Whats your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the name. Some people might spell it differently but who cares.

I'd keep the palm trees to either side of the name to avoid confusion, but it doesn't really matter. Its your boat and your choice.

LE doesn’t usually write tickets for an illegible name but they certainly can if they want to.

Not sure about the laws where y'all live, but there are no laws in Texas governing the name of a boat. LEO cannot just write a citation "if they want to." They only thing they can issue a ticket for is not displaying your state registration numbers and decal. And for USCG documented boats, all you have to display is the registration sticker, the numbers aren't required.

Not sure about the laws where y'all live, but there are no laws in Texas governing the name of a boat. LEO cannot just write a citation "if they want to." They only thing they can issue a ticket for is not displaying your state registration numbers and decal. And for USCG documented boats, all you have to display is the registration sticker, the numbers aren't required.

Same here. I don't have a name written on my boat. Most boats don't.

Only the registration numbers are required here.

Your boat so you pick the name and graphics.

The boat name as in #2
the hailing port as in #1

Unfortunately we'll have to agree to disagree. For the amount of money I'm paying for MY boat, I'll write it in chinese if I like. I'm not doing this out of courtesy for others, unless they're willing to pay for it.

Well, that sums up the problem pretty well. It's all about you, and not at all about how you interact with others, and what your responsibilities are as a captain.

It may be commonly disregarded, but even in Texas you are still subject to federal law. As someone involved in law enforcement, you surely already know this. And the laws around documented boats are federal laws. CFR 46, Vol 2, Part 67 to be specific. And to quote from 67.123 concerning marking of the boat's name, it "must be made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals not less than four inches in height".

I didn't bring up the laws in my original post because I figured that common courtesy and good seamanship would be all the reason anyone would need to at least make an effort to have a "clearly legible" name on their boat.

Now if you remove the boat from documentation and only state register it, then there are no display requirements on the boat's name, and instead they are on the registration bow numbers. Anything you do for a name is decorative only, and can be whatever you want.

Well, that sums up the problem pretty well. It's all about you, and not at all about how you interact with others, and what your responsibilities are as a captain.
:iagree:

Ted

This has been quoted...

CFR 46, Vol 2, Part 67 to be specific. And to quote from 67.123 concerning marking of the boat's name, it "must be made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals not less than four inches in height".

Not until his mention of Chinese did it not meet the requirement unless it wasnt 4" high....as I think I posted before....contrast wasn't good until his all black version.

Well....at least I had no trouble reading it. The USCG doesn't get into font or pronunciation of it either.

To help a little with the black version...the palm trees could be shorter and finer in texture compared to the name....it would help the 4 letters punch a bit more.

Last edited:
On the stern of a 60’ Nordhavn - “Ship Faced” with the dinghy named”Piece of Ship”

BTW, Boku is ok, legibility could be better.

On the stern of a 60’ Nordhavn - “Ship Faced” with the dinghy named”Piece of Ship”

Guess that proves you only need money to own one.

Ted

I think it’s a great name: easy to say, easy to spell. As long as you get rid of the dots and the dash. Make life easy for yourself and anyone else by using a standard keyboard only.

I think the name “Boku” is unique, easy to say, and easy to read. All very good things.

I’m not a fan of the graphics. The first is simply a matter of my taste, which shouldn’t matter a bit to you. The second is that I think the graphics do make the boat name less legible than I would like. Legibility of my boat name is important to me. I want other boaters to be able to identify my boat when they need/want to.

I have been playing with it a bit :)lol:) and came up with something more graphic.

If I overtake a boat with a name I can read from a few hundred yards back with my binoculars, I’ll call on VHF and ask if they want a slow pass. If they don’t have the radio on or if I cannot decipher their font I just go on by. That sometimes means bumping up the power from just below theoretical hull speed to just above to minimize the time spent side by side and results in a bigger wake. Recently I saw cursive script in black faded to grey on a soot stained transom! I tried to hail them by description but I guess their vhf was off.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we'll have to agree to disagree. For the amount of money I'm paying for MY boat, I'll write it in chinese if I like. I'm not doing this out of courtesy for others, unless they're willing to pay for it.

Then why bother to ask on here?

My responsibility as a captain is to make sure I don't hit you, you don't hit me, and my passengers and the general public around me are safe. That does not include outfitting my boat as the internet sees fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make it large, clear, and obvious.

Attachments

• IMG_3797.jpg
    IMG_3797.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 62
My given name has only 3 letters. When I introduce myself to others I say, "Hello, my name is Tye, T-Y-E." The response in invariably, "How do you spell that?" As a result, I named my children & boats names that were clear to understand & easy to spell. When naming children, a good test is to stick your head out the back door & yell the name several times as if calling an errant kid. When naming a boat, hold your radio microphone (or a handy hairbrush) & call the name three times as if calling your own boat. Is it easy for you to say repetitively? Does it sound clear when repeated? Do you think everyone hearing you on the radio, including the Coast Guard, will be able to understand your name & spell it? If so, go for it. Any doubts about being correctly understood when safety is at stake, prepare to fall in love with another name that has special meaning to you.

Just ask a lovely scantly clad lady to sit on your transom with a sigh that has the boats name on it. Everyone will know your boat.

attractive-young-woman-holding-blank-sign-22112392.jpg

I'll cast a vote for the second one. No special accenting needed. It reads fine and normally without them. I agree the font color should be a little darker to stand out more. Don't need to go crazy with it, just a little darker.

Once you finalize it and get it applied, post a photo of the finished product.

You're right. Why bother. If I don't do things exactly as the internet says, then I shouldn't do anything at all right? Thanks! You've been a great help.

Your thread is titled “What’s your opinion?” and people have gave it like you asked.
Did someone :censored: in your Cheerios?

OK, you asked for other people’s opinions, then when others give their opinions you get pissed off at them. Have a suggestion for you, don’t ask for others opinions anymore. We all want to help and try to give honest help and opinions but really don’t appreciate it when you dump on them for trying to help you. I have thought about this post for a long time before posting it and decided that if you don’t appreciate my opinions or help then that is OK, just don’t ask anymore.

I'll fix that. Out of those 3, I'd go with number 1

BTW.. I'm across the lake in Watergate. Howdy neighbor!

When naming a boat, hold your radio microphone (or a handy hairbrush) & call the name three times as if calling your own boat. Is it easy for you to say repetitively? Does it sound clear when repeated? Do you think everyone hearing you on the radio, including the Coast Guard, will be able to understand your name & spell it? If so, go for it.
Damn good advice! In my dinghy rides around our marina, I can't believe the absolutely stupid names some people come up with! My wife & I often stop behind a boat and try to figure out the correct pronunciation of its name. :confused:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom