better than mine!* We had a few gelcoat blisters but nothing serious.* *I'm going to haul out after hurricane season and have my bottom done at that time.* I'll post pics!
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #31

Its pretty amazing what a coat of bottom paint can do for the bottom of one's boat. You don't see it after its in the water, but it made us feel good to see it all sanded smooth, painted and the propeller cleaned, OH...and the new zincs.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:41 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

Your bottom looks so much better than mine!* We had a few gelcoat blisters but nothing serious.* *I'm going to haul out after hurricane season and have my bottom done at that time.* I'll post pics!
I trust that will be the boat's bottom, Egregious...otherwise might not be a pretty sight..ha ha....joking....on the other hand, Rocky/Patti's bottom does look marvelous I must say....and I mean that in the nicest possible way.
By the way Patti, I saw somewhere else on another thread your mention of learning to back in, and how difficult it is in a single screw boat.* Well hell yes, it is, and why bother.* Boats like ours are much easier to dock just cruising in forewards in idle with a quick switch to reverse when 2/3 the way in and lined up.* Especially good if you can dock to the starboard side, as the pilot door is right there to lean out and pick up a line while crew does same at the stern, and the screw turns clockwise in reverse (well on mine it does anyway), which means the prop-walk pulls you in to the berth.* Why make life hard trying to back in with limited slow manouevrability just to keep up with the twin screw Joneses?
Leaving the berth rearwards is dead easy.* Chug out backwards in idle, when well clear, and before getting too near the boats opposite, just hard over on the wheel, quick burst of revs in forward gear, using the rearward momentum and the inertia of the boat's weight to give the prop something to push against, this shifts the stern almost totally sideways, then maybe one more slow back - same again, and you're off......

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #33
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Peter is dead on right! That is exactly how I make it look so easy every where we go. Plus you have the added benefit of beautiful water views off your stern when tied to terra firma
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #34

Gentlemen,

I completely agree. However, our permanent slip has the dock on the wrong side if put in nose first. Backing in to keep up with any Joneses was never our thought. We'd love to swap slips with someone that would put our door right with the dock, but so far, no takers.

As to good looking bottoms, I'm so out-of-it, I didn't even notice that possible pun and I don't think Egregious did either, just you other two....LOL.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

It's not hard to back a single screw into a slip, just a skill. The more you do it the better you get at it. If you have a bow thruster, even better.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: -
Whats your thoughts on this................

For anyone who thinks backing a single engine boat without a bow thruster is an almost impossible task, take a look at this short video and you'll see how incorrect this assumption is. This guy does it with just one quick correction the whole way in.* An interesting thing is where the skipper is driving*the boat from, on the starboard side near the stern.*

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 2nd of July 2010 04:40:51 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #37
Guru

That is some skilled skip!
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:01 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Yes, quite impressive, for a contest...but if anyone was inclined to zoom into their slip in reverse at that speed with my boat sharing the other side, I'd be wanting that person moved on. He left no room for error, and in real life we also have wind and current to contend with as well. Yes, it can be done, but the stress of doing it short-handed in anything other than perfect conditions, and hopefully some obliging fellow berth occupant standing by ready to help take lines from the dock, makes it much less attractive as an option.
I have already had a davit broken and my gunwhale gouged by 2 different individuals attempting reverse docking. For a time I had a berth where we docked to port, and yes it was less ideal, but still less tension creating than trying to reverse in. We grabbed and bought a starboard dock berth asap, of course.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -

On Prince Edward Island last year we watched many lobsterboatmen backing their 44' single-engine, no-thruster boats into slips and into gaps between rafted boats in the harbor. They didn't do it nearly as fast as the fellows in the docking contest, but they did it quite smartly and all in one motion with one or two "corrections" on the way in. Nary a bump, scrape, bang, or crunch during any of them.

As I have observed and been told by Carey, who docks his 36' lobsterboat as well as any skipper I've observed, while excessive speed can get you into trouble, so can the lack of speed. Boaters who timidly ease into a slip, afraid to use power, often become victims of current or wind and end up doing more damage, or at least getting pinned in awkward positions, than if they kept some speed on so the rudder remained effective.

I used to timidly ease our boat in with almost no forward speed at all, but after getting shoved to where we didn't want to be a few times by wind and/or current, I now keep sufficient speed on all the way in to ensure rapid boat response. However, I have a twin so I have the ability to walk the stern sideways with the props either direction I want, and with four-bladed props, the stern walks very rapidly.

But lack of speed while docking can mess a boater up just as much as too much speed. All the best boat handlers I know use speed as an aid while docking. I don't know anyone who I consider an excellent skipper who comes in dead slow with no thrust.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #40

Just had my boat out of the water (3 years since the last time) and saw similiar burning in a small area around my transom zincs.* After removing the old zincs I found the resistance through the mounting bolts was too high - after cleaning the mounting bolts with a brass wire wheel in a hand drill the resistance came down to a normal reading.* I'm also using bottom paint with the highest allowable copper content, which the guys in the marine yard said can be a contributing factor - they see this type of 'burn' all the time with that type of bottom paint.
Mike Cullin
Everett, WA

mikec is offline   Reply With Quote