Old 04-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

While Mustang may make flotation devices for military use I have never heard that the civilian boater ones we have are also used by the military. I would think the military would have requirements that resulted in a considerably different device.

Very true.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #22

City: Paynters Bay
Vessel Name: Therapi-Too
Vessel Model: 1987 Chris-Craft 381
Marin: Mil specs notwithstanding, Mustang have devices which meet and exceed the standards set for the use of the devices named. You are very close to the US mfg site (1215 Old Fairhaven Parkway, Suite C Bellingham. A visit would be a real learning experience for you, and perhaps your Sqn should you be a member. Regardless, the inflatable is a great device and like any suit you must try it on to find a fit for you. When you make the purchase ensure you get at least three cylandars, One to try out the device, and two for reserve should you really need it. Bill.

Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Marin: Mil specs notwithstanding, Mustang have devices which meet and exceed the standards set for the use of the devices named. You are very close to the US mfg site (1215 Old Fairhaven Parkway, Suite C Bellingham. A visit would be a real learning experience for you, and perhaps your Sqn should you be a member. Regardless, the inflatable is a great device and like any suit you must try it on to find a fit for you. When you make the purchase ensure you get at least three cylandars, One to try out the device, and two for reserve should you really need it. Bill.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Marin: You are very close to the US mfg site (1215 Old Fairhaven Parkway, Suite C Bellingham..
For the sake of accuracy, our boat is very close to the Mustang site. We, on the other hand, do not live in Bellingham.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #25
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Initially, we got 2 of the manually inflated vests, probably from West M. We made it a point to put them on when the motors started. After some thought, and giving some consideration to our ages, we switched to the auto inflaters; Mustang I believe. Until last year, we were the only ones in the marina wearing PFD's. Now, I think, there is at least one other crew using them.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
We have a pair of auto inflator Sospenders PFD's.... We always wear them underway.
Ours have the sailing harness in them. We bought them awhile back when we had a sailboat.. And I ended up overboard on a moonless night in heavy seas... long story...
And I was very happy when I heard the "whoosh" of it inflating. Happy sound!

Won't go on deck without one on!
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #27

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
We have a pair of auto inflator Sospenders PFD's.... We always wear them underway.
Ours have the sailing harness in them. We bought them awhile back when we had a sailboat.. And I ended up overboard on a moonless night in heavy seas... long story...
And I was very happy when I heard the "whoosh" of it inflating. Happy sound!

Won't go on deck without one on!
We had a sailing friend who fell overboard returning home at night to his mooring .... not even a half mile from his berth.... no life jacket.... he was found the next day washed up on the shore....dead.
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #28

City: Benicia CA
Also, inspect your auto inflatables everytime you put them on!

When we first bought ours, we did that. Of course, as time went on, we stupidly got complacent and pretty much stopped doing it. Well, at any rate, a couple of weeks ago, the wife noticed that on hers, the red tab was showing, meaning that it was no longer charged. It turned out that it was just a loose cartridge, but the fact is that it was useless at that point and she might as well have not been wearing it. How long had it been like that is anybody's guess.

Complacency is dangerous. Fortunately, we didn't learn this lesson the hard way.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #29
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We have two West Marine automatic inflatables on board. We don't wear them when we're underway except when going through the locks on the Snake or Columbia Rivers. They're very comfortable to wear even without a shirt underneath.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #30
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
What if you hit your head and get knocked out?
I will probably sink and drown.

I boat in mostly protected waters in a trawler at low speed. If I were taking a center console fishing offshore, I would have chosen something else.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I was looking at the Revere inflatables at the Miami boat show a couple of months ago. They looked very well made to me. Mustang has been around a long time and has a good reputation. I don't think you could go wrong on either.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We wear PFD's when ever we are underway. My passagers are also required to wear a PFD while underway. Period, no argument.

We did buy two automatic mustang type PFDs last month at our local sporting good store spring sale for $69 each. They had 207 of then and I bought number 206 and 207. I thought it was a good deal.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
We wear PFD's when ever we are underway. My passagers are also required to wear a PFD while underway. Period, no argument.

We did buy two automatic mustang type PFDs last month at our local sporting good store spring sale for $69 each. They had 207 of then and I bought number 206 and 207. I thought it was a good deal.
That sounds like a fantastic deal
Old 04-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #34
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
That sounds like a fantastic deal
Yeah it was and it surprised me. I have always wanted these type of PFDs for the admiral and me...

FYI Bob's sporting goods in Longview WA.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

Yeah it was and it surprised me. I have always wanted these type of PFDs for the admiral and me...

FYI Bob's sporting goods in Longview WA.
Do they have a website?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: NA
Vessel Model: NA
During the annual Chicago-to-Mackinac race on Lake Michigan a couple of years back, the boat "wingnuts" capsized and stayed inverted. Two crew members drowned as they were caught down below and unable to egress. In the Safety at Sea seminar I attended, the statement was made that the autoinflation feature of their vests made egress much more difficult, and the speaker made a case for the manual inflation variety. You pays your money, and you takes your chances... My choice is manual inflation. Mine also has a pocket for a whistle, a chemlite, and a Boye Sheepsfoot knife.

But I also crew on a 44' sloop for local races occasionally, and that influences my thinking.
thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #37
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurman View Post
.... the statement was made that the autoinflation feature of their vests made egress much more difficult, and the speaker made a case for the manual inflation variety. My choice is manual inflation.
I agree except for the eventuality of hitting your head should you fall overboard. Which is most likely to happen? Finding your boat upside down with you in it, or knocking yourself out in a rough sea?

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #38
Guru

Then there's the situation where you're knocked unconscious and are unable to manually inflate your vest and you drown.

I feel I'm more likely to fall than capsize
Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #39
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
It's been said that one should never wear a PFD when inside a cabin on a boat because if it floods (or capsizes) you will float to the top and have difficulty exiting through a lower opening.

You would be OK with a manual inflating PFD because it wouldn't inflate until you pulled the cord.

Part of my reasoning for buying the manual inflating models was cost of course, but part of it was talking to a friend who had been through the experience of having his automatic inflatable inflate from spray, not immersion. They now have a different type that isn't affected by rain or spray, but this is again, a higher price range.

Both types of auto inflate PFDs seem to require periodic testing and of course, a new actuator and cylinder.

As I posted above, my boating is typically in protected waters in fair weather so my risks are different from many other boaters. I picked what I felt would work best for me and my wife.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #40
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote