Old 03-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post

A even better idea would be to fabricate below the waterline in steel and make the topsides, decks and superstructure in alloy ; no maintenance other than antifoul, ever!
That is the most common approach to building yachts 200'+. If greater speed is desired then aluminum below the water line. However, much like many military and commercial vessels, once you pass a certain size, there really is no choice currently as fiberglass is out of the equation. At this time, the largest fiberglass boats I'm aware of are around 164'. I think we'll see that stretched upward a little.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: Doha
There are minesweepers built of fiberglass, some pushing 200ft if I recall right, but those are specialized applications.

Have any of you ever seen the full stainless steel Detroit 16V-71's that were used in minesweepers? AMAZING to look at! I had aluminum block 6-71's in my boat that were the gensets from WW2 minesweeps. Didn't really like them though because of galvanic corrosion.

makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #23
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
You can run the boat up on shore without damage. This type is very popular in the PNW and Alaska
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original-14951-817-2012_1_20-023-c.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	49466   Click image for larger version

Name:	original-14951-816-2012_1_20-004.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	49467  
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #24
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Old School is aluminum, hull and house. House is painted white, hull and deck unpainted. The paint has held up well; splashed in 1993 and not repainted to the best of my knowledge. Only the round handholds on the cabin roof are flaking off and will be repainted. Two of the hatches are wood, one over the rear door and one over the forward cabin. Now going thru stripping and revarnishing both, wish there was no wood at all. Just finished a repaint/refurb of port and starboard doors. She was built by Hike Metal Products in Wheatley, Ontario. Website below if you want to check them out.
hikemetalboatshipvesselbuilders.com
Love that aluminium.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #25
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Old School is aluminum, hull and house. House is painted white, hull and deck unpainted. The paint has held up well; splashed in 1993 and not repainted to the best of my knowledge. Only the round handholds on the cabin roof are flaking off and will be repainted. Two of the hatches are wood, one over the rear door and one over the forward cabin. Now going thru stripping and revarnishing both, wish there was no wood at all. Just finished a repaint/refurb of port and starboard doors. She was built by Hike Metal Products in Wheatley, Ontario. Website below if you want to check them out.
hikemetalboatshipvesselbuilders.com
Love that aluminium.
Do you have to be ocd about the bottom paint ? Do you repair scratches straight away, or leave them until your yearly haul out?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #26
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
Do you have to be ocd about the bottom paint ? Do you repair scratches straight away, or leave them until your yearly haul out?
I had the bottom repainted maybe 3 years ago. My slip is in freshwater (river) and is now covered in green crud. There's a boat repair outfit w/ travelift in Mandeville LA so I'm going there and get her hauled and pressure washed. Then I'll be able to decide on new bottom paint or not. No ocd here about bottom paint. Cabin paint still looks great except as I mentioned in my post.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #27

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Breaux Brothers Enterprises - World Class Excellence in Aluminum Ship Building - Fast Support Vessels - Crewboats - Yachts - Workboats - Passenger Vessels - Pleasure Boats - Pilot Boats - Patrol Vessels - Oil & Gas Vessels - Aluminum Vessels - Alumin

As ddalme posted concerning aluminum boat building in S. La.
Check out this boat builder in our area. Been on several of their boats. Had a 24' sport fishing boat made by them for over 15 years. The hull right now is over 33 years old with a new owner. Still in great shape. Keep bottom painted and you're good to go for many years.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
Breaux Brothers Enterprises - World Class Excellence in Aluminum Ship Building - Fast Support Vessels - Crewboats - Yachts - Workboats - Passenger Vessels - Pleasure Boats - Pilot Boats - Patrol Vessels - Oil & Gas Vessels - Aluminum Vessels - Alumin

As ddalme posted concerning aluminum boat building in S. La.
Check out this boat builder in our area. Been on several of their boats. Had a 24' sport fishing boat made by them for over 15 years. The hull right now is over 33 years old with a new owner. Still in great shape. Keep bottom painted and you're good to go for many years.
For several years, although slowed now, the building of Support Vessels and Crewboats was very busy. Chouest builds their own but had to contract some out. I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if they used Breaux. I'm not familiar with Breaux.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #29

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm not familiar with Breaux.
Next time you're in the BVIs check out the ferries that run from St. Thomas to all the other islands. Most of these ferries are retired oilfield supply vessels that were made by Breaux Brothers then converted to passenger use. These boats still have the original GC placard on the starboard side wall in pilot house area.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Brits and Aussies say it funny aluminium
We spell it differently, therefore pronounce it differently. I remember being asked by a US contingent on a group cycle ride I did in Ireland to say "aluminium", followed by much sniggering. It dawned on me later USA had messed up the spelling, thereby causing their mispronunciation.
The aluminium trailered boat(commonly called " a tinny") is popular in Australia, especially for fishing. Quintrex were the main proponents, they build large numbers of boats of good quality, design, and durability at reasonable (for Australia) cost.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BK. "It dawned on me later USA had messed up the spelling, thereby causing their mispronunciation." Indeed sir...SALOON!