Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #101

RE: What's in a name?

Not sure I'd ever do this, but speaking of mothers, my grandmother's name was Alpha Omega Quisenberry....wouldn't want to use the whole thing, but Alpha Omega might be a cool name on a boat.

Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #102
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

You could put Alpha. The begining, on the front and Omega the end, on the stern.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #103

Quote:
JMYSS wrote:

"Sally Lynn"********************* Wives come and go but mothers are forever........
I am going to get a trademark for that quote, sell it to Hallmark for mothers day cards, and retire......

Luckily my first and only wife does not read these boards....

JMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #104
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

You sly devil.
*What was your wifes email address again.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #105

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

We bought our Krogen already named Fluke. We think of a whales tail, but buying her was a fluke like a lucky shot in billiards.

Being in the Seattle area , we are sometimes asked if this has anything to do with John Fluke (multi-meter maker). My response is "No, I think he has a mush bigger boat".
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #106
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
xfedex wrote:

We bought our Krogen already named Fluke. We think of a whales tail, but buying her was a fluke like a lucky shot in billiards.

Being in the Seattle area , we are sometimes asked if this has anything to do with John Fluke (multi-meter maker). My response is "No, I think he has a mush bigger boat".
The Fluke family has maintained a private island in NW Washington (Vendovi Island) for many years, including about an 80 to 100 foot dock with 50 amp shorepower for a couple fifty foot boats. It's very possible that John Sr or Jr could have owned your boat at one time. Senior died in 1984, so if it were his boat, it would be pre '84. I believe the family still owns the island, but the company was sold several years ago to a much larger corporation.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #107
Guru

Our boat was named "Happy Destiny" when we bought it in 1995. We were determined not to keep that name, but... we never found a name we liked better, and eventually decided it made too much sense to change it. Thought about Wet Dream, but it seemed so cliche.*
Old 12-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #108

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Our boat was almost new when we bought her. No Fluke Mfg connection. Interesting that Vendovi Is. is or was recently for sale. Auction actually.

See:

http://blog.luxuryrealestate.com/art...september-30th
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #109
Guru

Quote:
xfedex wrote:

Our boat was almost new when we bought her. No Fluke Mfg connection. Interesting that Vendovi Is. is or was recently for sale. Auction actually.

See:

http://blog.luxuryrealestate.com/art...september-30th

I think John Srs. boys did have boats up to about seventy feet, as my memory serves. John Senior is buried in a private family cemetary on the island. Based on your information, I think I will opt for the whale fluke connection.

Thanks for the link. I knew there was talk of selling the island. i wonder if they got a buyer?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #110
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Rocky wrote:On a side note, I've always thought a good name would be "Don't Panic", would be perfect for me as I'm the queen of panic.
Some commercial lobsterboats we saw on Prince Edward Island last year....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	don't panic.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	3684   Click image for larger version

Name:	don't panic yet.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	3685   Click image for larger version

Name:	lobster12.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	3686   Click image for larger version

Name:	name1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	3687  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #111

"Floatsome and Jetsome". One of my clients with a 72' Hatteras and private jet......
Old 12-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #112
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
JMYSS wrote:

"Floatsome and Jetsome". One of my clients with a 72' Hatteras and private jet......
Man I love that.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #113
Veteran Member

One of our original boats was a Cougar 35 Predator - a 35' narrow streak of low in the water race bred hull. We called her L'eau Profile making a play on the French word for water 'eau'.

When we upgraded to the Fleming (complete opposite type pf boat, I know! But I'd had my fun with speed, now I wanted family time) we were thinking hard for a new name. We wanted to keep the idea of using the word 'eau'. Ideas started with 'Eau No!', progressed to 'Uh Eau!', and ended when our youngest son said, 'It's Dad's new toy - it must be Play d'eau.'

In case you don't get the twist in this, in the UK, Play Dough is a well know kid's toy....
Piers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #114
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

I think the whole world must be familiar with playdough.....we thought it was a NZ invention till we found it in Oz as well.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #115

I always wanted to use "Sin'r Swim" , maybe "Sin or Swim" something along those lines if I ever had a big sexy sportfish or go-fast boat. Somehow it does not fit a trawler though.......
Old 12-19-2010, 04:56 AM   #116

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan

I held off posting this as I wasn't sure anybody would be interested in a "family" story.*When we made the jump from outboards to inboards, we started in an Albin 28, great hull just a little tight for cruising. My wife and I covered a lot of the Chesapeake in that boat; 18+ kts will let you do that. Well our oldest daughter delivered our 1st grandchild 5 years ago and while I was holding Grace Virginia in the hospital at 2 days old, she "whispered" that I now needed a bigger boat. She was born at Thanksgiving and when she was 6 months old, she was cruising with us on "Amazing Grace". The Admiral was in no position to object.
Grace now has a 2 year old brother, Alex.....I've always admired a Defever or a Flemming...
yeah, that's it...........but what to name it?
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #117

City: Southampton
Vessel Name: ANDROMEDA
Vessel Model: MAINSHIP 400

Over *the last 50 *years we have had lots of boats , they all had names which for us had to have a special relation ship and it is for that *reason that i think that some may call their boat " Molly B29" *or *IOU. or Out a Debt.

We here also name our homes to give them a more personal touch, could it be that an *ill chosen name would devalue a *boat.

It is often said that changing the name of a boat invites bad luck, that is Rubbish.

You just bought a boat that has a name that relates to a previous owners world *that is *just wonderful *for him, that boat is now yours so give your boat a new life and with it a new name.

What is in a name well it is " the sweetest sound in any language"

How important is a name well if you are calling for assistance on harbor radio then the name* most likely should be able to be clearly understood, our latest boat was called Synopsis that is a lot of SSS. We changed the name to Andromeda, we hope that tells a story that goes back in history, we are not Greek but the Greeks are a great sea fairing nation i respect them *for that.

So if you are not happy with the name your boat came with or you are having second thoughts on your first choice. *By all means Change the Name. Do it now.
There is a web page with 10,000 boat names A *to Z

Mr Father told me you are what you want to be and what you are is what you are going to be.
SOMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #118
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

We were going to use "Last Boat III"* or "Last Boat* 1* 2* 3"* and have a slash through the 1* and the 2.* But Last Boat is real common in the USCG registry.

So we went with "Stella di Mare"*for which the literal*translation is "Star of the Sea" but in*Italian it is also the*name*for the fish known as the*Star of the Sea or*a Starfish.

There is a bit more to the story.* We had a list that had maybe ten names on it of which this was not one of them.* We pasted the list by email to several friends and family members to get some help.* One friend Chuck*and his wife Betsy*suggested that we might like "Stella di Mare" as that was the name of her sailboat, that she had for twenty plus years*before they had gotten married five years ago.* We liked the name and it stuck.* The sad part of the story is that Betsy died of a*rapid moving*cancer*less than three months after we named the boat.* We are glad we used the name.* It has some meaning to us now.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #119
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What's in a name?

"Here Fishey Fishey" is cute to be sure but how can anyone not be serious about their boat's name. I would think twice about going to sea on a boat whose name was a joke. Surly there is enough time in this world to make jokes without making the name of your boat a joke as well. Call me a grumpy old man if you will (nobody else has) Ha Ha but I think a boat name is serious business. I designed a boat (very unusual boat) to be soft riding and efficient as well. In that it was both of those things I named her "Easy Rider".
It was just before the movie and that of course ruined my boat name but I felt she was properly named. The name told much to everything about the nature of the boat and was respectful as well***** ...until the silly movie came out. But to me that's what's in a name
....respect and attention givin to some fine stand-out quality of your boat. And it's amazing how self centered boat owners can be as they frequently put the name of the town/city where THEY live rather than the boats home port.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 6th of February 2011 11:13:42 AM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #120
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:And it's amazing how self centered boat owners can be as they frequently put the name of the town/city where THEY live rather than the boats home port.
Boy you can say that again.* We had a boat in our marina in NC that "Aurora CO" as the hailing port.*

JD is offline   Reply With Quote