What's everybody doing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heading out for a short cruise & swim with 12 on board. A little crowded for my liking, but we won't be going far. 35C today (95F) so there will be a few dive bombs off the pilothouse roof.

Tomorrow, I'll be doing a solo trip back to Kangaroo Island, to pick up my dinghy which I lost last month. Luckily it blew ashore near Kingscote and a local turned it in the the police station.

I'm at anchor on the Gold Coast, having a nice coffee, and about to cook bacon and eggs for breakfast, we're heading back early to do some work on the boat, getting it ready to put it up for sale

Enjoying unseasonably warm weather in the mid-Chesapeake wishing we had our new trawler already while my husband watches LSU baseball and smokes a couple chickens on the Big Green Egg.

Wifey B: Tennis this morning. Lunch at Mermaid. On the way to Fredericksted to see Fort Frederick, the Estate Whim Museum, the Little La Grange Farm and Museum and the Estate Mount Washington Plantation. 72 degrees now, high today 82. :D

Enjoy St Croix, lived there for 3 years.

I took a day off working on my new anchor winch and we drove to Seattle. A nice day w lots of sunshine.

Went to Sure Marine about a stove issue and then to Fisheries Supply. Looked at the anchors of course and saw the Vulcan for the first time. Not a Rocna fan but I actually like this Vulcan a lot. It has a ballast chamber but it's shaped for minimal drag and then there's the Jaguar like shank. Like a very strong "I" beam and even classy looking.

But I've never seen a performance test of the Vulcan. So good as it looks it's basically an unknown but it really looks good to me. Don't know if I could ever purchase a product from the company though.

The best part of the day was lunch at the Salmon Bay Cafe.

Eric, isn't that the anchor Hopcar delivers for free? Maybe we could get a big enough order together to justify a Hopcar visit to the left coast.

Eric-The SB Café is one of my favorite out of the way places in Seattle! Forget all the new, fancy places springing up in Ballard, lunch there and dinner at Hattie's Hat and good band at the Tractor Tavern. Old-time Ballard. Plus, after you eat lunch there, you can pick up a few tons of sand or gravel right next door!

I took a day off working on my new anchor winch and we drove to Seattle. A nice day w lots of sunshine. Looked at the anchors of course and saw the Vulcan for the first time. Not a Rocna fan but I actually like this Vulcan a lot. It has a ballast chamber but it's shaped for minimal drag and then there's the Jaguar like shank. Like a very strong "I" beam and even classy looking.
The best part of the day was lunch at the Salmon Bay Cafe.

Just one question Eric...did wondering about that Vulcan anchor leave you sleepless..? :D

I went to the boat Saturday to install this Blue Seas dual USB charge port, it seems more and more electronic devices use it now. It is on the side of the "dashboard" of the lower helm. So accessible when using any of them as plotter communications etc. The old "cigarette lighter" type 12V outlet on the right doesn't get much use any more.

Attachments

• USB dual charging port.JPG
    USB dual charging port.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Steve,
We have a cig lighter there and I use it most of the time to power my i-pad ... for Navamatics charts.

Our Tolly has cig lighter in master state room on side of 3/4 tall hanging closet with flat top for storage. Charges phones and powers house bank batt-level tester.

Today we tied up at the fuel dock bow in so we could uninstall our former anchor rode (all line) and install my Christmas present of 200' of G4 followed by 100' of line. Thanks again Hopcar! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ready for anchoring this summer!

I just checked in at my dorm/hotel in Baltimore. I'll be taking some classes over the next two weeks. ECDIS and some Leadership and Management thing. I'll also be renewing my radar observer. I was thinking about popping into Annapolis this coming weekend. I've never been. Anything worth seeing this time of year?

I just checked in at my dorm/hotel in Baltimore. I'll be taking some classes over the next two weeks. ECDIS and some Leadership and Management thing. I'll also be renewing my radar observer. I was thinking about popping into Annapolis this coming weekend. I've never been. Anything worth seeing this time of year?

Yes. We love Annapolis. Obviously the Naval Academy comes to mind. Not much going to be taking place at the marinas this time of year. We find just walking the historic, old town area is enjoyable. The Maritime Museum and Thomas Point Lighthouse are places we enjoyed. There are some very nice walking Colonial Tours.

Lot's of great restaurants depending on what type food interests you. A few we recommend included Boatyard Bar and Grill, Wild Country Seafood, Level Small Plates Lounge, Ms. Shirley's, Chop House.

I've been putting in my spiffy new pilothouse windows. Everything with blue tape gets new aluminum framing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 185
Hanging out in Sugarloaf bay, a part of Middle Harbour which is part of Sydney Harbour. Last night caught the reflection of the sun on houses as it was going down and the full moon rising. Magic. Been on the boat 3 weeks just hanging out on the harbour with little projects such as rewiring lights and reading and cleaning and readind oh and eating and reading:):) oh and the odd glass of red and reading:) Also enjoying the extra power from the newly installed wind generator

Attachments

• 20160222_195704.jpg
    20160222_195704.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20151128_074236.jpg
    20151128_074236.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 57
We're still on the hard checking off maintenance items. Very much looking forward to our shakedown trip mid March. Still on schedule for it, so that's good.

Sitting out the weather here on the dock, Freeport marina, Freeport,TX. Got up early and caught this shot.

image.jpg

Drinking wine on the patio. Looking at my dying plants.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456184199.640692.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456184199.640692.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I went to the boat Saturday to install this Blue Seas dual USB charge port, it seems more and more electronic devices use it now. ..... The old "cigarette lighter" type 12V outlet on the right doesn't get much use any more.
You can get USB plugs which go into cigarette lighter sockets. And the mobile/cell phone charger I keep onboard has a USB charger outlet as well.

Sitting out the weather here on the dock, Freeport marina, Freeport,TX. Got up early and caught this shot.

image.jpg

She's never looked better, roguewave! Love what you've done with the paint. :hide:

At least you have your priorities straight!

You can get USB plugs which go into cigarette lighter sockets. And the mobile/cell phone charger I keep onboard has a USB charger outlet as well.

I use these, too. I have double USB adapter plugs. The better ones have a true 2.1A power supply from each slot. Many of the newer devices require 2A for adequate recharging.

What's changed? Old windows leaking?

The old windows were unnecessarily huge. The area of blue tape was area that the old windows once occupied. The photo shows the new windows in place and the blue tape covering the blank area surrounding, soon to be filled with 1/8" aluminum sheet to match the rest of the old window framing. Other mods to the pilothouse will match the Avatar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
You mean all this time you've had a fake avatar? Your boat really doesn't look like that?

Ummmm...waitaminute...so do I...nevermind.

I ran the boat outside from Wrightsville Beach to Charleston on Friday night with a couple of buddies. Successfully docked in a tight spot at Charleston's Megadock (there was current, and I'm still learning).

Left her in Charleston. Can't wait to return with my better half for a relaxing weekend.

"Pumping up" (physically/emotionally) for an overnight trip sometime around the upcoming weekend to purchase diesel fuel in Pittsburg; meanwhile dealing with home-association-member over-due payables as well as hosting sons' birthdays.

Back
Top Bottom