Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #61
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
known to slip on a dress for special occasions.
I dunno---- He married a pretty foxy lady, a young Creole girl named Louise-Eleonore Broudou who he met when he was stationed on what is today Mauritius.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #62
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Oh? "Corporations are people"... aren't they, as per Mitt Romney contends, who you may have voted for... seeing as in another thread you were sure to mention you did not vote for Obama!
Art--- You have long since mastered the art of the bizarro-world post , but this one takes the cake. What the hell has Mitt Romney-- who I didn't vote for actually---- have to do with the subject of boat personalities or lack thereof?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #63
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Art--- You have long since mastered the art of the bizarro-world post , but this one takes the cake. What the hell has Mitt Romney-- who I didn't vote for actually---- have to do with the subject of boat personalities or lack thereof?
Don't you remember Mitt's early in campaign corporate-defense foobah when he told questioners who were condemning corporate tax loopholes and rates that "Corporations are People To”? Therefore, in abstract, Mitt inferred human personalities onto Corporations. Vaguely similar to placing personality traits on other non-living objects... such as cars or planes. guffaw, guffaw, guffaw...

That Said: Of course "female" boats always have their very own personalities. Male boats... not so much so! lol

And, you didn't vote for either Obama or Romney... hummmmm
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #64
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
;and, you didn't vote for either Obama or Romney...
I was out of the country for the whole election so didn't get to vote for anybody this time around. Not that it would have made a lick of difference as none of the important races were very close in the end.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #65
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Good catch, NS! I never noticed that before. On the TF app, the red bar at the top of the first page loaded says "Tawler Forum".
So no dwarfs need apply...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #66
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Nice try. It's a friggin' boat fer Christ's sake. The next thing I know you'll be waxing eloquently about the feelings of the manhole cover over the storm drain at the bottom of my street.
PS--- Jean-Francois de La Pérouse was a guy.
and previously said....
Sorry, but this whole "she" business and "boats have personalities" is, in my book, total nonesense. With the exception of the fuel on board, which is volatile, a boat is a collection of totally inert, uncaring, un-alive chemicals, wood, and metal. Even the wood is dead by the time it gets put on a boat.
Anthromophising this collection of inanimate materials is totally meaningless. Like the re-naming ceremonies. You think the boat gives a hoot in hell what name is painted or stuck on it?
Why Marin...that's verging on what one might almost call, nautical nihilism....
nihilistic - definition of nihilistic by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #67

Speed is the biggest issue.....motor yachts have planning hulls, trawlers do not
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #68
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Don't you remember Mitt's early in campaign corporate-defense foobah when he told questioners who were condemning corporate tax loopholes and rates that "Corporations are People To”? Therefore, in abstract, Mitt inferred human personalities onto Corporations. Vaguely similar to placing personality traits on other non-living objects... such as cars or planes. guffaw, guffaw, guffaw...

Since corporations are owned by people, people are affected by corporation tax rates. If you have any investments or your retirement account is invested, most likely you are a part owner in one or more corporations.

Mr. Romney's mistake was underestimating the stupidity of the electorate.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #69
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Since corporations are owned by people, people are affected by corporation tax rates. If you have any investments or your retirement account is invested, most likely you are a part owner in one or more corporations.

Mr. Romney's mistake was underestimating the stupidity of the electorate.
Mitts mistake, same as the mistake of delegates who chose him to run for office, was underestimating his own [Mr. Romney's] stupidity.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #70
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Who is Mitt Romney?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #71
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Who is Mitt Romney?
That a tongue in cheek? Just incase you're serious...

Mitt Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #72
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
More important than WHO is Mitt Romney is WHY is Mitt Romney!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #73
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
You guys are going to get this discussion moved to off topic as it has nothing to do with the discussion.

I agree with most of the definitions and replies, especially that high heels can be worn on a yacht as we wear high heels on the Eagle. For some it’s a toy, for some its relaxation and for some it’s a home. The best definition I like is Pleasure trawlers are boat the look like trawlers, which is dependant on the person’s idea of what a trawler looks like.

The biggest difference is the appearance/look of the super structure as some mfg use the same hull and running gear on the sleek boats/cruisers and the trawlers. Its important to look further then what the supper structure look like as to what the boat really is. To me 95% of the pleasure trawlers are not trawler beyond the super structure. The important thing is to put the boat up against/side by side what you consider a true trawler and see how it compares. The Eagle even though she has never drag/pulled nets as about as close to a pleasure trawler and you are going to get.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #74
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
More important than WHO is Mitt Romney is WHY is Mitt Romney!
Even more important is that he is now perfectly irrelevant - not that he was ever relevant to anything or anyone other than those who stood to make a fortune if he had been elected.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #75
Guru

Phill,
Yes of course. TC our bad.

The real boat can only be seen below the water line.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #76
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
You guys are going to get this discussion moved to off topic as it has nothing to do with the discussion.

I agree with most of the definitions and replies, especially that high heels can be worn on a yacht as we wear high heels on the Eagle. For some it’s a toy, for some its relaxation and for some it’s a home. The best definition I like is Pleasure trawlers are boat the look like trawlers, which is dependant on the person’s idea of what a trawler looks like.

The biggest difference is the appearance/look of the super structure as some mfg use the same hull and running gear on the sleek boats/cruisers and the trawlers. Its important to look further then what the supper structure look like as to what the boat really is. To me 95% of the pleasure trawlers are not trawler beyond the super structure. The important thing is to put the boat up against/side by side what you consider a true trawler and see how it compares. The Eagle even though she has never drag/pulled nets as about as close to a pleasure trawler and you are going to get.
I agree with you - Your BOAT is as close as it comes to definition of what could be called a "Pleasure" Trawler! Albeit, still being simply a Pleasure Cruise Boat!

And, you are soooo correct, re some builders using same hull design for various models under their brand name. That said is one reason why I don't refer to our Tolly tri cabin as a Trawler. Cause its hull is same as the Tolly sedan sport fisher, with a lot more comfort and deck room added via superstructure and interior design alterations... but, it’s even more seaworthy due to substancially improved amidships low center of gravity engine, gen set, and fuel tank placements; as well still being a fast planning boat when desired to pull away from the harness of hull-speed.

Tollycraft only built one model that I believe could be somewhat referred to as a "Pleasure" Trawler. It was factory model named “Tolly Costal Cruiser”, called “37’ Trawler” in 1977, and “37’ Long Range Cruiser” in 1978... produced for two years, few sales, then disbanded. Visit “Model selection” at http://www.tolly-classified.com/class3.html See picture here for one in real life.

She has a fly bridge to rear above enclosed pilot house and Portuguese bridge forward of pilot house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	14515  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #77
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Even more important is that he is now perfectly irrelevant - not that he was ever relevant to anything or anyone other than those who stood to make a fortune if he had been elected.
Correct-O-Peel!!! Good thing Mitt was to stupid to fully realize what he needed to say and how he needed to act in order to get enough election winning votes. That man is for one thing only - purchase and burden with debt; then liquidate every profitable portion to make gobbbbs of $$$$ for himself and his "friends". I'm not at all saying that President Obama is correct in much of what he does... far from it, and I wish we had a better leader... but, I am saying that Romney and his cronies would likely have financially raped the USA... even more so than what is/has been done! We (U.S.) are in one hell of a financial fix!!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #78
Guru

That boat in your post # 76 is a Tollycraft!

Style wise things don't match up too good. I like the "cruiser" style w fwd pilothouse much better. Can you post a pic of one of them?

THREAD CREEP!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #79
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I grew up with Tollycraft as it was mfg in Longview/Kelso WA where I grew up, and I must have toured the plant at least a hundred times. I like that Tolly design as we like a pilot house . At the time they were a little out of our price range as there was very few. I was sorry to hear when they went out of business. I had heard many of the molds where bought/shipped to Mexico, so I figured we would start seeing boats, but as far as I know that never happened. They originally where know for samller boat under 30 then 40 ft, and thin the finally years the last there followers dropping the small boats and for the laeger 40+ ft boats. You can see the models by years.

Anyway, being born in Ocean Falls BC, the only way to get there was by ship, and local transportation was by boat, and the growing up in Longview/Kelso on the Cowlitz and Colombia river I have been dreaming that some day owning a large boat. So 30 years later the dream finally came true thanks to my wife.

Eric if you click on http://www.tolly-classified.com/class3.html all the modles by year will come up.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #80
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
... as we wear high heels on the Eagle.
We? Really? Pics or it didn't happen (smile)