Old 01-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Yanmar 240s

So I'm looking at this boat with 3400 hours. 2005 build. Twin Yanmar 240hp. So far everyone says no problem-- Yanmar engine surveyor says 10,000 hours no problem when well maintained, and he says these are. Others here on the forum have said the same thing.

But what about the PERCEPTION ??? What got me thinking was a post Endurance made about a Nordic Tug for sale with 4600 hours. His perception was that it could be close to worn out. Is that a common perception/misconception? Eventually I will sell this boat and it will have over 5000 hours I'm sure.

Thoughts ?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
So I'm looking at this boat with 3400 hours. 2005 build. Twin Yanmar 240hp. So far everyone says no problem-- Yanmar engine surveyor says 10,000 hours no problem when well maintained, and he says these are. Others here on the forum have said the same thing. But what about the PERCEPTION ??? What got me thinking was a post Endurance made about a Nordic Tug for sale with 4600 hours. His perception was that it could be close to worn out. Is that a common perception/misconception? Eventually I will sell this boat and it will have over 5000 hours I'm sure. Thoughts ?
I'm not a big fan of Yanmars, but I could totally see you getting 10,000 hours of it, as long as it's been maintained and serviced accordingly. I think he must of typed it wrong or is miss-informed.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Guru

No. It's on a recent thread about a Nordic Tug on Craigslist. And I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I just want to know...

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
No. It's on a recent thread about a Nordic Tug on Craigslist. And I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I just want to know... Thanks!
Yes, I saw that. Must of been a typo. Good Luck!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
So I'm looking at this boat with 3400 hours. 2005 build. Twin Yanmar 240hp. Thoughts ?
A few questions:
  • What model of Yanmar? Once you know the model you can go to the boatdiesel archives and read many pages of comments from owners.
  • Did the engine surveyor review service records, or were they available?
  • What kind of boat?
  • Have the after coolers been serviced/replaced?
  • Did the engine surveyor note the engines' temperature when run under load at full rated RPM?
  • Did you get a written boat surveyor's report summarizing what the engine surveyor found?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
Guru

Are repair parts still available, or are you SOL like some VOLVO owners?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
A few questions:[*]What model of Yanmar? Once you know the model you can go to the boatdiesel archives and read many pages of comments from owners.[*]Did the engine surveyor review service records, or were they available?[*]What kind of boat?[*]Have the after coolers been serviced/replaced?[*]Did the engine surveyor note the engines' temperature when run under load at full rated RPM?[*]Did you get a written boat surveyor's report summarizing what the engine surveyor found?
4lha stp
Don't have survey report yet on engines. Coming.

He reviewed records. Looked good.

I think temps were 180 at full load but need to verify in report.

Don't know if after coolers replaced. Don't think so. Is that needed at these hours? Cost?

I know coolant heat exchanger on port engine is new. Others have been recently serviced.

Exhaust elbows are stainless.

Will know more soon. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
A few questions:[*]What model of Yanmar? Once you know the model you can go to the boatdiesel archives and read many pages of comments from owners.[*]Did the engine surveyor review service records, or were they available?[*]What kind of boat?[*]Have the after coolers been serviced/replaced?[*]Did the engine surveyor note the engines' temperature when run under load at full rated RPM?[*]Did you get a written boat surveyor's report summarizing what the engine surveyor found?
Sorry it's a 2005 Endeavour 44 Trawlercat.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
4lha stp
Don't know if after coolers replaced. Don't think so. Is that needed at these hours? Cost? .
Yes, they are (over) due for at least a removal, cleaning, pressure check and new "o" rings. If in fresh water all its life yhou'd gain a couple of years but still at 9 years, it is ready.. The cost depends on access but could easily get to $2K if serviced only is OK and $6K if replaced. Your Yanmar dealer can give you a new replacement price.

It sounds like the vessel came out of charter with those hours.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Yes, they are (over) due for at least a removal, cleaning, pressure check and new "o" rings. If in fresh water all its life yhou'd gain a couple of years but still at 9 years, it is ready.. The cost depends on access but could easily get to $2K if serviced only is OK and $6K if replaced. Your Yanmar dealer can give you a new replacement price. It sounds like the vessel came out of charter with those hours.
Ok. Thanks.

I asked the current owner if this was a charter boat and they claim it was not. The story I got was the current owner bought it from the previous owner who used it to cruise the great loop and live aboard the boat for four years. This current owner Cruise up and down the eastern ICW.

But yes I agree it does have quite a few hours on it.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The Yanmar 4LH 240 hp engine is considered one of the best that Yanmar ever made and many wish that Yanmar still made them. Everything that others have said about maintenance and servicing the aftercoolers is true.

I would be little bit concerned about the main heat exchanger getting replaced. That might be an indication of poor zinc maintenance that might be reflected in other exchangers and the other engine. But hey given that this is a 3,000+ hour engine it sounds pretty good.

And don't take that last statement the wrong way. I agree with others that if properly operated and maintained this engine could easily go 10,000 hours.

Parts are still available but at Yanmar's high prices.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
(sorry some drift) That got me thinking. We all talk about getting 10,000 hours out of our engines. Don't think I've seen a boat listed that has more than 4,000-5,000 hours at most. Where are all the 10,000 hour boat for sale?
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
Guru

City: New England
Vessel Name: Culmination
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Sedan
I've give the BIG caveat that I am neither a mechanical engineer that designs engines, nor a professional mechanic that works on them (just an amateur who's been messing around with boats for 44 years).

FWIW, below are a couple of links to some interesting articles on diesels and service life (again FWIW, the views in the articles below have also been shared with me by some engine surveyors I've talked with). I know David Pascoe is controversial to some people, but, he knows a lot more than I do. The few times I've talked with him, I found him to be very knowledgeable and refreshingly direct and no-nonsense. No ownership or positions taken, it seems to be a hot topic, just FYI -

Power Options: Gas -vs- Diesel Part II - by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor on Marine Engines

Marine Engines : Power Options - Gas Versus Diesel

Marine Engines: More on Performance Diesels - by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor

I've heard and read from a few sources that diesel engine life might be more appropriately measured by total fuel consumed and not so much hours (which makes sense, 1 hour at 1000 rpm results in less piston travel and bearing revolutions than an hour at 3000 rpm; and more wear and thermal stresses will take place from burning 2 gals vs 20 gals of fuel).

I believe the estimated service life of a CAT 3208 is 15,000 gallons, and of the Cummins B5.9 series around 25,000 gallons. Assuming that, how many 'hours' the engine could last would depend on how it's used. Trolling along at 7 kts, 1400 rpms, and 2 gal/hr would suggest many more hours of life than if it spends most of the time at 3000 rpm and 15 gal/hr (as well as the maintenance it's received, which is probably the single most important factor).

There are far more experienced people here who know much more than I do about diesel engines....
Old 01-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
When we bought Hobo she had 5310 hours on her. Hours where not discussed during pre-purchase negotiations. She had good maintenance records and the engine has a good reputation and now we 7,935. The engine should go to 12-15K or longer before we have to do anything.

I would not worry about the 3400 hours or the 5000 hours she may have when you sell her. Don't take this the wrong way but you're worried about the hours she will have when you sell her now? Relax, take a deep breath. As David says these are good engines.

When do you close?
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3583537580.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	26799

Here is some temperature data from the engine survey.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
Guru

A poorly maintained engine will turn to toast very quickly, well before a few thousand hours in most cases. With the Yanmars in question, a failed after cooler followed by the shower exhaust elbow and then the HXs are the primary items to worry about. A poorly designed exhaust system allowing water to backflow into the engine is a good watch point too.

In other words, the MARINIZATION items.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #17
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2269702045.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	26800

Recommendations.

I'm trying to find out when the turbo after coolers have been serviced, or if they have ever have been serviced.

This crazy engine sure has a lot of coolers to fail-- coolant heat exchanger, oil heat exchanger, turbo after cooler, transmission coolers. Smh.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Yanmar engines are lite as compared to some other engines. I have had them in 2 boats, and have nothing but praise for them. Some of the liteness comes from engineered castings. Some from the use of alloy metals. Zinc maintenance should be top priority. Also the ones I have had called for only Dexron type antifreeze. I am coming up on heat exchanger maintenance time. Not cheap, but necessary. My engines have never gone the full recommended hours between servicing. Oh yeah, I do a valve adjustment at every service, and check the mixers on the exhaust.

Edit: This from an engine tech at Mastery Engines, the Yanmar engine distributor in St. Pete. He said that Yanmars need to be run. Run them at least as hard as to get up to recommended engine temps. If run slowly for a long period of time, run the power up to temps to clean them out. He recommended 75-90% power.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote