Old 10-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I like the MS40 except for the size of the stateroom on the port side. Great for kids but the bunk length and deck overhang over the outer berth does not make for a comfortable nights sleep if you're an average size adult. We have a friend who has one and I end up sleeping up on the fly bridge or the sofa in the saloon.

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43
I guess I'm a sucker for the "trawler aura", whatever that is, though I agree that the MS 400 is a bit sterile. The bleach bottle look doesn't do it for me, though I recognize that there is great utility in these boats. I suppose that's why they sell Sea Rays and Carvers by the thousands.

Perhaps the Mainship is just a Sea Ray in more traditional packaging. Or maybe it's a houseboat with a bigger bow and better shearline. I'd love to have a more traditional looking boat, such as a Grand Banks 42, but I don't want the exterior wood. The GB Europa 36 is too small, and Europa 42s with single engines are not to be found.

KMA and I are on the same page- the Mainship 430 is a lot of boat for the money, and the space and quiet in the aft cabin are alluring, but....a covered cockpit is too important for me. I rented a Willard 36 this summer, and the covered "back porch" on the Willard is the best feature of the boat. We spent many hours there, both at the dock and at anchor. When it was raining, or the sun was blazing, the covered cockpit was the favorite hangout.

The Willard 36 is what got me looking at the Willard 40. The Willard 40 is the answer to most of the things I don't like about the 36. But there are few Willards on the market and they're all older boats. And my wife does not like old boat smell.

As for the Meridian 411, I never would have considered that one, but it does check off a lot of my boxes, and the looks are not bad for that type of boat. But, it has twins and no interior helm.

ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Re the "trawler arua" and your likeing the GB leads to the Nordic Tug. Also almost no exterior wood.
I don't see either the GB or the NT as comparable to a Mainship though. Seems like the same person wouldn't be interested in both types of boats.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:26 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
If you liked the M43 then several DeFever models may be worth a look. As well Tollycraft especially the 44.

Ten years ago when I saw retirement on the horizon we started out with considering Mainship's line including the 43. Next up were Tolly 48s and DFs
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Lopez Island
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Vessel Model: Mainship 400T
The Mainship 34 and 400 have a huge Flybridge, which really increases the living space of the boat. IMHO its the best feature of the boat. In the 400 they also added a "Summer Kitchen" which we tend to use more than our galley. The only other boats I have been on that have a similar large flybridge in the 40 foot range are Europa style boats, like the Mariner mentioned previously. I can't picture a Carver or SeaRay that has that type of flybridge.
Mainship400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Lopez Island
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Vessel Model: Mainship 400T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
If you liked the M43 then several DeFever models may be worth a look. As well Tollycraft especially the 44.
Totally Agree! The DeFever 44 is a very nice boat when compared to the Mainship 43
Mainship400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sydney
I asked my dear wife who also has a big say in buying our next boat to have a look on boatsale on the net for a cruiser/trawler that she thought would fit the question whats comparable to to a Mainship?

Answer : We have already spent months comparing boats and every time we end up saying nothing compares to a Mainship so stop stuffing around and just get on .

She is always right
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #28
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
Departing a bit from ABfish's criteria, an aft cabin is not necessarily out of play for us, keeping the MS43 in play. ... Like the OP, we like our outdoor space, so the MS43 is not at the top of the list.

As much as I hate to admit it, another model/mfg. has caught our eye: the Meridian 408/411/459. I know, they're not trawlers... and yes, they do look something like a floating bleach bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
KMAl
I was thinking the same regarding Meridian. I'd go a step further, if one is thinking Mainship 400 then SeaRay and Carver are comps as well.

Quote:
I'll assume you were joking. Sea Ray and Carver never crossed our minds. Not once. And no, the Meridian is not a comp to the Mainship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABfish View Post
KMA and I are on the same page- the Mainship 430 is a lot of boat for the money, and the space and quiet in the aft cabin are alluring, but....a covered cockpit is too important for me. I rented a Willard 36 this summer, and the covered "back porch" on the Willard is the best feature of the boat. We spent many hours there, both at the dock and at anchor. When it was raining, or the sun was blazing, the covered cockpit was the favorite hangout.

I get the "semi-equivalency" idea about the Meridian/Sea Ray/Carver/etc. That should also open the door to Silverton, Cruisers, etc... Not at all the same style of boat, but... can be functional, can be driven slowly, etc.

A common difference when comparing something like the Mainship 430 and our boat (and those others) is... the Mainship has better side decks, and our saloon interior is wider. Both were on our shortlist of three (MS400 was the third) and wifey chose beamier interior. I'd have chosen the 430, for the lower station and the side doors, but then all I do is drive, she deals with inside stuff.

Anyway, if you're considering those particular Meridians, you might also have a look at the Silverton 372/392MY (same boats), the 43MY, and the 410 and 430 Sport Bridge models. Although the former have covered aft decks and no cockpit, you might benefit from the comparison of inner spaces. The latter, OTOH, have extended bridges and cockpits.

FWIW, we have a cockpit... and use it only very occasionally. OTOH, we spend 95% of our outdoor time on the flying bridge... and that could very well be the case with a 430, a 400, a 34T, a Sea Ray, a Meridian, a Carver, etc... I like having the cockpit, wouldn't be without one, but... it's mostly just the pathway to the saloon. The flybridge, OTOH, is the centerpiece of the boat: great visibility, easy access (stairs, not a ladder), plenty o' space, load-bearing hardtop, etc.

Back to the MS430, 400, 34T... I'd wager a cup o' joe that you wouldn't use the cockpit as often as the bridge.

-Chris
Old 11-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #29
KMA

City: Merritt Island
We have need of the following, for various reasons:
  • Walk around deck(s); at least one, making an asymetric build ok
  • A (small) cockpit with transom door
  • A swim step
  • A flybridge or upper helm with opening windows. After all, we're in Florida.
So, every boat we consider must have these, or it's no go from the start.

The Admiral has ok'd a short area where she has to use an overhead grab rail for a step or 2 before having a full side deck, which kept the Meridian in the mix. Our last boat had a full beam saloon, and she doesn't want that now. Since she'll be doing most of the line handling, it's her call.

We're trying to keep "steep" ladders/stairs to a minimum. It's an age thing. We checked out the 53' DeFever that Tucker Fallon (yachtbrokerguy) has listed. An awesome boat that shows exactly as his photos indicate. 10 years ago, we would have been all over it. Today, the steep stairwells to below decks are a broken hip (or neck) waiting to happen. It was more than our initial budget, but we would have sold the house and lived aboard. The full standup ER almost made up for the steep stairs... but not quite

Quote:
Back to the MS430, 400, 34T... I'd wager a cup o' joe that you wouldn't use the cockpit as often as the bridge.
Chris, I won't take that bet, because you'd win. Our last boat had a nice cockpit, but we seldom used it... though our kids did. We had a small covered "California Deck" that we used a lot, as well as a great flybridge/boat deck for summer days at Catalina.

So, we'll keep looking... and sooner or later "The One" will pop up on the radar. This could be it! Anybody know approximately what it costs to add a new(er) 5kw generator?

Of course,that beauty begs a Florida newbie ICW question: How much does a 4'-5" draft limit me to ICW cruising in terms of anchoring? We have no desire to spend every night in a marina. I guess that's a question that should be posted in a different thread/forum.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Look at the Dutch boats like Lissen. That spelling is pretty close.
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #31
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Since we have a MS 400 (2005, twins), I understand exactly what you are going through in your search. I didn't really want a Mainship, my first choice was a 42 Sabre, but they were just out of our price range.

We really found nothing comparable in the same price range.

We had a 1973 Gulfstar for 9 years prior to the Mainship and put a lot of miles under its keel. After that boat though, I learned two things and these two were non negotiable for me in the new boat.

1. I wanted the ability to go faster at times, and in rougher conditions to be able to bang through rather than roll.

2. Minimal to no exterior wood. I kept the teak on the old boat in great shape, but after 9 years enough was enough. I was tired of dealing with it.

Three years into the new boat those were both good decisions. I don't miss the wood at all, ever. We run at about 15 knots about 1/2 the time.

We also wanted a big FB, a second cabin that would sleep both our boys, a walkout covered cockpit and a galley that would support our 3 to 5 week Bahamas trips. The 400 checked all those boxes, though my younger son usually sleeps on the couch.

There are a few things I don't like about the boat. The wiring is a little wonky, the genset access is terrible (I removed the sound shield which helps a lot) access to outboard sides of engines is just OK (not as bad as it looks). You can't see the transom from either helm when backing into a slip.

But overall we love the boat. I can find very few things to nit pick. It's a good sea boat, economical and easy to work on. Comfortable, reliable. The build quality of Mainships improved in the later models, the 400 is a better built boat than the 390 in many ways.

Personally, I did not find the single appealing as it gives up some speed and draws a lot more water. The engine access on the single isn't really better than the twin, just different.

You are correct, the salon access hatch is a bit of a bear to deal with, I'd love to figure out a way to hinge it.

Anyway, sorry to puke so much random info on the page, I know I am rambling. Hope this helps.

Doug
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
The Mainship 400 will fit those specs very well. If you want to see more about the boat from a very knowledgeable owner, check out Steve Cyr's website for Stella Blue, his Mainship 400: Steven Cyr's Stella Blue Site

David
The new port/left/south to me neighbor in the marina has a new-to-him Mainship 400. In the last several weeks he's been there "stroking" his boat, least-wise when I've been to my boat. He seems like a happy "camper."
Old 11-02-2015, 12:20 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmiii View Post
Our 2007 Mariner 40 seems to fit the bill pretty close.

2007 Mariner Europa Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Sold here as a Clipper 40, and outsells Mainship. Only hesitation is most are singles, twins are less common, but most Mainships, esp 34s are single 370 Yanmar. Quality seems to be there.
Has a Fairway 36/37 ever made it to USA? Nice boats, check this one. Used Fairway 36 Flybridge Cruiser for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub. This is the old model, the new one in 2014 is nicer, bigger, and costs more, a used one is $385K AUD.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #34
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
We have need of the following, for various reasons:
  • Walk around deck(s); at least one, making an asymetric build ok
  • A (small) cockpit with transom door
  • A swim step
  • A flybridge or upper helm with opening windows. After all, we're in Florida.
We're trying to keep "steep" ladders/stairs to a minimum. It's an age thing.

Oddly, something like a Silverton 43MY may float your boat. I don't care much for their looks, but they've got all that stuff. Stairs to bridge, not a ladder. "Sidewalk" approach to bow from bridge. Not at all "trawler-ish" but the owners seem to like them very much.

I think Carver has an equivalent.

Not a recommendation, just a passing thought...

-Chris
Old 11-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #35
Guru

City: Northport
Perhaps the Bayliner 45/47 Pilothouse fits most all of these check off boxes with a budget that is well under the goal.
Of course I am biased as I have owned more than one of these now.
Pilothouse , two side doors, no ladders required, easy line handling, low draft , air space suitable for the loop, cruise at trawler speeds with trawler economy, able to get to 17 knot cruise with reasonable economy as needed, etc.

Just a thought since so many boat names and types are being thrown out there....
Good luck to all preparing for these adventures.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #36
KMA

Funny you should mention Silverton. Though not a fan initially, we were doing some marina walking yesterday, trying to decide where we'd like to berth whatever we buy, and happened across a Silverton in Cocoa Village. Nice looking boat. Can't remember the model/size though. Old age and CRS strike again I should have taken pics. Our neighbor bought a Silverton last year, and is keeping it down in Stuart. I should pick his brain a bit before moving forward.

Funny thing about Merritt Island marinas. We walked around Harbortown a bit, and stopped for a beer. Great facilities and very nice people, but the docks suck! Drove through Harbor Square... didn't even get out of the car. Went over to Cocoa Village marina, and though highly exposed to winds out of the north and east, we were impressed with the site itself. Walked around a bit, and saw some gorgeous boats. More larger boats here than at Harbortown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Oddly, something like a Silverton 43MY may float your boat. I don't care much for their looks, but they've got all that stuff. Stairs to bridge, not a ladder. "Sidewalk" approach to bow from bridge. Not at all "trawler-ish" but the owners seem to like them very much.

I think Carver has an equivalent.

Not a recommendation, just a passing thought...

-Chris
Old 11-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Most Carver or Sea Rays don't fit your sedan criteria. Carver pretty much owns the Aft Cabin market. Sea Ray owns the Express cruiser market. There is one Carver that fits your criteria. It is the Voyager 45. It is a sedan. It is well laid out. And the than the steps from the main level to the forward living areas(and flybridge steps), that is all they have. Anyway, they are not hideously ugly. But they certainly aren't "classically styled". Anyway, a thought. One thing is they are powered to plane. So they are twins and usually pretty big twins.

PS...I have owned both a Mainship and a Carver. The Carver is the better built boat...both structurally and engineering wise. I have absolutely nothing against the Mainship. I loved my Pilot. I went into Carver ownership with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It certainly isn't perfect but you can tell somebody was at least thinking(about systems access,etc.). ANd the owner's manual surprised me as well. The Mainship manual was basically written by lawyer with no real substance....just warnings and cautions and "see your dealer" for the important stuff. The Carver manual has systems diagrams similar to those found in my flight manuals. I was impressed as I have never had a boat that had an OM as thorough as this....admittedly the Catalina sailboat I had was close.
There are a lot of good things about buying American boats. Many I have stated above. One thing is the lack of exterior wood. Another thing is windows generally do not leak. My boat is dry. It smells like a house downstairs...not a boat(no diesel smell...no sewage smell). Another thing is you can call the manufacturer with questions and locating parts. Mainship was not as well sorted out(as Carver or Catalina) before they went tango uniform, but it was a lot of help. I would imagine the new Marlow Mainship could at least get you on the right path for locating parts and services. FYI...both Carver and Catalina I was able to give them a HIN and they could tell me how the boat left the factory...shaft sizes...prop sizes and pitch...engine serial numbers. It is quite a nice resource when you are chasing things down.
Good luck with your search. With everything said, I am a tremendous fan of Mainship. I would not hesitate to own another.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43
Dougcole, thanks for your comments. There's nothing like input from a genuine owner of the model in question.

Manyboats comments caused me to reconsider the Nordic Tugs. I like the space on the NT 42. I also like the NT 37/39, but the cockpit is too small for my taste. My thoughts on the NT42:

-The wife and I will be empty nesters in 6 months. I doubt the kids will do much overnight cruising with us in the future. So my boating will consist of the just the two of us, or trips with another couple, or trips with me and a couple of guy friends.

-The NT 42 offers two cabins with separate heads. The master stateroom is accessed by a stairway from the pilothouse, and the guest stateroom is accessed from a stairway in the saloon. This separation of access offers unusual privacy in a non-aft cabin boat. That's a big deal (for us) when cruising with another couple. The two stateroom/single head arrangement on the MS400 is much less private.

-The NT's build quality, by all accounts, is much higher than the Mainship. Sort of like a Mercedes versus Chevy comparison.

-The pilothouse is starting to grow on me. These folks make a great argument for the pilothouse versus flybridge, and I agree with most of their logic: http://www.trawlersmidwest.com/pdf/BNtrawlerapril.pdf

-The biggest negative for the NT42 is the much higher price. There are few on the market under $350K.
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #39
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
We looked at Nordic Tug a little bit. They make a really great boat and I like them, but my wife felt that they were "sterile" down below. They just didn't give her the warm fuzzies, especially for the price.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #40
KMA

ABfish, we are a lot alike. We are empty nesters, and will seldom have guests. Even when we do, it will seldom (if ever) be for more than a week. If we were still in California, I would be more likely to forego the FB. But being in FL now, I just can't see owning a boat without one. The fact is, CA cruising is different than FL cruising.

Our stark reality is we are severely limited by price. At 62/60, and with my medical history, we just can't justify going north of $250k. Hell, even that is a stretch unless we sell the house and move aboard. Unfortunately, it would (IMHO) be pretty irresponsible of me to put my wife in the situation where the boat is her only home if something were to happen to me. I can't do it.

Our old boat (back on the market, you can even see our little covered California Deck that we spent to much time on) is what we wanted before we knew what we wanted. Once we realized that, we started the search back in CA, and I found this (if you want to drool, click that link). It was the one that got away, and I still pine for her... literally. We could have had it for significantly less than the $1.495MM they're asking today. But that's another story.

Continuing our search, we got as far as a letter of intent on a N60 in 2008. But, my wife got sick, and that was that. A good thing, in a way... the financial meltdown hit us hard afterward, and we had to sell KMA (currently named Tango in the YW ad). Oh... the wife is fine, by the way

So, here we are, struggling to balance wants vs. needs vs. $$. I've looked at so many boats on YW that it's making my head spin. Every search I run is overloaded with Carvers, Cruisers, Mainships, Meridians, and Sea Rays. There have been times in the last couple of weeks where I've asked the wife if I should just forget about it. She tells me no (God, I love her... even after 42 years!), then she reminds me that this shouldn't be a chore.

So, tomorrow I'll get up, and do another search to see what's out there.