What's you favorite cold weather boat & why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nocanvas

Vessel Name
Navigator
Vessel Make
Mariner/Helmsman 38
We boat mainly in the PNW where the weather is mild. I got to thinking what boat would I want in the 45' LOA range for cold weather and flat out stumped myself. How about you , what and why would you choose just for conversation sake. :whistling:

I would say my boat is similar to yours. While I'm not interested in pushing ice out of the way, I'm not sure I see what other manufacturer's features are desirable. With regard to comfort, I added a hot water heat system with 3 bus style heaters. This proved to be adequate for Lake Superior in the summer. If I were to go into the shoulder seasons, maybe more heaters in different locations and a diesel fired boiler would be appropriate. All of this is certainly retrofitable to an existing boat. Maybe there are manufacturers that insulate better. That would be far easier during the construction phase. As my cruising will likely not get colder than Lake Superior, I don't see much to improve upon what I have or your Helmsman.

Ted

For serious cold weather use, I'd want something where the cabin can readily be insulated, a good heating system, space to route ducting for window defrost, and a design that's easy to remove ice from the exterior (so minimal area that's hard to reach safely while standing somewhere on the deck).

On BC's north coast mainland inlets freezing spray is limited to a couple weeks each year and is very predictable because it comes with 25 knot and above northerly outflow winds.

Therefore, my plan would be to hunker down in a safe anchorage, but far enough out not to get frozen in with ice from a nearby creek (sea water doesn't freeze here) and have enough windows and roominess to not feel cooped up.

Any boat that is tied to a dock with shore power and a a good diesel furnace. :flowers:

Our boat is suitable but for short periods and with a cold V berth and head. NOt ideal though.

I too would go for the Transpac Eagle 40 but even that is out of reach so our boat serves just fine even with its faults.

I think the answer is whatever boat you like best. And for cold weather, it's that same boat with heat installed.

I'd have to go with the one in my avatar. It has 4 reverse cycle heat/air units that each have their own temperature control. Is it zero degrees outside and you like it 70* in the salon? No problem. Like it 64* in the staterooms. No problem. Want the windshield defrosted, no problem. We have a small 120VAC fan that keeps it clean.

And the biggest plus is that we already own it.

My favorite cold weather boat would be a rental in a slip in Florida!

Any old fish boat w a clean Dickenson oil stove and good visibility.
Boat based in SE Alaska.

Last edited:
I've got the next week off work. The plan (outflow winds permitting) will be day trips out to try and photograph some Humpbacks overwintering here with mountains covered in snow from peak to shore in the background.

Not set up for winter cruising yet, so day trips are the prudent thing to do this winter.

We used to sea kayak around here in the winter, so looking forward to winter boating...amazing scenery!

Last edited:
200.webp

Hey Mr RT...all I ever see is a little blue box with a white question mark. What am I missing?

Greetings,
Mr. MM. "What am I missing?" A non-apple computer, I think. When I read TF on my I-pad, none of my gifs ever show up.

Mr. m...

200.webp
:D

Last edited:
I don't have an APple anything and RT's pics show here. I have no idea though , Murray, why yours doesn't.

Greetings,
Mr. MM. "What am I missing?" A non-apple computer, I think. When I read TF on my I-pad, none of my gifs ever show up.

Mr. m...

200.webp
:D

Sigh...yup...Mac user I am, so gif-less I shall remain.

No doubt funny as all get out and situationally specific with laser accuracy I am sure.

We've been out in many Fraser River outflows where it's in the teens. Boat has been so warm from the Dickinson and fireplace we would rarely use the Webasto. It's actually warmer than our house.

I'd have to go with the one in my avatar. It has 4 reverse cycle heat/air units that each have their own temperature control. Is it zero degrees outside and you like it 70* in the salon? No problem. Like it 64* in the staterooms. No problem. Want the windshield defrosted, no problem. We have a small 120VAC fan that keeps it clean.

And the biggest plus is that we already own it.

When its zero degrees outside, then how warm is the water temp (sea water)?? How are your reverse cycle heaters effective in that cold?

Im in Beantown and my reverse cycle heaters will be useless in a few weeks.....

Something that has more interior space than out and an excellent heater/diesel. Thats why aft cabins are sooo popular in the PNW - massive amount of interior space.

When its zero degrees outside, then how warm is the water temp (sea water)?? How are your reverse cycle heaters effective in that cold?

Im in Beantown and my reverse cycle heaters will be useless in a few weeks.....
Some reverse cycle heaters work better than others. A much higher water flow (>10 GPM) is required to keep them from freezing up and producing more heat. Mine work below 32 degrees with reduced efficiency.

Ted

As OC Diver said, as long as you're moving enough water through the system to keep the temperature drop across the coil down, the system will work down to a couple degrees above the freezing point of the water (so figure down to 35* in fresh water, 30* in salt). Below that, you'll start to freeze water in the heat exchanger, so it's time for a different heating solution.

My biggest issue with reverse cycle units being the only heat source (which is my current situation) is that it pretty much leaves you marina hopping unless you don't mind running a generator 24/7. And the generator also becomes mission critical, as no 120v power = no heat.

No doubt funny as all get out and situationally specific with laser accuracy I am sure.

Nah, not so much! :)

For high schoolers mostly - and mainship owners too I guess!

Oooooh, :D

Last edited:
I'm all Mac-based (and have been since the early '90s) and I have always been fortunate enough to see Mr. Firefly's hilarious GIFs!

Hi,

A few thoughts and experiences, better cold air boat.

I have my NT37 boating in cold water a few seasons now the coldest of about water +0-1 ° C and out dor air-13 ° C. i can keeps livin space etc. warm and dry gently to the desired + 23 ° C eberspäher D5 heater.

The Cokpit Stern cover is also good, it insulates a little cold and keeps water and snow out.

I have spare heating 2 x 2000w portable electric heaters with ceramic resistors and genny if eber break out.

Here are some improvement ideas that some boats observed. All windows with double glazing filled with insulating gas (argon).

Second heating backup eg reflex which works without electricity and can build water circulation with radiators exaples, refleks, https://refleks-olieovne.dk/en/

I haven't seen any serial motorboats for winter use yet, all real Arctic boats built to order and insulated and equipped to live or even drive on ice.

My dream, if money is not a barrier to the A1 ice class, also equipped Caribbean.

https://www.shipsforsale.com/en/ships-en/shipid/957/rescue-vessels_3_astra

NBs

Last edited:
Something that has more interior space than out and an excellent heater/diesel. Thats why aft cabins are sooo popular in the PNW - massive amount of interior space.

I think there's a lot right about this answer. I never wanted to be a cold weather cruiser. In fact I set out to be the opposite, but the fates have conspired against me, and I've had lots of frost on my deck so far. As a result, I've spent a lot of time inside. I'm really glad I've got as much warm comfortable interior space as I have.

This is one of those few times a wooden boat wins. The insulation value of wood is better than fiberglass, aluminum or steel hulls.

I've got the next week off work. The plan (outflow winds permitting) will be day trips out to try and photograph some Humpbacks overwintering here with mountains covered in snow from peak to shore in the background...

Crap. I'm getting a flu/cold that's making me somewhat light headed. Margin for error gets razor thin in winter, so we're not going for a romp today.

It's supposed to drop to -24C (-12F) with northerly outflow winds building to 30 knot northerly outflow winds by next week, so today might be the only chance for a couple weeks.

Oh well, better safe than sorry...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom