Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Real trollers troll for salmon;

(found photo here)
Return of the Fishboats | Lighthouse Memories
"Real" Fishing Trawlers' hard working Captains don't have time nor desire to help us discuss the BS play-time (and even some important social) items we toss around on TF. We lucky owners and users of Recreational/Toy Trawers, Cruisers, Cabin Boats - Do! And, for that reason I count my blessings while enjoying being an active TF contributor.

Happy Boating Daze - Art

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 AM   #22
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Art, no doubt you have a handsome/fun yacht/boat/fast-slowtrawler.

Thanks, Mark - And, you have one of the few sail stabilized, actual trawler-type designed pleasure boats on TF... A Real Good Looker too!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Real trollers troll for salmon;

Figure 1. Real trawler.
Figure 2. Toy boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrimp Trawler.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	14478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toy Boat.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	14479  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Figure 1. Real trawler.
Figure 2. Toy boat.
My guess is that the person that told you they were looking out for toy boats would refer to a 65' Trawler like in your picture as a toy boat as well. It is all in their frame of reference. 1,000' RoRo and a 90' working or pleasure boat. Both the same as far as the big ship is concerned.

Ask a 747 Captain what he thinks of your Beaver. No better yet ask a F-18 pilot.

I'm with Mark. Recreational or Pleasure but Toy and Clorox Bottle are just derogatory terms.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
For what I paid for my boat, I'm not going to call it a "toy". The manufacturer called it a "trawler" so that's what I call it.

A friend and slip neighbor at my marina enjoys calling out "Look at you, millionaire yacht owner shopping for groceries!" whenever he runs into me at the grocery store.

What's the difference between a boat and a yacht? A woman can wear heels on a yacht.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #26

City: Lusby, MD
Vessel Name: Pleasure Island
Vessel Model: Marine Trader DC 34'
When I describe my Marine Trader to my boating challenged land-locked relatives I tell 'em it's a floating Winnabago. They understand that. They have no concept of displacement hulls, coastal cruisers, passagemakers, or trawlers. They can understand diesel power, generator, galley, head, and berths, not to mention the awning and sun deck. It serves to get them away from the idea that I own a yacht, which to them brings to mind 007 movies, helicopters, and speargun toting crews.
LarryBud49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
A woman can wear heels on a yacht.
Only on special occasions in the owner's stateroom.

The crew would courteously inform her that she must remove them before setting foot onboard.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Years ago we used to fly Saberliner jets on my job. In the late '80s, we purchased a number of Beechcraft King Air 300 turboprops, which many viewed as an equipment downgrade. One of our pilots often referred to the King Air as a toy airplane. It reflected his poor attitude and unprofessionalism toward his job of flying a King Air. He felt it was a simple airplane and not worthy of his best efforts. He didn't last long and was removed from the cockpit for his unprofessionalism.

I think referring to something which demands a respectful, deliberate and professional approach to operate safely as a toy displays a cavalier attitude.

Nearly every time the term "Trawler" is used here on Trawler Forum, a vocal minority pipes in with their incessant objections. To them I say, we heard you many times before, now get over it. For Pete's sake, this is TRAWLER Forum!!

Now back to the OP, "What's the difference between a motor yacht and a trawler?"

He's asking about the boats most of us affectionately refer to as trawlers, i.e. recreational trawlers.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
Guru

whats the diference between a motor yatch and a trawler?

My defining point for a yacht vs "xxx boat" is based on....Who maintains/performs routine repairs.

If you show up at the dock, fire up the motors, cast off, and the tanks are full, engines serviced, fridge/cabinets stocked, H2O tanks filled, holding tanks emptied from last trip, and the boat is clean with a nice shiny wax job, and you did nothing but write a check, Mr Howell, you and Lovey own a yacht, regardless of size!
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
For Pete's sake, this is TRAWLER Forum!!
For the record, when I log on with my phone, it says "Tawler Forum", no "r".
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
For the record, when I log on with my phone, it says "Tawler Forum", no "r".
Good catch, NS! I never noticed that before. On the TF app, the red bar at the top of the first page loaded says "Tawler Forum".

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Can't be pirate forum then...no AAARRRHHH...
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

An acquaintance of ours in Dubai recently bought a Bugatti Veyron. This is a $1 million car. When we met with him the other week he referred to it as his "toy car" in comparison to the collector cars he also owns.

Our boats, regardless of what we paid for them, are also toys, pure and simple, and most of us are amateur boaters. To think of ourselves or our boats as anything more is delusional.

If everyone wants to pretend their boats are something that they're not it's nothing to me other than I think it's humorous. It's human nature to want to feel important so if pretending our toy plastic boats are "trawlers" or "motoryacts" makes one feel good, great. That's what grownup toys are all about, right?

We've had our boat for over fourteen years now. From day one when anyone asked us what kind of boat we have we have told them "an old cabin cruiser." Which is exactly what it is. At first we said we had an old trawler but this always promted people to ask, "Why'd you get a fishing boat instead of a pleasure boat?" So we stopped pretending and started calling it what it is.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #34
Art
Guru

All right, All right... bend my wrist - kick my knee – step on my toes!! My Tolly grew up over the past 35 years to mature into Trawlerdom! She’s become termed a full fledged TRAWLER - on Trawler Forum no less!!

But, when we go play with her... and she plays for us... she's still acts just like the great little recreational "Cruiser Pleasure Boat" that she once was, before she magically morphed into a “Pleasure Trawler” for the 21st Century... don’t cha know?!?!

Matter O’ Fact: Growing up, out and about, on and around New England waters and boat yards in 50’s to mid 70’s I never heard anything but a “Working Trawler” being called a Trawler. Closest I heard to today’s vernacular of referring to all sorts of “Pleasure Boats” or “Cruisers” as “Trawlers” was when someone (in yesteryear) might say... “... gee, that Cruiser is sort of got the lines of a Trawler. My, How times do change, and word meanings too! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. So... I guess the Working Trawler Captains should feel honored that a huge portion of the “Pleasure Boating” public has decided to copy their Working Trawlers’ boat model nomenclature (in definition generality of the broadest sense) and therein call a large swath of our Cruisers as Trawlers in this 21st Century.

Anyone can call our Tolly a “Trawler” all they want – she’s thick skinned, err fiberglassed, and she still feels just like a Pleasure BOAT to herself and us! Most work our Tollycraft tri cabin ever did in 35 years of her life (so far) was to help in other’s distressed circumstances a couple times... otherwise she and we are all into cruising and other sorts of R&R for play-time-fun. Most boats and boaters on TF have the same marine history and are looking to continue it too I bet; with a few exemplary exceptions for those who are diligent marine workers of course!! And, my Captain's hat is off to them.

BTW: Currently terming Pleasure Cruiser Boats as “Trawlers” was a marketing ploy that stuck-on real well... least that how I see it!

Happy Boating, errrr Trawler, Daze! - Art
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art;
Currently terming Pleasure Cruiser Boats as “Trawlers” was a marketing ploy that stuck-on real well... least that how I see it! [/FONT][/COLOR]
Absolutely correct. I have no idea who first thought of it other than I know it wasn't American Marine/Grand Banks, but it was a very successful branding gimmick to make people think that toy pleasure boats possessed the same design and construction specs, strength, and "seaworthiness" of working, open-ocean commercial fishing boats. It worked wonders at duping boat buyers and the name has stuck to the toy boat market ever since.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #36
JD
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
An acquaintance of ours in Dubai recently bought a Bugatti Veyron. This is a $1 million car. When we met with him the other week he referred to it as his "toy car" in comparison to the collector cars he also owns.

From day one when anyone asked us what kind of boat we have we have told them "an old cabin cruiser." Which is exactly what it is. .
I think if you were to think about it he is being bit facetious. "Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant." You know it isn't a toy and he knows you know.

If you like using the word toy so much why do you not refer to your boat as "an old toy cabin cruiser."?

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
Old 12-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Whatever you want to call them is fine by me. I have a "boat" that, for the moment, suits my lifestyle

And, no matter what you call them, and whether they be commercial or recreational, they all are the same: a hole in the water etc.

However, (theoretically, of course), the commercial ones make money over and above expenses for the owner.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #38
JD
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post

The crew would courteously inform her that she must remove them before setting foot onboard.
Reminds me of a Miami Boat show back in the 80's. The Cuban ladies would come onto the boat with 4" spikes and short shorts with a halter top. They would ask if they needed to take off their shoes and we would of course say no. So some clown comes aboard and gave me some grief about his shoes by pointing to one of the ladies with the 4" heels. I told him that if he looked like her in heels he could wear them but as far as I could tell he had to take his shoes off. Wasn't real happy, but we were.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #39
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post

Couldn't agree more...

I think a "boat" that you have to have "boat" shoes on is a "yacht" which I'll visit on occasion but would never own one. Any boat that I can't wear my work boots on or drop a tool on deck without someone wincing isn't in my high regard. Pretty but like jewelry....for someone else with less "beer" like habits...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I think if you were to think about it he is being bit facetious. "Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant." You know it isn't a toy and he knows you know.
Of course it is. He doesn't need it, it's not for work, and he takes it out now and again to play with it for fun. His words. If that's not a definition of a toy, what is?

Quote:
If you like using the word toy so much why do you not refer to your boat as "an old toy cabin cruiser."?
I do. I tell people our boat is just a toy, or a toy boat, all the time. Because that's all it is.