Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #241
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
So here we go, those who can afford to buy a new expensive boat are fair game for ridicule and silly remarks. Larger boats always have been and always will be EXPENSIVE. Thus rich guys are needed, and badly.

Without those who have the financial ability to purchase new vessels there would be no boating industry, no fancy electronics, no Tesla, no Cobras, no Kim Kardashian (humm on that one), no good beer, no twins, no KK rendezvous and no old Mainships for wannabes to work on and dream about newer and bigger. In fact the entity known as TF would not exist thus no forum from which to yak about our mutual shared water borne interests.

God bless those who sooner or later sell their nice but now less expensive vessels to those of us who are not as affluent. Why we are less affluent gets complicated but very deep down most of us know why. I sure do.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #242
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Well said Sunchaser. Maybe it's not so important the why~only important that they did. As you said, this opened the door for many of us😎❗️

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 01-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #243
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
WOW! Fun read! You would think this was a Club Sea Ray...Bayliner Owner Club Thread!!!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #244
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
WOW! Fun read! You would think this was a Club Sea Ray...Bayliner Owner Club Thread!!!
Well, at least the Bayliner portion of that. I do think that one important point was made and that is there are a lot of happy Bayliner owners. I'm sure Sea Ray would also get the same. It's common for people to put these and other brands down. I guess I've heard every brand put down at one time or another and 95% of the time it's by someone who not only has never owned one but never even been on one. It's not just online that one must consider the source. In fact, online in many ways is safer information as at least someone can refute it.

The reality is most boats are good. The key is finding the right one for you.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #245
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Amen!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #246
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The reality is most boats are good. The key is finding the right one for you.

Rhetoric is just that and as you said at least online someone is there to refute it. Many of us on the forum purchase used boats and most of those are perhaps 20+ years old, mine is 48 years old Fact is though if it checks out as otherwise sound and is the right boat for you who gives a darn what the brand is. Wherever you cruise the folks in the 17' center console are enjoying the same view and water as the folks in the 60 meter yacht.

If it where not for folks purchasing brand new boats and selling them off my family would never enjoy the water in the reasonable comfort level we enjoy. Now where is my lottery ticket

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #247

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
I never met a Bayliner trasher who has actually owned one. Maybe they exist. I've not met one in 35+ years on large boats.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #248
Guru

OK, enough of this love fest. A question - are BL owners overly sensitive? Is there another brand out there that has the ready defenders jump to the fore like the leapers from the trenches at Verdun. If only certain politicians were so lucky with their posse. Geez this thread even has a group of FL retirees in muscle shirts looking to repel BL boarders.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #249

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
I suppose we can start on CHBs and other Taiwan boats. I like mine
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #250
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
OK, enough of this love fest. A question - are BL owners overly sensitive? Is there another brand out there that has the ready defenders jump to the fore like the leapers from the trenches at Verdun. If only certain politicians were so lucky with their posse. Geez this thread even has a group of FL retirees in muscle shirts looking to repel BL boarders.
In a word- nope.

Most Bayliner owners I know, (and I know a lot of them- I'm a moderator on the Bayliner Owners Club site) have thick skin, and shrug off the banter tossed against the brand. As mentioned earlier, most Bayliner horror stories are (at best) second or 3rd hand and not based in reality/fact.

Further, as one that deals with the marine side of insurance, I can attest that there are proportionally more claims against Bayliners than any other brand- because there are proportionally more Bayiners by far that have been sold than any other brand. There has been no rash of Bayliner transoms falling off, not Bayliner decks suddenly caving in, no Bayliner bottoms with rampant blistering.

I love it when a Sea Ray owner talks about "that crappy Bayliner __________ (engine, cleats, outdrive, etc). Tells me that person is clueless about who the parent company of Sea Ray is......

Quick story- I owned a 2359 Trophy sportfisher, and did frequent trips around Puget Sound and along the Pacific Coast. I had a burr in my side- a guy that owned a 22' Grady White, and felt it was his duty to constantly remind me that my Trophy was just a "Bayliner in drag", "lipstick on a pig" etc.

We were fishing tuna out of Westport, and my fish boxes were jammed- I was done for the day. Mr GW had a few fish onboard, and was constantly whining on the radio about how sucky the day was.

I got on the VHF, called out to a friend that I was headed for the barn, and he acknowledged. I then called out "Grady, this is Pau Hana. My boat cost half of yours, and raises fish. Must be the Bayliner curse. OUT!"

Felt good

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #251
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Tom,
Those DeFevers have OSB keels don't they?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #252
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Tom,
Those DeFevers have OSB keels don't they?
Eric

What the heck is an OFB keel. If its good I have one, if its bad it is on a AHEM SeaRay
Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #253

City: Marysville, Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poach View Post
I never met a Bayliner trasher who has actually owned one. Maybe they exist. I've not met one in 35+ years on large boats.
We have never met but I owned a Bayliner Trophy at one time. My last big boat was a 54 Defever.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #254
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophyge View Post
I suppose we can start on CHBs and other Taiwan boats. I like mine

+1
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 PM   #255
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Tom, I don't think overly sensitive, but yes in general Bayliner owners, myself included can be defensive.

Think about it like this...

Everybody here on TF probably really likes boats. Everybody here probably really likes their boat, with all the good and bad included. Everybody here has thought allot about their boat, and probably has a significant amount of money in their boat. Large boats are a lifestyle choice for many of us.

So what if someone, and not just someone, but some people that knew very little or nothing about your boat sat behind their keyboard and told you that you made a stupid choice in a boat. That what you cared about, what you allocated allot of your time and money into was junk? What if they implied that their wealth of knowledge on the subject was common knowledge, and thus implied that you were the stupid one for not knowing?

That happens to Bayliner owners. Thank goodness it doesn't happen here. Honestly it used to happen allot more, but Bayliner owners are pretty good at pointing out the facts. I guarantee it doesn't happen on a dock, in person... But it happens on the internet.

So yes, a little sensitive, but not overly so.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #256
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Bayliner supporter

Well said......

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #257
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Tom,
Oriented Stranded Board. Joke. My bad.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #258
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Honestly it used to happen allot more, but Bayliner owners are pretty good at pointing out the facts. I guarantee it doesn't happen on a dock, in person... But it happens on the internet.
Honestly the boats have done more than any owners to lessen the talk. They're stubborn, they stick around, they're survivors. It seems to me the older they get, the more impressive they become. They tend to catch that boat that was considered by many to be better when new or even when five years old. And they're everywhere. It's hard to get on the water and not see them.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:33 AM   #259
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I don't care what boat you have. -- Hope you're in love with it. -- I'm only concerned you handle the boat in a seaman-like manner, following protocol. Which my fellow TF SFBay/Delta boaters qualify.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:33 AM   #260

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>all other components are "standard" marine stuff.<

That covers a lot of ground , a maceriator could be a Galley Maid or Obendorfer ay a grand a pop, or Jabsco for $100.

Big difference in living with and servicing the different tho >standard < mechanicals.

Context my friend context ...

In the same class of boats the equipment is of the same/similar quality and quantity as LOA changes from 30 something to 40, and then to 40 something.

Okay, one might get an extra ice maker or TV, and extra length of wires and pex tubes, some extra planks and paneling for longer/bigger interior, etc.

The hull/deck on the other hand gains volume of material and corresponding labor with every feet of LOA.

This is what I have tried to convey ... the component costs within same boat class/brand, and not between broad range of boats.