Old 05-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
What's in a Pilot House?

What's in a pilothouse? My ideal pilothouse has a berth, chart table and night lighting. It would have dogged side doors, dutch for those fresh cool breezes! And plenty of overhead mounting space for additional electronics to compliment a full length console large enough for multiple 12" displays and monitor. Good views aft are also important as is an overhead hatch for ventilation. Above all, a comfortable helms chair, capable of lulling me to sleep. Selene and Nordhavn houses seem to impress me. What's in your Pilothouse?
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My pilothouse substantially qualifies. (Dutch doors with dogs, chart table, night lighting,360-degree views, overhead hatch, and only missing a berth, but then it's only 35-feet long.)

Old 05-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cooper View Post
What's in a pilothouse? My ideal pilothouse has a berth, chart table and night lighting. It would have dogged side doors, dutch for those fresh cool breezes! And plenty of overhead mounting space for additional electronics to compliment a full length console large enough for multiple 12" displays and monitor. Good views aft are also important as is an overhead hatch for ventilation. Above all, a comfortable helms chair, capable of lulling me to sleep. Selene and Nordhavn houses seem to impress me. What's in your Pilothouse?
Have:
Berth, Laptop table, night lighting, 2 side doors, over head hatches, engine heat and air conditioning, and a Stidd chair.

Heading South in the dark last winter.

Pictures before my refit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MC14.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	52395

Name:	MC18.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	52396

Name:	MC17.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	52397

No paper charts anymore, so no chart table. Have 3 independent electronic devices with charts.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
Master and Commander

Sorry, OC. You do not have Dutch doors, and dogs are obviously absent.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
I think your list is pretty good. Black ceiling panels helps with light control at night, and that brings up another important feature (at least to me). Good light control from other parts of the boat.

It's good if people can be active and using other parts of the boat, i.e. lights on, without light leaking into the PH. This is one of the issues I have with Flemings and Grand Banks Grand Alaskans, for example. The pilot houses are more like pilot stations and are open to the salon, galley, etc. To have lights out in the PH, you are forced to have lights out in major living areas in the boat. The very worst offenders are the Dashew boats with their "great room" design. I just scratch my head over that one.

A while back there was a "show us your helm" thread that contains a lot of pictures of different helms and pilot houses.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
Master and Commander

Yes, I prefer and have a pilothouse separate from the saloon and other spaces. Don't hardly sail at night with the distraction of other cabin lights, but then there is the opportunity.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
We have sliding doors, a big aft hatch for ventilation and access to the boat deck, and a comfortable settee. No berth, although I think that would be very nice.

The last photo is the view from the pilothouse into the main living deck.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #8

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
Good post about the open salon design...definitely not for me although it typically provides better views when backing down. Still, not enough trade-off for me.
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #9

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
2 side doors but not Dutch door, no bed but chart table and a nice flags rack

101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sorry, OC. You do not have Dutch doors, and dogs are obviously absent.
With my pilothouse elevation above sea level, the dutch doors are unnecessary and sliders offer far more choice in air flow than the open or closed dutch door.

Name:	MC1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	52398

As for the dogs on doors, I smart enough to know that I'll never be out in conditions that require them.

Ted
Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #11

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Funny that these doors are known in the US as Dutch Doors, we dutch call them Farm Doors "Boerderijdeuren" and these doors are not often used in our houses.

http://www.houtendeurenenbeslag.nl/buitendeuren.html
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cooper View Post
I really like your list. The only two things I would add is a small table to set a drink, plate, or book for the folks sitting on the bench seat and reverse raked windows. The windows aren't in the PH, but would be nice.

I like my Pilothouse, but I am missing the berth, table, and the wannabe windows. I don't have Dutch doors, but as someone else mentioned, the sliders work really well and I will not be cruising in the open ocean so dogged doors are not needed. No overhead hatch, but could add that. View aft is not good.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
With my pilothouse elevation above sea level, the dutch doors are unnecessary and sliders offer far more choice in air flow than the open or closed dutch door.
Regardless, the dogs and rubber seals keep out dirty-air contaminants. Have several doors, hatches, and multiple windows which can be manipulated to create most any desirable air blow. Meanwhile, the lower halfs of the Dutch doors are good at keeping spray on the outside while providing unrestricted views as well as a "railroad engineer's" perspective.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #14
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
That's a great photo Mark.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Regardless, the dogs and rubber seals keep out dirty-air contaminants. Have several doors, hatches, and multiple windows which can be manipulated to create most any desirable air blow. Meanwhile, the lower halfs of the Dutch doors are good at keeping spray on the outside while providing unrestricted views as well as a "railroad engineer's" perspective.

You wrote, "the dogs and rubber seals keep out dirty-air contaminants".

Then you post a picture of you in a coal or wood steam engine. The few coal fired steam engines I've been in were filthy with coal dust everywhere. Guess you missed the irony of what you posted.

Ted
Old 05-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #16
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

You wrote, "the dogs and rubber seals keep out dirty-air contaminants".

Then you post a picture of you in a coal or wood steam engine. The few coal fired steam engines I've been in were filthy with coal dust everywhere. Guess you missed the irony of what you posted.

Ted
I suppose so. Actually, the engine is oil-fired; a Shay geared locomotive located in Felton (Railroad Town). My engineer role was a result of my workmates retirement gift in 2002. Originally, the locomotive ("Dixie Shay") was wood-fired.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #17
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
I know for certain the helm seat in my Puget Trawler is pretty sad! That and the foot rest on the dash panel is too low for me, but I can move that up. But that seat really needs help. Only have one slider door at the helm, of course being what it is, just about everything else is just behind the helm. My helm looks absolutely nakie compared to some I have seen on TT. All I have is what it came with, a GBS hanging on the underside of the overhead panel, a radar and a compass. But at that its more than I am used to. Of course there is a VHF and a dig sounder on the instrument panel as well.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #18
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
Funny that these doors are known in the US as Dutch Doors, we dutch call them Farm Doors "Boerderijdeuren" and these doors are not often used in our houses.
I'm rebuilding my pilothouse now, so I'm relying on this thread to tell me all I need to include. I already know I need a set of sliding dutch doors with big dogs. The rest of it will be patterned after a Walmart miniature version of 101TUG, a spectacular example.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:30 AM   #19
Guru

City: Seattle
I'm going in a different direction:
  • I want nothing in front of me except the wheel and a magnetic compass. The helmsman's job is to steer to a course. Most of the time this will be my daughter;
  • The console needs to be extremely shallow. I want my nose pressed against the front glass;
  • Everything else goes into the overhead console. Only exception might be the radar;
  • Next to the helmsman will sit the watchkeeper. On that side of the overhead are instruments and electronics that need to be shared, like the radio. Most of the time this will be my seat;
  • Not enough room for a chart table, so the full size chart board (with corkboard surface) will either be mounted vertically to the bulkhead or overhead on a piano hinge.
I've used these layouts on previous boats and they work well for me. Bear in mind that for my new bespoke construction I'm going old-school, not starship enterprise. To each his own.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:29 AM   #20
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Mine has my lovely bride in it with a smile on her face.....

Which means......

It's 72.5ºF in there.....
It's not rolling too much.
The view is nice.
The Captain (that's me) is not cursing whilst looking at NAV or Engine instruments.
We are within 3-5 hours of a comfortable marina/anchorage.
The steaks are marinating.
The wine coolers are in the chiller.

What's in your dog house?