Old 10-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
TNK

City: Tampa
What's the deal with all that wood in the cabins

Hello everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, and my question might be taken as trolling, but I assure you that it is a legitimate question, and I am really curious. I am in the off topic forum, so I should be good.

So, what is the deal with all that wood in the cabins. It seems to me that any boat, no matter if it is big or small, luxurious or not, they all have a lot of wood in the cabins. And I can't understand why. There has to be better, cheaper materials out there. Just look at those pictures:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/W...fHOrir70hx.jpg
http://www.yachtworld.com/boat-conte...2/06/R31-5.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vAYwNsasVr.../DSC03830a.jpg

Every inch is covered in wood. I guess you all know what I am talking about.

Does it have something to do with prestige or is there a practical reason that I am missing? Because if you ask me, as a practical person, I would use the most appropriate material for the each use. I doubt that wood would top the list each and every time. And not only that it is not the best material, but it is expensive and hard to maintain.
TNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I went ahead and moved your thread from the Off-Topic forum to the General forum so you can have a better chance for responses. Welcome to the forum.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNK View Post
Hello everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, and my question might be taken as trolling, but I assure you that it is a legitimate question, and I am really curious. I am in the off topic forum, so I should be good.

So, what is the deal with all that wood in the cabins. It seems to me that any boat, no matter if it is big or small, luxurious or not, they all have a lot of wood in the cabins. And I can't understand why. There has to be better, cheaper materials out there. Just look at those pictures:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/W...fHOrir70hx.jpg
http://www.yachtworld.com/boat-conte...2/06/R31-5.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vAYwNsasVr.../DSC03830a.jpg

Every inch is covered in wood. I guess you all know what I am talking about.

Does it have something to do with prestige or is there a practical reason that I am missing? Because if you ask me, as a practical person, I would use the most appropriate material for the each use. I doubt that wood would top the list each and every time. And not only that it is not the best material, but it is expensive and hard to maintain.
First of all Welcome,
There are boats available out there that have plastic interiors.. look for a older Bayliner and you should be able to fill the need for no wood.
Wood has better properties for longevity, doesn't get wet like fabric, doesn't pick up boat stink... and just plain looks better.
I am sure there are " cheaper" materials.. but who gets into boats to be thrifty?
I personally have not seen a boat without a wood interior that I wood
( pun) want.
HOLLYWOOD

Attached Thumbnails
boat int.jpg  
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I personally have not seen a boat without a wood interior that I wood
( pun) want.
HOLLYWOOD
Of course you haven't! I'm pretty sure you're a teak & holly guy or is it a holly & wood guy?

(Man! That's lame isn't it?)
Old 10-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
No wood = no rot = not really a trawler.
Timber boats are the last preserve of the cabinetmakers art. There are great skills in following complex curves and angles and, and concealing fixings. I saw 2 expert land carpenters fixing a timber hull, they had needed help from shipwrights for the hard parts.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
LOL!! Oh, Walter!!! You're full of 'em tonight!! Did you eat Wheaties for dinner or straight grain alcohol?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Boats were made of wood.
Then they made swimming pools out of fiberglass and realised if it keeps water in it would probably keep water out so they turned the swimming pools over put engines in them and called them boats and to keep the traditional boat builders happy they lined them with wood.

Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I once had a 20' Tasman 20 trailer yacht - had no lining except the smoothed gelcoated fibreglass inside. The PO had lined it up to window level with stuck on carpet. We then had a 26' Gazelle maxi trailer yacht - same again, only factory lined with a special material liner. Functional, light, but no character. Teak veneer beats that look hands down, and is not much heavier than material or vinyl liner, and weight for volume lighter than fibreglass, and in my 9 tonne CHB 34, (ie our kind of vessels), that weight is irrelevant. Does that help answer the question TNK..?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
[QUOTE=TNK;185508]Hello everybody,

So, what is the deal with all that wood in the cabins.

[QUOTE]

TNK

Taint nutten wrong wit a Lil Bit O' Good Ol Wood Inside a Boat... of dat, we gots plenty, and enjoy the heck out of it's natural warmth!

It's the wood outside that requires MUCH care! Of that... we have virtually NONE, and enjoy this low-care feature of our Tolly Boat!

Welcome to TF! Happy Boaten Daze!! - Art
Attached Thumbnails
Forward interior - Pilot and Galley.jpg   Salon Astern.jpg   TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg   Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Time to take some new photos Art...I feel like those folks in the pic are neighbours now...
Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
FF
Guru

>Every inch is covered in wood. I guess you all know what I am talking about.

Does it have something to do with prestige or is there a practical reason that I am missing?<

The concept was if the first time boat buyer (the usual TT buyer) saw lots of nice shelacked wood (eye candy) he would not look at the construction, wiring , engine setup, fuel tanks , and would not have the boat surveyed before purchase.

AN interior woodwash worked for about a decade until folks found out how their :teak decks: were installed.

In the 70s I made a nice living outfitting and trouble shooting these new boats .

Today their construction std. is well known and old boats are priced by weather the initial construction problems were solved or not.

Caviat emptot
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Time to take some new photos Art...I feel like those folks in the pic are neighbours now...
and add some nick-nacks or something on the bulkheads. The boat looks kind of bare.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNK View Post
So, what is the deal with all that wood in the cabins.
Mostly tradition and visual warmth.
Attached Thumbnails
Tradition.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #14

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
I'm thinking the manufacturers want to add warmth and character to the interior. My 73 Gulfstar has teak faced plywood in the main salon and stateroom, and wood grain Formica everywhere else. At least they left out the bead curtains and lava lamp. Cheap and simple, I guess. We painted over some, and I covered most with bead board. Added a nice traditional touch and brightened up the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0014.jpg  

"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think Willard used Willy in a boat show as there's much more wood on her than any other Willard I've seen.

In #1 pic the teak above and below the windows is not standard. Throughout the boat there is much more teak.

The 2nd pic is of Willy when we first saw her. Teak was all around the outside of the cabin ... just screwed on. We took it all off of course just before we went to Alaska. The plywood in the cabin would have been rotten by now if we hadn't. Had no bedding under the teak. The cabin's fine though. Must have been in covered moorage all her life .... until we got her.

I think the motto was "if you're worried if it will sell through some more teak on it". I like Willy being special though.

Peter you haven't seen the 2nd pic.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71158 copy 4.jpg   willard 015 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Guru

City: somewhere
My sanpan has no wood on it, inside or out.

Yea!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
In #1 pic the teak above and below the windows is not standard. Throughout the boat there is much more teak.
Eric; Please forgive me if I'm dead wrong but the "teak" you speak of does not look like teak! I've never seen so many knots and slant grain on teak like that. It's very hard to tell from a photo but it looks more like cherry than teak.

Here's some shots of the teak in my boat. Note the grain.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4607.jpg   IMG_3857.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Eric do you have a current picture taken from the same angle?
Attached Thumbnails
image-1030734172.jpg  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Eric; Please forgive me if I'm dead wrong but the "teak" you speak of does not look like teak! I've never seen so many knots and slant grain on teak like that. It's very hard to tell from a photo but it looks more like cherry than teak.

Here's some shots of the teak in my boat. Note the grain.
Actually it looks like iroko, it is marketed as " poor man's teak ". I use it for wood to match the teak in my Ocean Alexander.. I have mixed a stain to look just like the old teak.. it fools just about everybody.

HOLLYWOOD

I like all the original wood on Eric's boat... now if I could get some of the
"niece's" from some of the other posts to refinish the wood .. life would be perfect.. but I am sure the Admiral would be less than happy!
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I am not a fan of exterior teak but that teak around the cabin top of your boat looks pretty damn cool.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote