Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
RE: What's in a name?

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Naming a boat after a girlfriend or wife is a bit of a cop-out. And it's disrespectful to the boat.
Mmm. She paid for most of it so, at my suggestion, she got her name on it. Don't know if that's necessarily a cop out. And saying that doing so is disrepecftul of the boat is indirectly casting an aspersion at the person for whom the boat is named. About 90% of the fishing boats around her are named for a spouse or kids or a combination thereof. Come on over to a fisherman's gathering after they have all had a few and repeat that please. We need winter some entertainment around here.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #122
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

I named my 54' sport fisher "Bank Shot." I'm a basket ball freak and I love to fish the 9 & 12 mile banks, off of San Diego, when the Marlin arrive.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #123

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C

I dont have a trawler yet but m26' center console is named ,ENDORFIN, There is a dinghy in Sarasota,Fla. named, ROWvsWADE. pretty funny. BB
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #124
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

David,
Power went out*** ....see my correction. Yes there are many reasons why a boat has it's name and I generalized too much. Thanks for the quick heads up as I got that right out of the post.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #125
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

I would think twice about going to sea on a boat whose name was a joke. Surly there is enough time in this world to make jokes without making the name of your boat a joke as well.* ....* And it's amazing how self centered boat owners can be as they frequently put the name of the town/city where THEY live rather than the boats home port.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 6th of February 2011 11:13:42 AM
I entirely agree with Eric's first comment about silly boat names, but not the second one on "home port."

The purpose of the home-port designation is to better identify the boat since there are very few unique names.* ("Carquinez Coot," however, is unique as far as USCG-documented boats/ships go, although there are many "Coots.")* One isn't required to have the actual home port shown as in having to change it if you move to a different port.* One's home town, even thousands of miles away from the boat's actual home port, is fine with me and the USCG.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

David,
Power went out*** ....see my correction. Yes there are many reasons why a boat has it's name and I generalized too much. Thanks for the quick heads up as I got that right out of the post.
No foul, no harm. But now the fun is gone.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #127
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

I'm a little offended that you think it's self-centered for me to have my home port be my hometown. My home port has changed once already... and will many more times in the future. I have no intention of changing the lettering every time I decide to enjoy a new view.

And as for funny (less-than-serious) names? You can kiss my grits in that too. Boating is supposed to be fun. It's not a business to us and to take it so seriously that you look down your nose at those of us that like to try and put a smile on people's face when they see our name is very elitist and snobby. You enjoy boating your way and let us enjoy it in ours. Thanks.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #128
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

There*can be*very good legal and financial reasons to have the home port at times different than where you keep*the boat. Especially if it is*USCG documented vessel normally berthed or cruising out of the US.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #129
RED

Our last boat was named Ichigo. The Admiral is a long time student of the Japanese arts; she is a master in the Tea ceremony and flower arranging, and so we have used Japanese words for the names of our boats. I had looked at the boat, and suggested that she come along on the next visit. She came aboard, took a breif tour, and then sat down in the salon, looked at me and the broker, and said "this is the one". So much for any negotiating strategy! Any way, Ichigo is a loose translation of "this is the one". As is the case with a lot of japanese translation, there is also a second, deeper meaning which is "one time, one meeting"; similar to the western thought of "I might not pass this way again". For us, every anchorage or harbor is a unique experience. We might return, but there are different boats, people, weather, so each time is different.

Our present boat is named KOKI. When we sold Ichigo due to my wife's handicap and somewhat failing health, we thought we were getting out of boating, but as we all know on this forum, its in our blood. so after a breif hiatus, we bought this boat. Again a Japanese name, KOKI translates roughly to second time around, golden opportunity, as in living out the second half with gusto.
RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #130
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

"Here Fishey Fishey" is cute to be sure but how can anyone not be serious about their boat's name. I would think twice about going to sea on a boat whose name was a joke. Surly there is enough time in this world to make jokes without making the name of your boat a joke as well.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 6th of February 2011 11:13:42 AM
I might be wrong but I always thought your boat's name was "Willy" ??...

When I was growing up I had a aunt who always reffered to little boy's "unit's"* as a "Willy".... so I guess how we look at a boat's name has something to do with how we each define* a word...

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #131
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote

When I was growing up I had a aunt who always reffered to little boy's "unit's"* as a "Willy".... so I guess how we look at a boat's name has something to do with how we each define* a word...
Man, you're really gonna stir the pot with that one.

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #132

City: Southampton
Vessel Name: ANDROMEDA
Vessel Model: MAINSHIP 400

Here is a great *Project Boat name *ODTAA.

One Dam Thing After Another
SOMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
KJ wrote:

hollywood8118 wrote

Aww, gonna have to be a small pot. It doesn't appear from his avatar that his Willy is that big. The fun is back.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #134
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:

KJ wrote:

hollywood8118 wrote

Aww, gonna have to be a small pot. It doesn't appear from his avatar that his Willy is that big. The fun is back.

Are you saying, that*the size of a man can be judged by the size of his boat?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #135
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
KJ wrote:

dwhatty wrote:

KJ wrote:

hollywood8118 wrote

Are you saying, that*the size of a man can be judged by the size of his boat?

Note to self:* Buy a bigger boat!

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #136
Veteran Member

I just bought a Californian 34 named "Serenade" that we are thinking of renaming, no firm ideas yet.

There is a good boat name story out of our yacht club. A fellow bought a neglected Cal 20 sailboat which needed plenty of work. One day he was spotted lovingly painting "Alga Y" on the transom. He was asked what he was doing. "Well, I am repainting the name after removing the decals".

He was told "that's not the name, that boat came from Calgary and the C and r have fallen off".

The boat is named Alga Y to this day.

Roger
Mappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #137
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
What's in a name?

I have a little rowboat that is presently called "touch". I am waiting for the t to fall off, as I will prefer the name "ouch" when it comes. The rowboat was once the tender for a sailboat in our YC called "Cartouche".

-- Edited by koliver on Sunday 6th of February 2011 10:23:35 PM
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #138
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Gentlemen, Marin and Ken,
I stand by my post on this matter. Unless there's something I need to know about it documented tonnage on a pleasure boat is ego centered and very much out of place. Perhaps in some cases it gets the owner out of certain taxes or some other evasive act.
If you ask the King what vessels in the Kingdom should have registered tonnage if he is a fair and just king he'll probably say not yachts.
If one moves around too much just leave off the home port if you're too lazy to change it and make it correct. This forum has changed my mind on a number of things but I'll never make a joke out of the name of my boat. One could accuse me of improprieties on my own boat as her name is not feminine. We made nic-names for all the boats we looked at to make it easier to talk about them and we talked about "Willy" so much it stuck. My bad**** ...but it stuck. However, I will not put Ellensburg under the name. (There's no water near Ellensburg)
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #139
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

However, I will not put Ellensburg under the name. (There's no water near Ellensburg)
There's the Yakima River.....

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #140
KJ
El Capitan

What's in a name?

Quote:
koliver wrote:

I have a little rowboat that is presently called "touch". I am waiting for the t to fall off, as I will prefer the name "ouch" when it comes. The rowboat was once the tender for a sailboat in our YC called "Cartouche".

-- Edited by koliver on Sunday 6th of February 2011 10:23:35 PM
I think you should*leave the "t" and put the "e" back.* "TOUCHE"

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 6th of February 2011 11:53:18 PM