Old 02-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #281
Guru

A friend of mine a part owner of a busy all service yard who is a working expert regarding boats owns a Bayliner and speaks well of it. Since his job includes many repair evaluations for individuals and insurance companies he gets to see how things are put together and what brakes and what does not.

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #282
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarli View Post
This spring we will be returning to the PNW and we will be actively shopping for a Bayliner 4588.
The important word in your sentence is not "Bayliner" but "PNW." No matter what brand of boat a person may buy up here, the cruising experience will be superb, partcularly if one likes the northwest weather.

When you're the only boat in the anchorage and the eagles are flying, the kingfishers are diving, the otters are playing and the mountains are out, the brand of boat one is on is totally irrelvant. What's relevant is the fact that you're there, having an experience that will stay with you forever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset and Fog.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	37697   Click image for larger version

Name:	weynton%20passage.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	37698  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #283
Veteran Member

City: Friday Harbor
Marin
You are 100% correct................
thanks
bcarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #284
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarli View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. This spring we will be returning to the PNW and we will be actively shopping for a Bayliner 4588.
There are two 49 Meridians for sale in Seattle area. One was at the Seattle Boat Show. It has been under cover always and owned by a finicky maintenance oriented freak who -gasp- insisted on doing servicing by the book even though the boat racked up less than 100 hours per year. Cummins 330s and sparkling.

Although you are looking at a smaller 4588, the 49Ms are worth a look, a look you won't regret.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #285

City: Edmonds
A few important differences between the 4588 and the 1997 or later 4788/Meridian 490: Hino engines vs Cummins (both are great engines, Hinos can be a little harder to find an experienced mechanic and parts); 4588 had some wood coring above the water line (look for soft deck and flybridge); 4588 has exterior wood (pretty but more maintenance). We love our 4788, but doesn't everyone love the boat they own?
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #286
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
A few important differences between the 4588 and the 1997 or later 4788/Meridian 490: Hino engines vs Cummins (both are great engines, Hinos can be a little harder to find an experienced mechanic and parts); 4588 had some wood coring above the water line (look for soft deck and flybridge); 4588 has exterior wood (pretty but more maintenance). We love our 4788, but doesn't everyone love the boat they own?
The 4588 also has a smaller cockpit, as I recall. My friend has a 4788 with the Hinos, but maybe it's an oddball 4788.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #287
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Another difference is the 45s have prop pockets the 47s do not, so the 45s have a little less draft.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:52 PM   #288
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
There are two 49 Meridians for sale in Seattle area. One was at the Seattle Boat Show. It has been under cover always and owned by a finicky maintenance oriented freak who -gasp- insisted on doing servicing by the book even though the boat racked up less than 100 hours per year. Cummins 330s and sparkling.

Although you are looking at a smaller 4588, the 49Ms are worth a look, a look you won't regret.
Sunchaser and Rob both bring up a Very good point here, one you should not overlook.

The Bayliner Pilothouse series of boats started in the early 1980's, using boat building techniques for the most part that were fairly typical of the era.

In approx 1993 the 45' version was discontinued and basically the exact same boat only 2' longer in the salon was introduced. The 4788 also marked a huge shift in construction materials. Where the 45' version had balsa cored decks like the other boats of its Era, the 4788 offered foam cored decks. This completely eliminates one of the major issues that vintage boats suffer from, being soft decks.

In 1996 The cummins engines were made standard, replacing the Hino engines of earlier boats. Nothing wrong with the hino engine, some even prefer it, but the Cummins engine clearly offers a better marine support network.

Some time later and I do not know when exactly the solid teak interior was replaced with in my opinion a not as nice teak interior with white cabinets. The same with the aft bulkhead. My 2001 model has an alumanium aft bulkhead and my neighbors 1994 has a teak looking bulkhead and in my opinion a better looking interior with more teak. But on the plus side the newer boats sport solid surface countertops replacing the formica that the older boats offered.

When Bayliner discontinued the 4788 in 2002 and Meridian mysteriously started selling the same exact same boats in 2003 the price went up, but for the most part the boats didn't change much. I've seen a 2008 model (last year built) and except for being newer I didn't see much difference.

So, what you have is a production run spanning 25 years and a whole bunch of boats. During that time the marine world evolved and so did the Bayliner Pilothouse.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote