Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Just imagine someone trying to build a dam (in the USA) and flood a town today for whatever reason. There would be meetings and lawsuits well into the next century. There are people now trying to get dams removed from streams and rivers. Dams that provide flood control, irrigation, recreation and electric power.

We could do without the dams but we would have to get rid of most of the people. Go back to the population of the 1700s.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
In the east, states are condemning earthen dams left and right and removing them when necessary for decades worth of ignoring maintenance.

In cases where they had to be drained immediately for public safety reasons....entire lakeside communities with expensive homes now circle a giant mud pit that teams of all sorts of undesirable wildlife and effects.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #23
Guru

My son lives in Rocklin and took his two daughters to the lake. They found an outboard motor in the mud without a cover. My son figured the owner tried to start the thing , got fed up and tossed it over the side. As long as I see green golf courses there is no drought.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The Tennessee Valley Authority flooded towns and farms when taming the Tennessee River and tributaries. Communities and farms were flooded. Concrete silos can be seen on some of the lakes. Many here have benefited from the navigation aspects afforded by the projects. Others by the electric power and flood control. These are complex questions about if projects like this should be done. However, as long as we have people, engineers will figure a way to solve or create problems.

Tennessee Valley Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Let's stay out of the political arena in our discussion or else we'll end up having to move this to Off Topic. I'll follow up with photos of the town of Mormon Island when I get them.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #26
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I heard on the news this morning that a search for a private plane in the lake was called off. The plane was involved in a mid-air collision with another private plane in 1965. Four people were onboard the plane that hit the water (the other plane suffered minor damage and was able to land at a local airport). All four of the people lost their lives and one body was recovered shortly after the accident. The hope was to find the wreckage of the plane in the shallow water and recover the remains of the other three passengers.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I saw something on that, too. There was a specially equipped sonar search boat that volunteered to assist in the narrowed field of water with the low water level. 1965...49 years ago. A lot of mud could build up in those years. That could be a tough find.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #28
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Fly-I had just read an article in the paper last week abut your drought down there. Apparently most of the man-made lakes in CA are will below capacity. According to the article, there is a serious potential for water supply problems in SoCal this summer.

We are having a fairly dry winter up here. The snowpack in the Cascades (our version of a reservoir) is down quite a bit. Several of the lower elevation ski places have been unable to open until the last 2 weeks or so.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote