Old 04-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #61
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Rocna anchor on all rope rode, 2:1 scope.

Really? That's a hell of a lot of rode to put out. We use a 1:1 scope on our Rocna and it works great. However we use all-chain.

But.... the folks who share our finger and who have a 40' sailboat they've taken all over the southwestern Pacific have recently discovered another advantage of using a Rocna. They have the same model we do, and they have found that they need no rode at all.

They've discovered, initially by accident. that if you simply drop a Rocna onto the bottom with a light retrieval line attached to it and a crab trap float on the other end, the boat will simply hover over it with no connection to the anchor whatsoever.

Even in 40 knots winds and 3-4 foot waves, they found that their sailboat stays directly over the Rocna at all times. Then when they're ready to leave, they simply pick up the float with a boathook, haul the Rocna up and set it on deck, and they're on their way.

We have to fix a leak in our Livingston shore boat before we can go out again, but when we head out again in a week or two, we're going to try this technique. It sounds brilliant and eliminates the need to carry an anchor rode at all.

I'm told this will ONLY work with a New Zealand or Vancouver-made Rocna. The newer China-made Rocnas apparently lack the rodeless holding power of the originals.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #62
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
2 dozen Bruny Is Pacific Oysters, a couple of glasses of Mumm, A fine med/rare rump steak accompanied by a tall glass or 2 of little Creatures Pale Ale or a bottle of "Ladies Who Shoot Their Lunch" Pinot Noir., we could do desert but a nice Bowen Special Mango (chilled of course) would suffice and then settle down for a few dark and Stormys but only with Bundaberg Rum.

Life is to be lived , it is not a dress rehersal.
The other drugs are salt water fly fishing, spear fishing and catching reef fish

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #63

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Early morning in late September in the non motorized interior portion of a 3 million acre national park wilderness area shared by the US and Canada on the MN/Ontario border with just a little light fog coming off the water into the crisp cool air, the walleyes on the bite, and not another human in sight. Anybody who has ever been there knows what Heaven might feel like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basswood 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	38812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basswood 2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	38813  
Old 04-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #64

City: Greenfield IN
Vessel Name: Chutay
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
That's because we are sitting back and laughing as we now understand why Australians are still second to the US for the most overweight citizens.

Oh sorry, my favourite poison just has to be…anyone…?
Ah…damn…forgot the jar kinda gives it away...
Have you ever had cucumber and Marmite sandwiches or beet and Marmite sandwiches
DMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #65

City: Edmonds
A full moon, a glass of wine, my guitar and a couple of friends, singing our favorite songs.
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #66
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
A full moon, a glass of wine, my guitar and a couple of friends, singing our favorite songs.
We love just pulling our keyboard out and maybe some background music and singing for hours. Also, when cruising a lot, nothing as nice as long walks, a tennis match, or playing some basketball. Really gets out bodies rebalanced.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #67

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Name:  images69412JRC.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  8.0 KB

Simple but effective.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #68
Guru

Posted on Errol Flynn Marina's facebook page.

Teach your child the love of sailing

and they'll never have money for drugs...
Old 04-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #69

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
My guns, Boating, My Harley and Kettlecorn popcorn!
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #70
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
I am a real health nut
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1792-small-batch-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey-1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	38836   Click image for larger version

Name:	chips.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	38837  
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #71
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If the topic is limited to food/drink-type 'drugs" as opposed to experience-type "drugs," the only beer I will drink is Guinness. The rest of them all taste to me like weak cow piss in comparison.

Westvleteren 12...cow piss?

http://sintsixtus.be
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westvleteren_Brewery

Don't get me wrong. I like my Guinness. But with Westvleteren 12, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Westvleteren 12...cow piss?

