What's the story on Navigator Yachts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fair warning....my husband likes to reinvent the wheel at times.......:hide:

C`mon...Tom knows what he`s doing. He did a great job on your last boat. Probably made it safer, more valuable and easier to sell. It sure looked pretty, too!

C`mon...Tom knows what he`s doing. He did a great job on your last boat. Probably made it safer, more valuable and easier to sell. It sure looked pretty, too!

Yea, that too! :D

No. The way I understand it... Jule owned Californian, then sold THAT to the parent company of Carver(?), then bought it back. Then killed the brand and started Navigator.

Jule owned Californian and sold it then bought back twice. Started Navigator after selling Californian the first time. Last time he bought it back from company who bought it from Carver. He was building both Navigator and Californian until sold both I think in 2013. Not sure if either are being built today.

Jule owned Californian and sold it then bought back twice. Started Navigator after selling Californian the first time. Last time he bought it back from company who bought it from Carver. He was building both Navigator and Californian until sold both I think in 2013. Not sure if either are being built today.

Thanks for the thread bump. Interesting backstory that I wouldn't have read before. Lol

I'm looking at buying a 1999 5800 here in the near future. I've been asking questions in another thread about fuel economy, since the brochures mention it as a selling point; this has caused some debate, and I'd like to ask some current large navigator owners so I can get a straighter answer.

What kind of gph are you seeing at various speeds on your large navigator?

Join the Navigator Owners Facebook page.

Genmar owned Carver and bought Californian from Jule Marshall, who got the better of the deal at that time. He was always keeping an eye on the Californian trademark and Genmar let it lapse and he picked it up on the cheap, much to the chagrin of Genmar. That makes two times that Jule out foxed Genmar, something that did not happen very often in those days. They brought the old Californian molds to Perris where they where destroyed as part of the agreements, they were in bad shape anyways and the brand name was what was important to Jule.

He used the brand name to come out with a more entry level 39’ Californian model built on the 42 Navigator platform. A lot of boat for the money and well built.

Not many people know that the first Californian was something around a 19’ runabout designed by Jack Hargrave and built in the late 60’s. Jack offered to design the next one for ‘free’ and settle for a royalty on production boats, but Jule turned him down.

Only can imagine how the brand would have gone with a west coast builder of Jack Hargrave designs, but it was not meant to be as Jule was intent on using his own design skills, that was his real enjoyment with boats.

PacBlue, thanks for posting. I periodically do some work in the Perris area, so I always wondered where that factory was located. I won’t spill the beans, but putting the pieces together on your posts here and a different forum; I think I know who you are/work for :)

Closing this week on a 1997 Navigator 53 in St. Pete FL. Another east coaster joins the ranks. This one has a two stateroom layout with twin 73Ps. Cant wait to start crawling around the "basement". Any one know who made the original water maker? The one on In-Motion has been removed.

There wasn’t much of a factory standard for water makers at the factory, it would usually come done to owner or dealer preference as specified when ordered.

There were a couple of well known watermaker brands in California , FCI was one and there was another one that escapes my mind. Some were mounted component style while others were self contained units, but it shouldn’t matter as you should get what works best in your region.

Gotcha... I was just curious if there was a “standard” one used so I could plug n play. Same question on the ice maker. Evidently it went south and was earlier removed. Really too bad about the buyer not continuing the tradition(s). On the YouTube videos the molds look like their just rusting away outside.

The factory installed ice makers where almost exclusively from Raritan, they should fit just fine.

Back
Top Bottom