Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #21

RE: Whats the truth about name changes on boats?

Sounds like you had a grand trip. We're still learning how to back ours into the slip, with a single screw it appears we will need alot more practice, however, we had assistance from an experienced sailor who helped us and got it done, as you say..."without incident." Funny, we did precisely the same thing you did, took off the wooden name plates and discovered vinyl letters underneath on the house that had been painted over, if you can believe it. Took me hours, but I got the letters off. Unfortunately, names boards can't be used again. One side has the orig. name "Rum Runner II" routed into the wood, and the other side has the name "Scheherezade" painted on it (which was the name these last owners had). We're thinking even if we sanded off the "Scheherezade" name, there would still be the other name on the other side and I'm superstitious enough to not want to use them. Priced the teak replacement boards and those will cost a pretty penny. I was able to use a hairdyer on the name on the transom and they peeled off relatively easy. Haven't ordered up vinyl name decals yet, but will soon. This is all exciting stuff, is it not!!!

Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #22

Should probably start a new thread on this, but inasmuch as its a pretty simple question, will just post here. Can any of you suggest a good logbook. I see online there are numerous different brands. Is there one anyone would care to recommend? We topped off the fuel tanks when we launched back into the water after the bottomjob and I want to record price, gallons and hours on boat, so need to get something bought here soon. Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Pattik

Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

I'm using the logbook from the PO, and it has all the engine hours etc.* I'm working on creating a "boat computer" that will have Garmin Mapsource etc installed upon it to get waypoints etc into the GPS locally.***I plan on duplicating all log entries on the computer first since I can type much better than I can write.* Maybe I will write an app for ships logs....

I have twin screws so backing was pretty simple even with a cross wind.** I had a problem because it was a Full Moon low tide, so I ran aground on the other side of the channel, but other than that it was smooth!
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #24

Log book from the PO??? Whats the PO
Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Previous Owner.* Luckily he kept very detailed records.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #26

Oh...guess I should have figured that one out. THere is a PO logbook on our boat as well, just felt like I should start a new one.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Rocky wrote:

Should probably start a new thread on this, but inasmuch as its a pretty simple question, will just post here. Can any of you suggest a good logbook.
We didn't find any of the published logbooks to be of much value.* So I created my own logsheet using the logs we use for the floatplanes as a basis.* There are two columns, one for each engine.* The upper part of the column has engine hours set up so you always subtract start hours from stop hours to get total trip hours, then that is added to generate total hours on each engine.* The lower part of the columns track oil change hours and time since oil change for both the main engines and their injection pumps (this last wouldn't be needed on anything other than an FL120).* The generator oil change interval and time since change are tracked, filter change times ,etc.* There is a box on the right side of the page for comments.

So that's our every day log.

We also have a logbook to track maintenance and repairs by date or engine hours.

We bought a published logbook for trip notes and data but found we never used it.* So we put that information along with notes on anything interesting we saw or did in the comments box on the right side of the engine log form.* So one form does everything for us in terms of day to* day operation.* This wouldn't work for people who like to make copious notes on what they did, saw, etc. on every trip, but we just note the highights so it fits on the same page as the engine info.* Each page holds two trips.

So you might find it more useful to design your own page with the information and data that's meaningful to you organized in a way that makes sense to you.* I didn't find that any of the published logbooks did this for us.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #28
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I created mine in Word, after not finding anything out there that I liked. I'd be happy to send it to anyone interested; I've got a single engine version and a twin engine version from my last boat. I have them wire bound at FedEx/Kinko's (do they even use the Kinko's name any more?) The plastic comb binding isn't reliable enough. keith@anastasia3.com
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #29

Keith,

I'd love it if you'd send it to me. Since our CHB is a single screw, that would be the one to send. Send to pattik@nctv.com.

I think they still call 'em Kinkos or did "The UPS Stores" buy up the Kinkos, not sure, but we have something similar around our neck of the woods.
Thanks again,
pattik