what's your take on PFD's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was looking at the Revere inflatables at the Miami boat show a couple of months ago. They looked very well made to me. Mustang has been around a long time and has a good reputation. I don't think you could go wrong on either.

We wear PFD's when ever we are underway. My passagers are also required to wear a PFD while underway. Period, no argument.

We did buy two automatic mustang type PFDs last month at our local sporting good store spring sale for $69 each. They had 207 of then and I bought number 206 and 207. I thought it was a good deal.

We wear PFD's when ever we are underway. My passagers are also required to wear a PFD while underway. Period, no argument.

We did buy two automatic mustang type PFDs last month at our local sporting good store spring sale for $69 each. They had 207 of then and I bought number 206 and 207. I thought it was a good deal.

That sounds like a fantastic deal

During the annual Chicago-to-Mackinac race on Lake Michigan a couple of years back, the boat "wingnuts" capsized and stayed inverted. Two crew members drowned as they were caught down below and unable to egress. In the Safety at Sea seminar I attended, the statement was made that the autoinflation feature of their vests made egress much more difficult, and the speaker made a case for the manual inflation variety. You pays your money, and you takes your chances... My choice is manual inflation. Mine also has a pocket for a whistle, a chemlite, and a Boye Sheepsfoot knife.

But I also crew on a 44' sloop for local races occasionally, and that influences my thinking.

Last edited:
.... the statement was made that the autoinflation feature of their vests made egress much more difficult, and the speaker made a case for the manual inflation variety. My choice is manual inflation.
I agree except for the eventuality of hitting your head should you fall overboard. Which is most likely to happen? Finding your boat upside down with you in it, or knocking yourself out in a rough sea? :confused:

Then there's the situation where you're knocked unconscious and are unable to manually inflate your vest and you drown.

I feel I'm more likely to fall than capsize

It's been said that one should never wear a PFD when inside a cabin on a boat because if it floods (or capsizes) you will float to the top and have difficulty exiting through a lower opening.

You would be OK with a manual inflating PFD because it wouldn't inflate until you pulled the cord.

Part of my reasoning for buying the manual inflating models was cost of course, but part of it was talking to a friend who had been through the experience of having his automatic inflatable inflate from spray, not immersion. They now have a different type that isn't affected by rain or spray, but this is again, a higher price range.

Both types of auto inflate PFDs seem to require periodic testing and of course, a new actuator and cylinder.

As I posted above, my boating is typically in protected waters in fair weather so my risks are different from many other boaters. I picked what I felt would work best for me and my wife.

I agree except for the eventuality of hitting your head should you fall overboard. Which is most likely to happen? Finding your boat upside down with you in it, or knocking yourself out in a rough sea? :confused:

As I implied, it's an individual decision. I think I'm more likely to get hurt if my PFD autoinflates from spray while I'm racing, than have the autoinflate save me if I go over. But that's me, and thats why both kinds are for sale. :thumb:

As I implied, it's an individual decision. I think I'm more likely to get hurt if my PFD autoinflates from spray while I'm racing, than have the autoinflate save me if I go over.

That's the great thing about the Mustang auto/manual inflate vests. They are activated by pressure, not moisture. So you can wear them in the rain and they won't auto-inflate. The sensor has to go a foot or two below the water to trigger the autoinflate.

I have a pair of Mustang/West Marine auto inflators, the ones with the 5 year charge are a bargain after you add in one and a half recharge kits over the two year model. I don't let novice kayakers use them, it cost too much to recharge and freight to Alaska is HazMat rate. They are often forgotten until the middle of a hike when you realize you still have it on. I think you have to have several types, for the activity you are involved in. Kayaking there is little chance you will be knocked out, so manual makes sense, and prevents replacing the charge when you slip up. Auto inflate makes the most sense for being underway and not planning on being in close contact with the water, more chance of being injured as well. Novice passengers and the young should have fixed flotation, small ones should have a correct sized jacket with a crotch strap so they don't slip out the bottom if they go over. I carry three different types, wish I had four :) Grandkid size too...

here ya go. I looked and they are not on sale any more:mad:

Bob's Sporting Goods

Longview is where I grew up and Bob's sporting good was one of my favorite stores. It use to be called Bob's Surplus.

So what where you doing in Longview?

Most of the cheaper prettier pleasure vest are automatic, and only a few in the offshore which are expensive and ugly.:D

Last year we tested out manual inflators in the water. It was well worth the effort to what to expect. We used the blow-up tube.

Last edited:
Longview is where I grew up and Bob's sporting good was one of my favorite stores. It use to be called Bob's Surplus.

So what where you doing in Longview?

Most of the cheaper prettier pleasure vest are automatic, and only a few in the offshore which are expensive and ugly.:D

We are liking the lower Columbia River and the chance to see the inside passage.

Does anyone know the self inflators that trigger by water pressure rather than water?

I guess they make them, right?

Defender is having a sale on the Mustang hydrostatic self inflators for $216. a piece.

Just ordered 2!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom