What's your dream boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is my DREAM BOAT?

I lived with my dream boat for the past 10 years and it is a PILGRIM 40 they are slow but safe. I my wife and I cruised over 10 000 nautical miles on the New-York, Erie, Oswego canals, the East coast including the Bahamas: REAL MOUNTIE's Adventures * Les Aventures du REAL MOUNTIE

And I still enjoy sailing with my friends on Lake Champlain.

Attachments

• Real Mountie Ancré.jpg
    Real Mountie Ancré.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6147.jpg
    IMG_6147.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 42
  • sunset real mountie.jpg
    sunset real mountie.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 40
  • REAL MOUTIE.jpg
    REAL MOUTIE.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 41
  • 539.jpg
    539.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 41
I lived with my dream boat for the past 10 years and it is a PILGRIM 40 they are slow but safe. I my wife and I cruised over 10 000 nautical miles on the New-York, Erie, Oswego canals, the East coast including the Bahamas: REAL MOUNTIE's Adventures * Les Aventures du REAL MOUNTIE

And I still enjoy sailing with my friends on Lake Champlain.

Well how about that, I was just reading a review for an anchorage you left on Active Captain earlier today. What a small world.

Greetings Dave, how nice to find out how small the cruising world is! Cruising the Erie canal was so memorable for my wife and I. Sylvan Beach and Verona Beach were extraordinary experiences for us.

I’ve always wanted a Diesel Duck. This one would do.

IMG_0558.JPG

Can my dream boat be a fantasy build?

So my dream boat would be either a Fleming 58 or 65, but with modifications.

The mods would be the same on both boats, but we'd have to increase the head room in the engine room on the 65 to be at least the same as the max headroom in the 58 - which is ~ 5' - 11''. And that's not going to happen, so I wonder if they could make the following mods to a new construction 58?

1.) It would be nice to have interior access to the engine room via a saloon stairway or at least a hatch.

2.) It would also be nice to have a crew cabin and a head aft in the lower level, maybe even accessible through the transom at the swim platform, or at least through the same pathway to the engine room from the inside, discussed in Item 1 (preferably a stairway instead of a hatch). Hampton Endurance boats feature this - a stairway portside aft in the saloon. I really don't think there's room in the 58 for this.

3.) Ability to access the amidships Master Cabin solely via a private stairway from the pilothouse.

4.) A third stairway in the saloon, leading below, providing access to the guest cabins.

The Selene 66 Flagship Trawler features three interior stairways, but the pilothouse stairway isn't private to the master stateroom.

5.) Lastly, a workbench with a vise in the lower level or lazzarette, along with a dive center/wet locker. Again, probably not enough room.

The vessel would be for ocean crossings, but with the 5' draft, it seems both boasts could navigate the Great Loop as well, though the 65 pushes 71 feet and may be a bit big.

Honestly, the Hampton Endurance 658, if it was made for ocean crossings, would fit the bill exactly, except it would need an extra staircase leading to the guest cabins. It's meant for coastal cruising only, as verified by their response to an email I recently sent.

That was fun, thanks for playing along!

AS we get older , less is more , and time considerations become more of interest.

The Tom Fexas 44ft MIDNIGHT LACE _ RUM RUNNER series becomes more interesting.

44ft just over 10ft beam about 16,000lbs with twin diesels. 18-20K cruise with a very smooth ride.

No need to strap into Stidd seats , smooth inshore ride like the old commuters .

Perfect for a couple , with a couple of bunks for occasional guests.

They were created by Cheoy Lee so have a dark interior , fine for summer cruises.

WE would use the boat to commute as snowbirds instead of our RV.

Bigger fuel bill but few traffic jams .at 12K the claimed burn is 3nm/US Gal .

With a bit of effort the fwd cockpit could control the boat for nice weather cruises.

Midnight Lace - Cheoy Lee - Cheoy Lee Association

www.cheoyleeassociation.com › Power › PowerMLace

There are twenty 44' Midnight Laces, thirteen 52s, and one 65 footer.

Last edited:
I think my dream would look like this!

Attachments

• csm_Galeon_02_868997f970.jpg
    csm_Galeon_02_868997f970.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 18
My dream boat is the boat I presently own, except maybe a few feet longer. (Just like everyone else, I guess)

pete

Like the others my dream boat is the one I own. Kadey Krogen 42. Although I wish I would have bought a center queen version. If I was moving up in size a Cape Horn Trawler is top of my list.

AS we get older , less is more , and time considerations become more of interest.

The Tom Fexas 44ft MIDNIGHT LACE _ RUM RUNNER series becomes more interesting.

44ft just over 10ft beam about 16,000lbs with twin diesels. 18-20K cruise with a very smooth ride.

No need to strap into Stidd seats , smooth inshore ride like the old commuters .

Perfect for a couple , with a couple of bunks for occasional guests.

They were created by Cheoy Lee so have a dark interior , fine for summer cruises.

WE would use the boat to commute as snowbirds instead of our RV.

Bigger fuel bill but few traffic jams .at 12K the claimed burn is 3nm/US Gal .

With a bit of effort the fwd cockpit could control the boat for nice weather cruises.

Midnight Lace - Cheoy Lee - Cheoy Lee Association

www.cheoyleeassociation.com › Power › PowerMLace

There are twenty 44' Midnight Laces, thirteen 52s, and one 65 footer.

Fred,

I saw this listing close to me here in Texas and thought about you. Pretty cool boat! Repowered!

https://littleyachtsales.com/boat/1981-midnight-lace-rumrunner-44/

Thanks , yes I found that one too, but it has electric Volvos and we live in a lightning zone .

The one I missed had older 5.9's which are reliable.

The boats do come on the market as more folks want roomarans , rather than commuters.

Thanks , yes I found that one too, but it has electric Volvos and we live in a lightning zone .

The one I missed had older 5.9's which are reliable.

The boats do come on the market as more folks want roomarans , rather than commuters.

I saw a Midnight Lace with a pair of 6bta's pop up for sale and vaguely remembered this post. I hope the afterlife has something to do with our dreamboats. Never met him but always enjoyed FF's posts.

Pretty happy with the NT42 but the hit the lottery boat would be a Arksen 65. Low air draft so could do the European canals. Long legs so RTW not an issue. Capable of high lat. Can be run by mom and pop. Less maintenance than my current boat. Three staterooms for my children and grandkids. And very green for a powerboat. Other than docking a 67’ boat annual expense not much more than current.

Too high

Pretty happy with the NT42 but the hit the lottery boat would be a Arksen 65. Low air draft so could do the European canals. Long legs so RTW not an issue. Capable of high lat. Can be run by mom and pop. Less maintenance than my current boat. Three staterooms for my children and grandkids. And very green for a powerboat. Other than docking a 67’ boat annual expense not much more than current.

to cross France 3.48m by the "standard" one, and 3.18 m for the canal du midi
link 3.18m under canal du midi bridge ...
https://fdata.over-blog.net/99/00/00/01/designs/367/blue/pics/global.png

With 3.70m to move from north sea to méditerranée you have two choice Gibraltar/Byscay gulf, or Rhin/Main/Danube ...Black sea

or 11 t of ballast :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
My dream boat? The one I sold last year <<sigh>>.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• AMY 6.jpg
    AMY 6.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 27
My dream boat?

My dear, sweet HoG which I sold years ago. Except I'd tear her apart and completely rebuild her:
  • Rip out and redo entire electrical system (now 60 years old) including generators;
  • Remove 4 electrical voltages and replace with just 2 (I've gone European);
  • Build my muscles by removing the eight 8D. Probably replace with a heavy bank of 2 volt industrial cells;
  • Repower - those wonderful Jimmies would need to go for something more modern, fuel efficient, enviro-friendly, and about half the size (I only ever ran them at 35%);
  • Rip out the 4th stateroom and convert to a beautiful master bath;
  • Lose the worthless 3rd head in the bow and convert to forepeak storage;
  • Lose the flybridge and replace with a big solar array;
  • All that glass would need to be replaced with strong marine windows. Amazing that it survived a RT of the Pacific Ocean;
  • I could live without the cockpit, but it's already there so would need to be re-decked in steel instead of teak;
  • Interior remodel of course, which is easy and minor compared to the rest.

Since that's just a dream, and not reality, my new reality as I head towards retirement in a few years is to design/SOR a new build with lots of lessons learned from all the boats I've owned even the little fishing boats. Oh and most important, I would spend at least 3 months arguing with all you guys about what anchor to get :)

Attachments

• HoG.jpg
    HoG.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 28
My dream boat is the one that allowed me to escape the office at 60 years old and start my cruising life.

It's not expensive, and it's not fancy, and I am not sitting in my office dreaming about cruising.

Attachments

• EC4F3821-8393-4096-A370-F58F22A12A46.jpeg
    EC4F3821-8393-4096-A370-F58F22A12A46.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 23
I bought a 34 ft American Tug. In hind sight I should have bought a 41 ft American Tug. I passed up that opportunity. I have loaded up and modified the 34 ft boat to the point that I can never recoup my investment and too old to start modifying another boat. This one is almost completed..... finish up the mods to the instrumentation panel, maybe add a wooden spoked helm wheel, raise my right hand to pronounce those infamous words, "It is finished."

Last edited:
My dream boat?

My dear, sweet HoG which I sold years ago. Except I'd tear her apart and completely rebuild her:
  • Rip out and redo entire electrical system (now 60 years old) including generators;
  • Remove 4 electrical voltages and replace with just 2 (I've gone European);
  • Build my muscles by removing the eight 8D. Probably replace with a heavy bank of 2 volt industrial cells;
  • Repower - those wonderful Jimmies would need to go for something more modern, fuel efficient, enviro-friendly, and about half the size (I only ever ran them at 35%);
  • Rip out the 4th stateroom and convert to a beautiful master bath;
  • Lose the worthless 3rd head in the bow and convert to forepeak storage;
  • Lose the flybridge and replace with a big solar array;
  • All that glass would need to be replaced with strong marine windows. Amazing that it survived a RT of the Pacific Ocean;
  • I could live without the cockpit, but it's already there so would need to be re-decked in steel instead of teak;
  • Interior remodel of course, which is easy and minor compared to the rest.
Since that's just a dream, and not reality, my new reality as I head towards retirement in a few years is to design/SOR a new build with lots of lessons learned from all the boats I've owned even the little fishing boats. Oh and most important, I would spend at least 3 months arguing with all you guys about what anchor to get :)
HoG was(is) stunning. Was she a Philip Rhodes design? There are similarities
to our old 'Rhodie'. Wood or steel? I appreciate the name's etymology.

Last edited:
HoG was(is) stunning. Was she a Philip Rhodes design? There are similarities
to our old 'Rhodie'. Wood or steel? I appreciate the name's etymology.

Oh, can I guess too? Jack Hargrave?

My dream boat is the one that allowed me to escape the office at 60 years old and start my cruising life.

It's not expensive, and it's not fancy, and I am not sitting in my office dreaming about cruising.

X2!!!

Our Dream Boat is the one we currently own, cruise, and live on. Any other dream boat at this point, would be just that, a "dream". I prefer to live and cruise in the real world, and not in a dream world.
Having said that, if I had unlimited $$$, I would probably hire someone to figure out why the &$(%& bow thruster will only work in port thrust mode . . . .:banghead::nonono::banghead:

Having said that, if I had unlimited $$$, I would probably hire someone to figure out why the &$(%& bow thruster will only work in port thrust mode . . . .:banghead::nonono::banghead:

That's funny.

I wonder if there's a subset of us who fit that category - part of me thinks that my dream would be to motor over to Driscoll's yard with a blank check and say: "fix everything! Paint everything! Add stabilizers! And a hardtop over the flybridge with 1000W of rigid solar... new cushions everywhere... and probably fifty other things... Call me when she's done!"

Might be faster/cheaper to buy a new boat!

I would probably hire someone to figure out why the &$(%& bow thruster will only work in port thrust mode . . . .:banghead::nonono::banghead:

Never mind. Just install a second bow thruster that only thrusts to starboard, and voila - problem solved. (You're welcome).

Back
Top Bottom