Sint-Sixtusabdij Westvleteren
Westvleteren Brewery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't get me wrong. I like my Guinness. But with Westvleteren 12, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.Jim
A journalist here once asked about NZ Sauvignon Blanc wine ( which some love and some hate), if the bottling process been fully automated or was it still necessary to hold a cat over each bottle to pee.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:42 AM   #73
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I get a my adrenaline buzz out backcountry skiing; I try to find some waist deep powder each year.
- and I too don't mind the odd fatty on the back porch.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:13 AM   #74
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMartin View Post
Have you ever had cucumber and Marmite sandwiches or beet and Marmite sandwiches
No - but I will - sounds a great combo, but my favourite is Marmite and cheese in very fresh bread. I am happy with Marmite or Vegemite - whichever. had to become adaptable when the Marmite factory in Christchurch was destroyed in the earthquake. Word of warning - found when in the UK in 2011 that English Marmite is much softer and quite different to the Marmite we get down under…ok…but not as good as the southern hemi version.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #75
Guru

Quote:
No - but I will - sounds a great combo, but my favourite is Marmite and cheese in very fresh bread. I am happy with Marmite or Vegemite - whichever. had to become adaptable when the Marmite factory in Christchurch was destroyed in the earthquake. Word of warning - found when in the UK in 2011 that English Marmite is much softer and quite different to the Marmite we get down under…ok…but not as good as the southern hemi version.
Wifey B: Does it tell you anything that the Marmite sold in Australia, is manufactured in New Zealand by SANITARIUM Health Food Company. The stuff looks and smells yucky.....no no no....
Old 04-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #76
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Vegemite is the all Australian spread, the others are just for immigrants and blow ins or Coeliacs if you are like my Boss lady who uses Mity Mite or Dick Smith's equivalent that is gluten free.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #77
Scraping Paint

City: -
I tried Marmite once. I then decided it would be the ideal lubricant in the transfer case of my Land Rover Series III. It looks, smells, and tastes exactly like 90wt lube oil with some soy sauce mixed in.

On the other hand, my good friend in the UK loves Marmite but absolutely despises peanut butter. It's all in what you start out with, I guess.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:53 PM   #78
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Does it tell you anything that the Marmite sold in Australia, is manufactured in New Zealand by SANITARIUM Health Food Company. The stuff looks and smells yucky.....no no no....
Wifey B the trouble is the tendency you Americans have of ladling stuff on in great lashings. (Supersize you sort of approach).
The secret with Marmite/Vegemite/Promite - whatever, they are all largely yeast extract concentrates, is to not eat it neat, and to spread thinly. You have to be able to see the butter showing through.

Here's what to do. Make some nice toast - butter it hot, then thin spread of the 'mite'> That's the hot and melted way. Another way I find even nicer, (my kids used to call it the light/dark way - you'll see why), is to let the toast cool, apply butter, allowed to be fairly think for this one, (not margarine), then put in frig to harden the butter again, then very thin spread of the 'mite' - heavenly..! You don't know what you're missing…

Great for on a boat because it keeps virtually indefinitely, even unrefrigerated, and makes a great alternative to the 'usual' toast spreads.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:02 AM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B the trouble is the tendency you Americans have of ladling stuff on in great lashings. (Supersize you sort of approach).
The secret with Marmite/Vegemite/Promite - whatever, they are all largely yeast extract concentrates, is to not eat it neat, and to spread thinly. You have to be able to see the butter showing through.

Here's what to do. Make some nice toast - butter it hot, then thin spread of the 'mite'> That's the hot and melted way. Another way I find even nicer, (my kids used to call it the light/dark way - you'll see why), is to let the toast cool, apply butter, allowed to be fairly think for this one, (not margarine), then put in frig to harden the butter again, then very thin spread of the 'mite' - heavenly..! You don't know what you're missing…

Great for on a boat because it keeps virtually indefinitely, even unrefrigerated, and makes a great alternative to the 'usual' toast spreads.
Wifey B: No thanks....but then I don't do peanut butter either. And we don't do a lot of toast.

And I leave you with this....MITES. I don't like any kind of mites....they're not nice anthropods and I sure don't want to be spreading mites on anything and that includes Mar mites, Vege mites, Pro mites, Dust mites, Flour mites, Hay mites, Chigger mites, itch mites, cheese mites, ter mites and all other mites......
Old 04-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #80
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:

OK. I'm game. I'll buy a jar when I get home and try it.

Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote