What's in a name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slow Mo

For our boat that does 10 kts..

That's not so slow to me!!

I used to live in San Diego and there was an old, well tanned guy on rollerblades who would slow motion skate along the boardwalk. He was a fixture in the community and everyone only knew him as Slow Mo. Brings back good beachside memories.

Last edited:
That's not so slow to me!!

I used to live in San Diego and there was an old, well tanned guy on rollerblades who would slow motion skate along the boardwalk. He was a fixture in the community and everyone only knew him as Slow Mo. Brings back good beachside memories.

Gotta wonder about a guy for whom San Diego Slo Mo is a good memory...…

I always made sure my breakfast from Konos on the board walk was well settled before I ran across Slo Mo, the dude creeped me out!

Gotta wonder about a guy for whom San Diego Slo Mo is a good memory...…

I always made sure my breakfast from Konos on the board walk was well settled before I ran across Slo Mo, the dude creeped me out!

It wasn't so much Slow Mo as the beauties I was with at the time. Those were the days...

It wasn't so much Slow Mo as the beauties I was with at the time. Those were the days...

Just razzin' you Fly, any days in San Diego are the days. I love that place. First date with my bride of 30 years was on Slo Mo's beat.

10 MPH is slow......used to be Corp Pilot.......I'm in the slow lane now (retired)

10 MPH is slow......used to be Corp Pilot.......I'm in the slow lane now (retired)

Welcome to the club! I went from 8 miles per minute to 8 MPH. I got used to it...and now I prefer it unless I'm driving my car.

Vessel name MARISO.

A combination of two of our way-beyond-insanely-loved dogs' names: Marina and Sophie.

Mari-So = Marina & Sophie.

Marina (she already had the name when we adopted her) was a goddess, a mixed pooch who loved boating with us more than spiritually possible.

Sophie was the original goddess, a Golden Retriever; she strolled into our lives in 1995 and changed us both for the better forever.

The only issue I have with God is that Dogs have such short lives. The rest I recognize as human failings.

We wished we could have brought both of them along with us on our new boat journeys, so hence the name, MARISO.

Dogs = joy, every day.

Now, we have Lucy Lu and Birdie to guide us gently toward the next anchorage, with their predecessors' name on the floating home we all share.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Attachments

• Coat is getting whiter.jpg
    Coat is getting whiter.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 371.jpg
    371.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Looking for birds to chase.jpg
    Looking for birds to chase.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Marina with cancer.jpg
    Marina with cancer.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Marina & Lu FOG.jpg
    Marina & Lu FOG.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 19
  • The Poochalots.jpg
    The Poochalots.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Sunrise 3.jpg
    Sunrise 3.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to the club! I went from 8 miles per minute to 8 MPH. I got used to it...and now I prefer it unless I'm driving my car.

If I never put my head on a Marriott pillow, it would be toooooo soon!

Oh ya, sold my fast cars too!!!!

Livin the slowwwww life...

Last edited:
My boat was Named Tiger for the first 2 owners. 3rd renamed "Hunky Dory" (clever eh?) but that could not stay and, thankfully, was never painted on the transom. Now "heron" after our last and favorite boat, a Bristol 35.5......We feel right at home with that.
Even painted her the same Aristo Blue....

A common trait of fighter pilots (not that you were one), I believe.

I saw this docu-video about Slomo a few years ago. Very interesting fellow (and well done video)!

https://youtu.be/Xn87-mcnoVc

When we bought our boat the name was ARIEL. Now I know Ariel was a spirit in one of Shakespeare's plays, and was the name of a British warship - but all anybody thought about was Little Mermaid :banghead:. My wife and I both sing in our church choir with a very skilled and demanding choir director. While rehearsing some music (shortly after purchasing our boat) the director said to the choir 'don't you know what that means?', referring to the word 'Adagio' over the line of music. It hit me right there - ADAGIO (our new name) is a musical term for 'slow tempo', or literally translated 'at ease'. :thumb::thumb: And yes, I went through the proper ceremony, with Neptune getting his share of Champagne.:rofl::rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom