Old 04-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #141
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Classes and conferences always take away from the fun stuff. I enjoy many classes on many subjects, but it's always what I could be doing instead.
Conference was great. Many good presentations, networking with acquaintances, and some very good dinners. Missed my bed rocking gently at night.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #142
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't have any concrete numbers or anything on this. However, by observation it sure seems that a lot of people who haul their boats for the winter experience problems when they launch in the spring. I've seen it in different areas too. Is it just appearance to an outsider or really problematic? I've never hauled a boat for the winter but do realize many have no choice.

Is the time it's hauled just the same as if it had been left in the water? More problems? Fewer problems?
BandB,
I don't like hauling in the winter. Scares me. Every and any drop of water will freeze. And thaw ...... and freeze ..
Even in Alaska we had almost no problems from cold. All the problems (mostly) were caused by water and oil leaks. Rain rain rain and the only time for painting or varnishing was in the summer when we wanted to go boating.
When people go shopping for a boat the problems they are wary of is usually water caused problems. And if a boat leaks on the hard the water will freeze and likely will cause problems .. likely expensive.
I'd much rather be floating in my boat slip.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #143
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I'd much rather be floating in my boat slip.
Me too if I had a choice, but even with bubblers my slip would freeze solid like two feet of concrete and my boat would get crunched like Franklin's Erebus at the North Pole (fresh water, South Dakota).
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:28 PM   #144

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Just got back from sailing across the Gulf of Mexico from Isla Muheres to Clear Lake Texas with some friends returning from cruising the western Carribean. What a great boat. It was a 47' Lien Hwa Sea Master motor sailer with an emphasis on sail! It has a Perkins 4-236 like the ones in mine and since we had little wind we ran it most of the way (about 770 miles). What a sweet running engine. This was my first long passage and it was a great 5 day crossing. We even caught a 58" long Mahi Mahi along the way. What fun that was, and tasty!

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #145
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
kthoennes,
Yup ..
South Dakota is a lot colder than SE Alaska.
Our boat was solid in 3" of ice at one point because of the fresh water from the Thorne River. Was strange stepping aboard w no movement at all.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:43 PM   #146
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallswede View Post
Just got back from sailing across the Gulf of Mexico from Isla Muheres to Clear Lake Texas with some friends returning from cruising the western Carribean. What a great boat. It was a 47' Lien Hwa Sea Master motor sailer with an emphasis on sail! It has a Perkins 4-236 like the ones in mine and since we had little wind we ran it most of the way (about 770 miles). What a sweet running engine. This was my first long passage and it was a great 5 day crossing. We even caught a 58" long Mahi Mahi along the way. What fun that was, and tasty!

Kevin

We fished some of the way from Galveston across to key west. But we didn't catch anything. Bet it tasted great!
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #147
Veteran Member

City: Brownsville, WA
The Admiral is out of town this week. Tonight I am drinking beer and enjoying the cheap waterfront property.
mgdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:31 AM   #148
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: In bed with hubby watching the Golden State Warriors show what caring and team work are about to the team with the least heart and desire of any talented NBA team I've ever seen. Sir Beard Star-a-Lot just watches on defense as players run by him and complains because their center jokes a lot. They long ago quit on this season. I don't like quitters. GS up 22 points at halftime while playing without their best player in a closeout game (win or go home for Houston). Said center at least has a bunch of offensive rebounds on the bearded one's and teammates misses.

Unfortunately our beloved Heat played our more beloved Hornets tonight so we had to root against them. That was hard.

GS up 33 now in the 3rd.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:49 AM   #149

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
[QUOTE=Ski in NC;436730]Building a dirt house. Basically a remodel by "Caterpillar".

Ski,
We are doing the same thing. The house will be SIP (structural insulated panel) super insulated. Te site work and foundation is done. House starts going up 6 June the day after we get home from Greece.

Rob