What's this rack for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
My daughter is moving into an 1880-1890s residence in Washington DC. This rack is mounted to the brick wall immediately inside the front door.

We're trying to figure out what its function is. I've guessed umbrella stand, shoe rack, and purse hanger but I seriously doubt any are correct.

Have you seen something like this before? Any ideas?

Attachments

• mystery rack.jpg
    mystery rack.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 236
More pics...

Attachments

• mystery rack3.jpg
    mystery rack3.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 193
  • mystery rack2.jpg
    mystery rack2.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 199
  • mystery rack1.jpg
    mystery rack1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 197
I vote umbrella holder, or maybe wine rack!!

I'm thinking shoe rack . Don't take down it might be holding those old bricks up .

Last edited:
Are you wondering about the things you're finding on your brick boat?

Modern day art. It doesn't have to have a use.

It's located directly next to the main entry door.

I'm going to guess there were small bowls/dishes that fit into each one....perhaps held keys, change, mail...... if not that, then a baseball cap holder.

This a boating page... it's a life jacket dryer or Topsider shoe rack

some hooks where to chain your guest children so they don't run everywhere :rofl:

L.

That is an envelope stand.

In olden, and in fact modern days, houses that were owned by politicians had such a rack right inside their front door.

As the help answered the door they may have been presented with a person who wanted to talk with the representative. The help would have nodded to the rack and an envelope would have been placed there.

The help would have then politely closed the door and informed the master. He would have checked the envelope and acertained how much help he was willing to give based on the donation. He would put the donation back into the envelope to show that he hadn't see it so was not so obviously subsequently influenced by the amount.

The multiple layers was because he would see may people that way in short succession before removing the cash at the end of the evening.,

Flower pot holder

Looks like it would be good for all the scarfs my wife has at the front door. Works in Canada!

In DC I would vote hat rack. Looking at the welds and the screw mounts I'd place it in the 20's or 30's when hats were standard. In Washington you would have left your shoes on...

Modern day art. It doesn't have to have a use.

Hey - Be very careful using my name! I do still need to have a use!! :lol: :dance:

It's for utilization as a thang holder... that's obvious.

Art

There must be a special reason for the unusual shape of the "front hoop". It's not a simple arc or a uniform bend. Took more time to make that way so there must be a reason for it.

I was with RT for the hat rack but it still dosn,t explain the unusual shape of the "brail" ... is that the right word? The shape looks like the silhouette of a car from the side but I can't connect it to anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom